CBR1100XX.org Forum

Need help with my car......Please.

DaveK

My LOW beams cut out this morning....Both of them at the same time.

My high beams...fine, parking lights...fine.

All fuses...fine. Bulbs are fine.

What else should I check before bringing it to Honda ? Is there a relay ?

Thanks

Yes.

There's also a dimmer switch which switches the beams back and forth. Check the manual for the locations of the relays, or the Power Distribution Center (usually located under the hood, but can also have auxiliary PDC's under the dash, in the glove box, etc.)

Also, don't trust that the bulbs are fine without actually trying a different bulb in it's place.

My low beams both quit about a month ago. I got home after a 5 hour drive, shut the car off, and went inside for about 15 minutes. Came out, turned on the headlights, and they flickered, then went out.

High beams worked fine, and bulbs looked fine. I went to work, pulled out a wiring diagram, etc., and was about to dive into it when one of the guys I work with said "try new bulbs". I told him I already looked at them, and they're fine. I tried them, anyway, and they worked.

This is a common problem with the high output bulbs. Seems to lose the connection somewhere between the connector and the filament. Bulb looks fine, but doesn't work.

2 Head Lights...2nd set of PIAA bulbs. Last set the left one blew out...but I was abole to tell it blew out. PIAA sent a brand new set...they have been working fine for over 6 months. I am going to re-install the OEM's as soon as I get home.

The fuse is fine...but didn't know if those big relays in the fuse box controol the low beams as well as the fuse.

2 head lights....One bulb controls high and low beam. I am so pissed.

I want to check every possible option prior to bringing it back to honda.

I wonder if the 3 yr 36 thousand mile warranty covers the lights and electrical...??? Well....I have 46K on the car...but aren't some warranties for certain parts of the car longer ?

I should know this shit. FUCK.

Speaking of meters, for those you not into electrical stuff and who don't have one... Harbor Freight has lighted digital meters for $12. They work, and are as accurate as my high end meter. They won't take much abuse, but it's a good thing to have if shit happens.

Ditto for me on Harbor Freight. I got a set of 3 micrometers, great quality for $20, a code reader to interface with a cars PCM (computer) for $50, works great! Won't need to take car to shop except for inspection.

Almost forgot, not too familiar with Honda cages, I'm 200% Chevy, but you may read voltage at the bulb connector but when you hook up high current draw item (the headlights) it's too much. The headlight switch may still be bad.

Speaking of meters, for those you not into electrical stuff and who don't have one... Harbor Freight has lighted digital meters for $12. They work, and are as accurate as my high end meter. They won't take much abuse, but it's a good thing to have if shit happens.

The only meter I could find was the one that plugs into the lighter....can someone post a link to the page with all their meters ??

Thanks