CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fuel Pressure Regulator

BackStreet

I just installed a new Turbo City Fuel Pressure Regulator and the improvement is dramatic.

She runs better than new, smoother and seemingly faster. Nothing was wrong with the old regulator. The bike has almost 20,000 miles on a 2003.

I read somewhere (could have been here - did a search with no luck) that a new regulator is a must for modified engine and helps with a stock engine.

My main mods are E-10 premium 10% Ethyl Alcohol (not by choice) and drilled stock cans. Enough to make it run rather lean. I don't have a PCIII. A little extra fuel should help. I'll have to see what the fuel mileage is.

The install is easy. Lift the rear of the tank and it is on the right end of the fuel rail. Takes 15 min. If you are near empty that helps. Fuel comes out of the return hose.

I did the same mod. The bike definitely ran differently. More linear power delivery. It is not as peaky as it was. Fuel mileage has not gone up that much though. Plus the cans are not as sooty as before.

If you run slip ons with a pc iii on an '02, will it still improve as stated above. I've never changed mine out in 140,000 kms. I'm always looking for improvements but don't want to throw dosh away for nothing. I'm also a sucker for "snake oil".

Plus the cans are not as sooty as before.

Doesn't that mean that it is now running leaner?

It was running rich. I could smell gas when I was riding. The cans were getting really sooty. I thought the FPR was going as running rich is a symptom. So I replaced it. I also agree with Stan, that it atomizes the fuel better. So I will see how it goes in the long run.

Yikes! $130 for something so small?

+1 Ron Ayers list 2, one is $39 and the other $43 for OEM.

Question for those who have swapped one out-do you need to replace any gaskets or o-rings?

I kins of balked at the price too. But, Stan recommended them highly, so I went for it.

Question for those who have swapped one out-do you need to replace any gaskets or o-rings?

Nothing else to replace. Just unhook the lines, plug the feed line, unscrew the old one, screw in the new one, hook up the lines.

I balked at the price too. But, since Stan recommends them highly, I went for it.

I kins of balked at the price too. But, Stan recommended them highly, so I went for it.

Nothing else to replace. Just unhook the lines, plug the feed line, unscrew the old one, screw in the new one, hook up the lines.

I balked at the price too. But, since Stan recommends them highly, I went for it.

Quality :: Performance :: Price

Pick any two!

I took a longer ride today and the bike performs better in almost all circumstances.

I was on the throttle a lot so I'll get back to you on mpg. Someday.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you know at how much the preassure of the rail is raised ? I think the rail has 3.0 bar with stock regulator

The stock regulator for '01 and up is 50psi. The '99 and '00 were 43psi, I believe.

Do you know at how much the preassure of the rail is raised ? I think the rail has 3.0 bar with stock regulator

The stock regulator for '01 and up is 50psi. The '99 and '00 were 43psi, I believe.

how bad would it be to have installed an '01 50 psi in a '99?

It might run a bit rich, but I can't think of anything catastrophic.

Revised injector flow,or fuel flow will equal to the square root of 50/43 X whatever injector flows on 43 psi of pressure,basically it will increase by about 8%.

Your motor will run 8% richer everywhere,whether there is need for it or not.

So, if motor was at 14.7 AFR at given load and rpms it`ll change to about 13.6, etc,.Basically you would be wasting fuel.It is like tunning swiss,mechanical watch with impact wrench.

I would not try to fix mixture problems at certain loads/rpm by changing FPR only.Now ,FPR and Power Commander and such that it different story.But if already have power commander you don't need different FPR to change mixture .

Basically higher fuel pressures are used if your injectors are maxed out and you need little more flow from them.

Other then that there is no real point in bumping your fuel pressure on normally aspirated motor.

I have been corresponding with Turbo City on this, since my '99 has what appears to be a failing FPR. The TC version is set to 42 psi. The stock pressure for the 99-00 Bird is 43 psi. Later years apparently used 36 psi regulators. What does all this mean? Well, for me it means that I should probably just get another stock regulator instead of the expensive version.

