CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fork Springs

wadem

I find my bike suffers from too much fork dive and bottoms out easily over bumps. I was thinking about swapping springs for something a little stiffer and changing the fork oil. The bike has about 20,000 km and I weigh about 220lbs. What would you guys suggest? I can't really afford to spend a lot of money so price is a issue. Thanks

I have the same problem also. I bought the EIBACH MOTO SPRINGS with the whole kit new valves ect.......But I do not trust any of the mechanics around here and since I have all of the tool to do this job, so I would like to tackel it my self!

The only problem is......... I don't know how to go about doing it and need to get it done soon.

Did any of you guys do this job or have the same kit that I do and what steps did you take and parts used from the kit ect..........?

Thanks for any and all help and

HAppy New Years guys/Ladeis.

Wadem,

Springs, whether they're 1.0kg or 1.05kg straight wound or the suggested weight progressive and an oil change is the biggest bang for the buck. IMHO.

If your bike is a '97-'98 then a change to 5 wt. oil may prove to be too soft and you might not like the "whooshing" sound. For a nice highway ride though, that's the ticket. Otherwise, stick with the 10 wt.

For '99 and later 5 wt. oil works fine. If your mechanically adept....disassemble your forks and polish the fork tubes to reduce the stiction. That should prove to be a very noticable difference with the least amount of money spent.

I have found 34-36mm of sag to be about right. I can provide spacer lengths to get you damn close.

xxxbirdxxx,

Welcome to my world. After many different shim stacks, rebound check washer springs, by-pass orifice sizing, custom (lathe) made wave washer retainer/spacers on both of my aftemarket compression and rebound valves......I'm still not completely happy. It's very challeging to find the perfect set-up for your riding style and the local roads you ride on. Even experienced tuners have difficulty getting it right. It will definitely be a learning process. My main advice to you is DON'T drill a hole in anything! Second, deburr the circlip groove in the bottom of the damper tube before you remove the comp. vlv. assy or you'll cut the o-ring to shreds. Third, don't strip out the 6mm allen in the cartridge bolt at the bottom of either fork.

I'll be around if you get into a bind. :grin:

G2

i'm 205 and went with 1.05g traxxion (1.1 on left, 1.0 on right) straight rate springs. made a world of difference for braking!!!! with no more front end dive!

did the job myself as well, even though i'm not much of a mechanic.

top 5 mods for me :grin: