CBR1100XX.org Forum

Planning a long trip - Need Spare Parts Advice

jsimanella

Same as subject.

I want to take a trip from Cleveland, OH SW to SanDiego, up the PCH to Seattle and back home. Figure about 3 weeks to do so. Is that a good estimate for just under 8k miles?

Any suggestions on stopping points? 1st night will be in St. Louis (family). Heading towards Phoenix, gotta do the Grand Canyon camping thing (2 nights, never been), San Diego (2 nights, friends), Seattle. The rest is open, though Chicago will be my last night before home. Need to be flexible, for weather, etc.

Just replaced the CCT (should I bring another?). Thinking about bringing a new regulator (need suggestions). Want to know what else to bring, within reason.

What else?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!!!

I only carry small things for long trips.

Tire repair kit (plug type, with glue & CO2 bottles), a small assortment of allen keys and wrenches, as well as pliers. Hell, the Honda kit is plenty enough to get you by with the addition of the tire kit.

It's a XX, it won't break on ya.

Enjoy the trip. :)

Start out with two good tires and a fresh oil change. Take a tire repair kit for an emergency roadside repair. Like Chris said, the standard Honda tool kit is pretty comprehensive. I'd add a flashlight and a can of oil or chain lube. Take a rainsuit, and dress for the weather. I guarantee you'll overpack for this trip. With a little practice you'll learn to take what's absolutely necessary, and no more.

When I saw the title I thought maybe you were taking a Harley.

Taking the XX I would probably take at least 3 pairs of pants, 3 shirts, 4 pairs of socks and 4 underwear. If you have room a pair of sneakers so you won't have to wear your riding boots all the time.

How many miles on the bike? Start with new tires,Michelin 90x/1000x ,pilot Road,stock Stones bt 57,will go the distance with no problem,I`m not sure about the rest.

Depending on your milage,you would want to check your brake pads and replace them/or take a set with you.Check your chain,is there enough life left for 8000 miles?.If in doubt throw the new one on.

Take on of those H7 light bulbs,small auto parts stores may not have them and you don`t want to waste your trip by trying to find Honda dealership in the middle of American West.

We do 5500-6000 miles Chicago-West Coast-Chicago two weeks trips every year,I guess your time estimate is about right.