I have been corresponding with Turbo City on this, since my '99 has what appears to be a failing FPR. The TC version is set to 42 psi. The stock pressure for the 99-00 Bird is 43 psi. Later years apparently used 36 psi regulators. What does all this mean? Well, for me it means that I should probably just get another stock regulator instead of the expensive version.

Mine is an '03 and there was nothing wrong with the stock FPR but it runs better with the Turbo City one.

Mine is an '03 and there was nothing wrong with the stock FPR but it runs better with the Turbo City one.

For your bike, the TC FPR was a real change - the pressure was changed 5 psi higher (an almost 14% increase). Seems like quite a few others have been happy with the change to this version also. My only point is that for 99-00 owners, there is a 1 psi drop in the pressure using this regulator, which is a 2% change.

Revised injector flow,or fuel flow will equal to the square root of 50/43 X whatever injector flows on 43 psi of pressure,basically it will increase by about 8%.

Your motor will run 8% richer everywhere,whether there is need for it or not.

So, if motor was at 14.7 AFR at given load and rpms it`ll change to about 13.6, etc,.Basically you would be wasting fuel.It is like tunning swiss,mechanical watch with impact wrench.

I would not try to fix mixture problems at certain loads/rpm by changing FPR only.Now ,FPR and Power Commander and such that it different story.But if already have power commander you don't need different FPR to change mixture .

Basically higher fuel pressures are used if your injectors are maxed out and you need little more flow from them.

Other then that there is no real point in bumping your fuel pressure on normally aspirated motor.

"So, if" is the operative part of this. We have 10% ethanol so I'm not so sure the AFR is perfect to start with. Pipes and air filter change AFR also usually leaner.

I think '03 all US has a knock sensor and an O2 sensor so I would think the overall system would reduce any extra fuel. Power Commander just overrides the system usually adding more fuel.

Stan indicated better spray with more pressure too. This could explain better performance all over and not just at the full open. No impact wrench required.

sometimes, I really should just stfu. and don't

I really have done everything, and don't know everything, but I am learning. From everything, that I have done.

but, just for the record, I have a 2000 bike, with a turbo fpr for it, and a 2002 wiring harness and computer, now. So my pressure is less than stock 2000, and the spray would be less atomazised due to that. And is a lot less than should be for a 2002. And my afr's are stunningly good with hand built 2 into one 2.5 inch collector pipes and modified micron mufflers shortened with no pc installed. Live real time readout on the dash of afr's that I would not change if I wanted to. 'go figure. I run some 14.5's at 70 cruise flat ground, and some 11.9 railing the shit out of it at 9g.

the fpr from turbo is not just a pressure thing I am guessing. They look stock.

And I am going to cut a stock one up and post the results. Cause they are not that easy to modify. Destructive analysis would be more like it. Not at all sure what or how they can do anything to it. Looks like a crimped on top. No way to undo that and still redo it back well.

I really have done everything, and don't know everything, but I am learning. From everything, that I have done.

but, just for the record, I have a 2000 bike, with a turbo fpr for it, and a 2002 wiring harness and computer, now. So my pressure is less than stock 2000, and the spray would be less atomazised due to that. And is a lot less than should be for a 2002. And my afr's are stunningly good with hand built 2 into one 2.5 inch collector pipes and modified micron mufflers shortened with no pc installed. Live real time readout on the dash of afr's that I would not change if I wanted to. 'go figure. I run some 14.5's at 70 cruise flat ground, and some 11.9 railing the shit out of it at 9g.

And I am going to cut a stock one up and post the results. Cause they are not that easy to modify. Destructive analysis would be more like it. Not at all sure what or how they can do anything to it. Looks like a crimped on top. No way to undo that and still redo it back well.

As you know - my stock one is coming your way as soon as I get a replacement :)

cool, it will help to have more to do the writeup, I have gotten one from spicholy also, thanks spicholy should have told you i got it.

Page 1-6 in the service manual says 50psi and my stock '02 FPR measures 50psi.

Do you want my 2003 stock one? I'll send it to you. It was working fine when I took it out 3 weeks ago.

Hell, if it was not raining I could drop it off tonight.