CBR1100XX.org Forum

Need to add miles to a speedometer

Chewtoy

I've finally completed my blackbird project, and went to register it today. Was informed that I could not register it as CA considers any vehicle with less than 7500 miles to be NEW, and it would have to conform to current california vehicle standards. Given that it's a 1997 blackbird, that would be difficult.

So, is there a way to move the miles on a speedo FORWARD? Excepting hooking up a drill to the cable.

Or is there a better way to do this?

Fuck the DMV!

There is no mechanical cable to put a drill motor on, so that's not going to

work; the speedometer/odometer is electronic and the pick up is in the

transmission. You would have to find a way to change the number in the ECU

as far as I know, or put it on the center stand, leave it running in gear, until

you reach the mileage you want.

Or "sell" it to someone out of state until you reach the mileage.

I have changed the odo. was not that hard, the early number wheel is held in with plastic that is melted over, hot knife and out it comes, back in and hot knife it back over the shaft.

Let me know If you want me to do it...

Only half joking: install a speedohealer, set the correction switches to show you running as fast as it will go, and ride around the block a few times (assuming you don't have to pile on too many miles). The speedohealer alters the pick up signal, adding or subtracting pulses, to normally correct the reading to both the speedo and the odometer. It would also be a photo opportunity. :icon_biggrin:

post-142-1276781006.jpg

LOL!

Thanks for all the great ideas everybody.

I have to add about 3500 miles to the speedo, so I'm going to look into the speedohealer and pulse gen route. I'm mostly upset because I just got this thing together, and now I might have to take it apart again for no good reason.

Again, thanks, I'll have a look this wknd and report back.

How many miles need to be on the odometer?

For CA, it has to have 7500+ miles if it's not a CA emission spec vehicle.

Mitch, I've got a few pulse generators that should do the job. I can't believe that it would take too long, most likely the odometer will still count at a rate of 1000 mph or so, might be fun to watch it tick over.

I'm pretty much free with my time, and live in Tustin. Pm me your number and I'll drop by.

I've finally completed my blackbird project, and went to register it today. Was informed that I could not register it as CA considers any vehicle with less than 7500 miles to be NEW, and it would have to conform to current california vehicle standards. Given that it's a 1997 blackbird, that would be difficult.

So, is there a way to move the miles on a speedo FORWARD? Excepting hooking up a drill to the cable.

Or is there a better way to do this?

Fuck the DMV!

MitchT,

I had this same problem when I was a new resident to CA several years back and didn't know any better. I had purchased an Aprilia on eBay from a seller in AZ and the bike only had 4K miles on it. I tried to register it here in CA and got denied. They gave me a temporary permit by mistake (new and young DMV person) until I figured the situation out and I ended up riding on that for 1 year (it had expired 3 months after I got it so I was basically riding around illegally for 9 months). The problem for you now is that the DMV has record of you trying to register your bike with under 7500 on it and regardless of what you do to get above the 7500 mile requirement, they can easily look back and see that your bike is not registerable in the state. This is what they told me when I went back to try and get my Aprilia Futura registerd with over 7500 miles. I ended up selling the bike after 1 year to a CA resident who had to get the bike registered back in AZ through a friend's address. It was quite the mess. Luckily for me, he really wanted the bike. After I sold that, I bought an 02' XX from a seller in CA.

Now I know that if I buy a bike outside the state, it has to have more than 7500 miles when I bring it into the DMV the very first time. I typically only look at bikes for sale within CA now to avoid the DMV issues. The DMV here SUCKS! Plus, now they have that law where if it's an out-of-state vehicle and you have owned it less than 1 year when you bring it into the state, you need to pay CA a gap tax (tax difference between the location where you last registered it and your current CA location). On a car, this could be thousands of $$ that a person could owe the state just for having brought the car into the state! Total BS.

Best of luck to you on your 97' but you may be up a creek at this point, unfortunately. Please post the outcome when you get a chance ...I'd like to see what you experience.

Steve

Hi Steve,

The DMV doesn't know about the bike. I went to the AAA to register it, and they tore up the paperwork when they saw the odo, so the DMV is unaware.

If I have to, I'll tear the thing apart (again), and reset the odo.

Hi Steve,

The DMV doesn't know about the bike. I went to the AAA to register it, and they tore up the paperwork when they saw the odo, so the DMV is unaware.

If I have to, I'll tear the thing apart (again), and reset the odo.

Any relatives in other states? Sell it to them, Register it there, ride it for the necessary miles (couple of months) then have them sell it back to you (for a buck)

• 4 months later...

Update: Put the tag from my 750 on the bike and am riding it to work. Up to 6k miles now, should be up to 7.5k by January.

Now I know that if I buy a bike outside the state, it has to have more than 7500 miles when I bring it into the DMV the very first time. I typically only look at bikes for sale within CA now to avoid the DMV issues. The DMV here SUCKS! Plus, now they have that law where if it's an out-of-state vehicle and you have owned it less than 1 year when you bring it into the state, you need to pay CA a gap tax (tax difference between the location where you last registered it and your current CA location). On a car, this could be thousands of $$ that a person could owe the state just for having brought the car into the state! Total BS.

Can you drive vehicles around in CA (or any other states :icon_confused: ) with the rego from out of that state? Here in West Aus we are allowed 3 months before we need to re-register the bike in WA (I believe the other states work the same :icon_confused: ), this is to allow for people that are on holiday or in the state on a temporary basis to still use the vehicle without re-registering it :icon_surprised:

I know of lots of people that don't bother and just drive the vehicle and even pay their rego to the other state on the net :icon_think:

Can you drive vehicles around in CA (or any other states :icon_confused: ) with the rego from out of that state? Here in West Aus we are allowed 3 months before we need to re-register the bike in WA (I believe the other states work the same :icon_confused: ), this is to allow for people that are on holiday or in the state on a temporary basis to still use the vehicle without re-registering it :icon_surprised:

I know of lots of people that don't bother and just drive the vehicle and even pay their rego to the other state on the net :icon_think:

IDK about that, but the bike has had an Ohio reg for > 2yrs (it was a basket case when I got it).

I'm just to the point where I've said fuck it, it's too much fun to ride the thing, and I'll risk getting caught. It's even insured!

Besides, pretending to be the 'Black Devil of Moscow' nightly on the way home is addictive. <g>

I'll have the miles where they need to be soon, and it serves CA right to have to wait for the tax $$ since they are so damn stupid about it. Assholes that can't meet TSA standards end up in the California DMV.

FWIW, it is very easy to swap the mileage mechanism out. I had a 1998 XX and it fell of a trailer at 70 MPH. I bought a set of gauges of eBay but they read 30K miles, while my 1998 only had 7K at the time. I took the unit apart and swapped my lower mileage odometer into the gauges. I think I have the higher mileage unit in a drawer in my shop. PM if you want to play with it. Yours for the shipping...............