CBR1100XX.org Forum

Who changes their own tires???

runner

Do you change your own tires?

I change the dirt bikes and am considering street tire changes as well.

Saw a good deal in MCNews....

My biggest question....Balancing????

My biggest surprise was how much easier street tires are than dirt tires. If you've done a few dirtbike tires, street tires are gravy with the right equipment.

Balancing can be as simple as setting the ends of the axle on some jack stands if you're an economical type, but it's not that accurate. I'd recommend this, personally.

I do... but I have a 240 pound friend that helps me!! The cheap stand I use from harbor freight doesnt hold the rim well enough to do it by your self. And yes I added a large floor plate and bolted it to that.

+1 on the dirt bike tires... man those are a bitch! But with two people, we can do it easily enough. I found if you have the spoons and the lube it works pretty well... again the complaint being the rims wont hold in the mount.

Balancing, I take it back to the dealer or Cycle Gear to balance.

+1 on the NoMar! I've had mine two years and as many tires as Peggy and I go through in a year's time, it has paid for itself by not having to take wheels or the bikes to a dealer for a tire change......not to mention getting the tires online which is obviously much cheaper than a dealer would charge for the same tire.

+1 on the Marc Parnes balancer assembly. I made my own stand from 4 x 4 inch pieces of lumber and have a great balancing tool. Reality is this, a good static balancer will give you a better balanced tire/wheel than a motorcycle shop can provide with a spin balancer. To me, this is very important on bike that have the capability of exceeding 150 MPH plus.

I've been using the HF changer with some additions from a buddy that sells the Mojolever and Mojoblocks for years... works ok, no scratches but takes practice to get used to it. I got it way before the No Mar was available... I'd proally go No Mar now.

Marc Parnes balancer on jack stands... I probably need to get better at using this, but so far my seat of the pants testing tells me I've been doing ok.

Buy tires at SW Moto or online somewhere else that maybe has a better deal...

NoMar,please :icon_rolleyes: ,it has to be one of the biggest fads of motorcycle subculture in resent years.600 $ + for muscle powered changer ?

Spend couple of bucks more and get this http://www.eagleequip.com/Merchant2/mercha...ct_Code=GLO-400,

or spend 50 bucks for couple of good spoons,some rim protectors, build your own bead braker from materials widely available from,let`s say,Home Depot.

Many people tend to think those NoMars are the best thing since sliced bread,I frankly think it is retarded to spend so much cashola on stone age tire changer.

That is all,flame me. :icon_twisted:

HF changer with bike adaptor. MoJo blocks and a MoJo lever.

Balance right now with the axle on jack stands. The PR's that I use seem to require little balance anyway.

Problem with MoJo blocks is they allow the rim to spin. I am going to try to strap the a arm of the wheel to a arm of the changer next time.

The nice part is I can use the changer for trailer tires, tractor tires, mower tires, airplane tires.............................. You get the idea.

NoMar,please :icon_rolleyes: ,it has to be one of the biggest fads of motorcycle subculture in resent years.600 $ + for muscle powered changer ?

Spend couple of bucks more and get this http://www.eagleequip.com/Merchant2/mercha...ct_Code=GLO-400,

or spend 50 bucks for couple of good spoons,some rim protectors, build your own bead braker from materials widely available from,let`s say,Home Depot.

Many people tend to think those NoMars are the best thing since sliced bread,I frankly think it is retarded to spend so much cashola on stone age tire changer.

That is all,flame me. :icon_twisted:

I might be offended if I gave a shit about your opinion or thought you were anything but a self important, egomaniacal twit. Thankfully, I don't.

I do my own with spoons, soapy water, and rim savers, but I usually don't use the stand I made (cause it's crap). A rubber mat is all I need. I have used the No-Mar and think it's great, but I wouldn't spend the money for one unless I could get a couple of friends to help with the bill. My friend that has one is almost 20 miles away. :icon_wall:

I can tell you this: Sport tires go on a whole lot easier than touring tires.

For a cheap stand that works good I use a discarded grease barrel. Its a metal can about 30" tall that mechanic shops get there bulk grease delivered in. It has about an 18" opening the wheel sits in there on the spokes. I use one at home and at work for about 2-3 tires every week, dirt and street. I use two 16" tire irons and WD40 for lube, easy peasy.

Carquest has sumfing called tire bead sealer,part # 40319.Use it to mount your tire.You`ll thank me when it is to to remove that tire.

They also sell stick on weights,identical to motionpro or K&L ,different packaging thought.Better price,box of 30 stripes for about 30 $.Part # 1000360.

The videos that I learned from:

I use a couple 2x4 and my truck bumper to break the bead.

I use jacks stands, a couple of sealed bearings from a local supply company, and a 24" titanium rod (overkill but it was free).

The videos that I learned from:

I use a couple 2x4 and my truck bumper to break the bead.

I use jacks stands, a couple of sealed bearings from a local supply company, and a 24" titanium rod (overkill but it was free).

What where those rim savers he was using?

Nevermind. went back and watch the first one and saw it.

and when he said don't use plastic milk cartons becasue it's so thin, he meant it. :icon_redface:

I change my own dirt tires, just throw 'em down on a rubber mat and good to go in no time.

The place I get my street tires from mounts and balances for free if I buy the tires from them (and they're not gouging on the tire prices - I paid 120 and 180 for front and rear Roadsmarts, respectively - the least expensive around here).

I change my own dirt tires, just throw 'em down on a rubber mat and good to go in no time.

The place I get my street tires from mounts and balances for free if I buy the tires from them (and they're not gouging on the tire prices - I paid 120 and 180 for front and rear Roadsmarts, respectively - the least expensive around here).

You probably drop some hot girlie pictures on him for makeup too!!!

You probably drop some hot girlie pictures on him for makeup too!!!

Yeah, I've been shooting his calendars for the last eight years :icon_twisted:

Taking the rear tire off is easy. Just burnout till it pops and riding it home will break the bead then, sawzall the motherfucker off. No problem.

WINNAR