CBR1100XX.org Forum

Datel voltmeter behind-the-mirror install

RXX

Looks awesome....but smack in the middle?

The voltmeter is a space-occupying (well, and time-occupying also) object that is non-compressible. The cavity within the mirror housing is not expandable under normal conditions so an the only area that accommodated all the dimensions was, unfortunately, in the relative (after measuring it I concluded it was not "smack dab" in the middle) center.

I hope I don't need to see there.

nicely done - inspiring

I've been thinking of doing a similar thing with a unit from a rearview mirror that has compass and temp. Have not taken the time to source the parts yet though.

For me at my age it's more important to know which way I'm going, and in Montana it's important to know how soon the road will be ice again.

I wonder about the remote signal from the Valentine One, maybe too far from the line of sight.

How did you do that, Philip? Did you cut away the glass/etc?

I've been wanting to do something with turn signals and LEDs, but couldn't figure out how to mod the mirror.

How did you do that, Philip? Did you cut away the glass/etc?

I've been wanting to do something with turn signals and LEDs, but couldn't figure out how to mod the mirror.

Rich,

I took the inspiration and the general concept from:

http://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=51

and modified prn for the bird. Dremel and sharp blade is about all that is needed. I scratched the glass some but it's not too noticeable. Nexxt time I drop the bike and bust the mirror I will do a better job.

I ran the power from my radar detector leads.

I will have to admit, I smile everytime I cut it on!

If you want way too much information about display and mirros, here you go:

I used to work for an auto supplier that made rear-view mirrors

For the rearview mirror that has the compass and temperature (comp/temp) display we would start with a regular, full mirrored peice of glass. This is a peice of safety glass coated on the back side with silver, some other metal, and two layers of paint. We would then mask off all but the comp/temp window and sandblast the paint off the back side of the glass with a baking soda sandblaster. We then used a special acid compound to dissolve off the metal and silver to create a clear window where the display is going to go. The VFD (vacuum flourescent display) on the comp/temp circuit board lines up with the window.

We also made the mirror that has the backup camera display built into it. I only ever saw this on a comercial once, but it's really cool. When the car goes into reverse a display turns on that is behind the mirror and displays through the reflective surface. When it's not on you can't tell that it's there. These mirrors have a special (thinner) silvering on them that a display can make it through. This type of silvering takes a zillion-dollar machine to apply properly using technology you've never heard of in a machine that looks like it belongs in NASA. Anybody ever heard of sputter-coating? Unfortunately, this is not a retro-fit you can do to a regular mirror.

For the rearview mirror that has the compass and temperature (comp/temp) display we would start with a regular, full mirrored peice of glass. This is a peice of safety glass coated on the back side with silver, some other metal, and two layers of paint. We would then mask off all but the comp/temp window and sandblast the paint off the back side of the glass with a baking soda sandblaster. We then used a special acid compound to dissolve off the metal and silver to create a clear window where the display is going to go. The VFD (vacuum flourescent display) on the comp/temp circuit board lines up with the window.

We also made the mirror that has the backup camera display built into it. I only ever saw this on a comercial once, but it's really cool. When the car goes into reverse a display turns on that is behind the mirror and displays through the reflective surface. When it's not on you can't tell that it's there. These mirrors have a special (thinner) silvering on them that a display can make it through. This type of silvering takes a zillion-dollar machine to apply properly using technology you've never heard of in a machine that looks like it belongs in NASA. Anybody ever heard of sputter-coating? Unfortunately, this is not a retro-fit you can do to a regular mirror.

Fine - never thought of blasting with soda-- latest thing in the log renovation business is blasting with dry ice, I have no idea how that works.

Any idea where to get a compass/temp setup?

A friend of mine has a newer Honda Odessy minivan. It's a second from the top-of-the-line model. Its has its rear view camera display built into the rear view mirror. Put it into reverse, and the left hand 1/3 side of the mirror lights up with the display. Once off, as stated before, you cannot tell its there. Cool stuff. Possibly order the rear view from a Honda dealer, if need be.

Fine - never thought of blasting with soda-- latest thing in the log renovation business is blasting with dry ice, I have no idea how that works.

Any idea where to get a compass/temp setup?

soda blasting has been around a lot longer than dry ice blasting. we do alot of mold remediation and dry ice blast using a couple different size cold-jet units. soda blasting is the same concept.....load soda into a hopper....feed it compressed air....viola. it IS messy as HELL though....and coldjet makes a unit we have that actually shaves block ice instead of using pellets that can be used on such a delicate setting you can blast smoke soot off the pages of a book. it's cool shit.