CBR1100XX.org Forum

new chain sprockets

aholexx

OEM chain is a DID 530ZVM. The OEM rear is the best. Very solid. You can easily go two chains per rear sprocket. The front depends on whether you want to change to a 16 tooth. I use the AFAM 16t and while it wears slightly faster then OEM, not by a lot. You must change the front with every chain, or more often if it wears faster than the chain.

You are supposed to replace both the front and rear sprockets with the chain. The sprockets wear to the chain, and if you install a new chain on an old sprocket, the chain wears out faster, because it is trying to ride in worn out holes (been there before LOL).

I know of a lot of our members that would disagree with you there.

My rear sprocket at 25K shows almost no wear. The front, I'm afraid to look. :oops:

Most guys will see their second chain last as long as the first, or sometimes longer. Seems to make no difference whether you change the rear sprocket or not.

I know of a lot of our members that would disagree with you there.

Yep. I'm on my second chain at a little over 24k. I replaced the chain and front sprocket (which was slightly hooked) at around 18k. Rear still shows almost no sign of wear.

I ordered my DID 530ZVM and Afam 16t sprocket from Kneedraggers today. 22K or so on the stock stuff was enough I think. Anyway, they get to my door for $152.92. Thats for a 120 link setup. Not bad at all I'd say. Local aftermarket shop says they'll put the new chain on for $15. I don't know if that includes losing a link for me or not. I can't wait until they get here and it warms up some. I'm really looking forward to feeling the difference.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay I've gone through the 97 service manual sect: 3-20 and other sections...only drive sprocket torques...................

What is the OEM front sproket #

What is the OEM rear spoket #

Figured out the chain: manual covers that..................

Gonna Try Ron Ayers, but they list two choices in 17T fronts.

looked under transmissions.........HOW ABOUT LISTING AN F'N SPROCKET

Front? 23801-MAT-000 $39.14 17T or

23801-MAT-760 $41.14 17T

Rear: 41201-MAT-A00 Sprocket 45T $72.43

or 41201_MAT-670 Sprocket 45T $74.90

-Suf Daddy

strangely enough i went -1 in front (AFAM) and oem rear with my last new chain and only got about 6-7k out of em...after removal of the chain i saw the front sprocket was only slightly worn but the rear sprocket teeth looked like shark fins...kinda bummed me out cuz i heard the oem lasted a long time...maybe i was trying to do too many wheelies...using alloy rear this time

Northman and I disagreed on the replacing sprockets with chains argument, and it looks like we're going to disagree on the clip type masterlink. I've run the Tsubaki you mentioned with a clip masterlink on my bike for over 9000 miles with no problems. Wheelies, drag racing, Deal's Gap, regular street riding, no problems. However, I will not buy another Tsubaki because they SUCK compared to the DID ZVM chain. This Tsubaki is almost gone whereas at that mileage my stock chain was only halfway worn. Stick with the DID, you will be much happier in the long run.

I've never gone through the windshield from not wearing a seatbelt for over 10 years of my life, either, but for some reason I wear one all the time now.

Take your chances all you want, but there's a reason DID only provides an original "peen-type" master with their 530 kits. Probably the same reason Honda uses an endless chain from the factory.