CBR1100XX.org Forum

New tires

BearXX

I'm still on the original tires delivered with the bike, and last month while it was

a little moist on the road the front wheel locked up. This have never happened before, and

I recon that it was because it was a bit wet it behaved like this. Last week we was driving

home from a bikerally with about 90F, sunny and it was perfect. I came a bit fast toward the car

in front of me after passing another, and used 2 fingers on the brake handle to slow down.

The fucking tire lost it and locked up. :icon_shocked: WTF :icon_eek:

The damn tires isn't half worn, but I don't trust them.

Thinking about Dunlop Sportmax roadsmart.

Anyone in here tried out a set ?

I haven't run Dunlops but I just installed P2s and I'm very happy with them. RoadSmarts seem to be highly recommended in ?Europe. Avons in GB, Aus, and NZ. I think it depends on types of roads in you country. My next tire will be Dunlops. imo

I CAN LOCK UP SUPERSPORT TIRES IN BRAKING PRACTICE SO NOT SURE YOU GOING TO GET RID OF THAT. WHAT STONES ARE THEY?

BT 57

Before I used Dunlop 205, but they’re not available any more.

Been driving Blackbirds for 9 years, and never before had a locked front tire.

"... a little moist on the road the front wheel locked up..."

Pouring rain can be better than a little moist for traction.

A little wet can turn dust and oil into a mix "slick as baby $hit".

I like Dunlop and will try Qualifier II soon as I burn my 3 month old Qualifier off. I have 3000 miles on them now.

I CAN LOCK UP SUPERSPORT TIRES IN BRAKING PRACTICE SO NOT SURE YOU GOING TO GET RID OF THAT. WHAT STONES ARE THEY?

BT 57

Can you get 57 anymore? I thought 21's are stones currant sport tourer.

I'd think one of the few tires that are worse than a BT57 are the D205s. I'm constantly amazed at the difference in tire preference on either side of the pond. Either way, try some modern rubber, you'll probably be very happy with anything designed in the last 7-8 years.

I've put Dunlop Roadsmarts on the following:

08 C14... Blackmax is still on the set that I put on last year

08 ZX14... only 1400 miles at the moment. Smooth ride.

05 FZ6... Cheryl's bike and NO chicken strips

and will put a set on my VFR when the money situations gets better.

I am amazed as to how well they wear, how well they stick, and offer a peace of mind in the wet.

:icon_biggrin:

I have Roadsmarts on mine and like them so far. Good grip and decent feedback, but not quite as good as the feedback from the Qualifier. The rear appears that it will last about 2.5 times longer than the Qualifier. Way too early to tell on the front.

I'm replacing the Roadsmarts on my C-14 tomorrow, if you run them hard on a heavy bike the front turns into a triangle with a hard flat portion about 1 1/2" wide in the center. The sides grip very well especially in the wet but they do wear much quicker than the center.

I'm replacing the Roadsmarts on my C-14 tomorrow, if you run them hard on a heavy bike the front turns into a triangle with a hard flat portion about 1 1/2" wide in the center. The sides grip very well especially in the wet but they do wear much quicker than the center.

I'm glad you brought these up...

I have been thinking about trying the new generation"road" tires that are out there, but these is what I worry about. I already wear the sides out first so what am I gaining.

Example, I have been told the the new Michelin roads are the same compound as the powers on the side. If I don't wear out the center of a power, why would I want a road2?

I'd think one of the few tires that are worse than a BT57 are the D205s. I'm constantly amazed at the difference in tire preference on either side of the pond. Either way, try some modern rubber, you'll probably be very happy with anything designed in the last 7-8 years.

+1

With the 205s I never had any problems with grip in twisties, and I got about 9000 miles on them.

But keep in mind that the tarmac over here is not the same that you have. I noticed your roads had

a more smooth surface, and with your climate with sun almost all summer makes them a bit slippery

when wet. Over here it rains almost every week, so the roads are washed clean of sooth and oil.

Temperatures at summertime is normal around 70 and sometimes up towards 90, but very seldom that high.

90 % of my driving is on trips to and from bikerallies with some luggage on the bike :icon_whistle:

And sometimes I get restless I take the bike and hit the roads up the hills :icon_twisted:

If I bought Avon tires over here I would be the laughing stock of the entire biker community.

First thing we ask bikers who drove of the road is if he has Avon on the bike. We call it

"off road tires"

BT 57

Can you get 57 anymore? I thought 21's are stones currant sport tourer.

Looks like they still are at the market.

http://mc.bridgestone.co.jp/en/products/category/onroad.html

I've never used the BT-57's but I have the BT-021 on the rear and a race take-off BT-002 on the front and love the feel. I've got over 1k on the rear and I can't even tell that it's worn. I love the grip, feedback, the are very confidence inspiring, so far so good with the 'stones.

I put Roadsmarts on my 99. I have about 3k on them so far and I really like them. They're not half gone yet, and I like how they're not squaring off at all.

I don't "push it" much so I don't know about their sport performance, but they are great in the rain. The tar snakes still give me a handful.

I put Roadsmarts on my 99. I have about 3k on them so far and I really like them. They're not half gone yet, and I like how they're not squaring off at all.

I don't "push it" much so I don't know about their sport performance, but they are great in the rain. The tar snakes still give me a handful.

I've got about 4K on them and half gone, but I don't trust them.

I'll change them this week.