CBR1100XX.org Forum

Update: Running Like Poop

Boov

I just got back from my first XX Iron Butt, and it went great, except my '99 ran worse and worse the whole way.

I'm loosing a cylinder or two at low RPMs and I slowly gain them back as the revs increase. I have to give it a ton of throttle so I don't stall it just to take off. It has okay top end, not quite it's normal self. Also, the tips of my stock pipes are turning Black, like it's running too rich or something.

I threw in a ton of injector cleaner and that didn't help.

Here's my guesses, in order of likeliness in my opinion.

- Plugs

- Clogged injectors

- Loom needs the fix (although it's not throwing up the FI light)

Ideas?

Progressively worse?

Check your battery voltage. If its low, you are probably having charging system problems, and the low available voltage is causing gradually worsening symptoms.

Most things that go wrong cause a problem all at once. Look at what you need to run. Air, fuel, and spark and compression.

Air----a clogged air filter maybe. But if so you'd have better power and throttle response at lower rpm when air demands are lower, and less power as revs climb. You'd run rich as well.

Fuel---a clogged fuel filter would make you run lean, not rich.

Spark---A coil could be going bad....but I've never heard of a bad coil on an XX. Then there's the system voltage I've already mentioned.

Compression---you'd probably know about this....not to mention that its an extremely rare occurrence on unmodified engines that haven't been totally thrashed.

Progressively worse?

Check your battery voltage. If its low, you are probably having charging system problems, and the low available voltage is causing gradually worsening symptoms.

Most things that go wrong cause a problem all at once. Look at what you need to run. Air, fuel, and spark and compression.

Air----a clogged air filter maybe. But if so you'd have better power and throttle response at lower rpm when air demands are lower, and less power as revs climb. You'd run rich as well.

Spark---A coil could be going bad....but I've never heard of a bad coil on an XX. Then there's the system voltage I've already mentioned.

Compression---you'd probably know about this....not to mention that its an extremely rare occurrence on unmodified engines that haven't been totally thrashed.

+1 battery, R/R, stator.

I just got back from my first XX Iron Butt, and it went great, except my '99 ran worse and worse the whole way.

I'm loosing a cylinder or two at low RPMs and I slowly gain them back as the revs increase. I have to give it a ton of throttle so I don't stall it just to take off. It has okay top end, not quite it's normal self. Also, the tips of my stock pipes are turning Black, like it's running too rich or something.

- Plugs

- Clogged injectors

Ideas?

Fuel pressure regulator????

Progressively worse?

I think the battery voltage is fine. It restarted strong every time I shut it off, and the headlight was bright.

Yes it did get progressively worse oer the last 800 miles or so.

Tell me more about the fuel pressure regulator.

- Plugs

- Clogged injectors

Ideas?

+100 , pull the vacumn line from the FPR and fuel will run out with it running.

+100 , pull the vacumn line from the FPR and fuel will run out with it running.

Where do I get one, and how quickly can I have it?!

I pulled the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator, turned the key on, and drip .. drip .. drip.

It makes sense that this raw fuel running into my intake would cause these problems. Thanks for the advice.

I have it off and I'm looking for a new one. Suggestions?

I pulled the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator, turned the key on, and drip .. drip .. drip.

It makes sense that this raw fuel running into my intake would cause these problems. Thanks for the advice.

http://www.turbocity.com/product_info.php?...products_id=573

+1 turbo city, mine works so well that I pulled the pc and get great AFR's with the stock program. Custom headers and cans too.

Cost more but worth it. IMHO.,

U dun have to turn it on,if it drips,then ur FPR is busted.

Do take note while removing the FPR,there's a spacer attached to it.Reuse it with the new FPR.

Once fixed,ride away and blast off,u'll be surprise to see the accumulated fuel in ur endcans.

I am looking for one also. Mine is not running correctly. Tips are very black. I checked every dealer in S.E. Michigan. None in stock. I think I will order the Turbo City unit.

Skull, the Turbo City model is listed for 01-03 models. It should work on the ,99's shouldn't it?

Never mind. I dug around a little and found the following unit for '99-'00 models.

http://www.turbocity.com/product_info.php?...products_id=572

http://www.turbocity.com/product_info.php?...products_id=573

Just one note to make. Turbo city is nearby, I've been there before and they have a very good reputation, at least in the turbo business. After talking to the owner on the phone about this FPR a while back, he believes that stock hondas are too lean, and thus his FPR's are set to increase the pressure a little, five percent if I recall right. Just keep in mind that his experience is with California bikes, your calibration might be fine with the stock unit.

• 1 month later...
These symptoms sound a lot like how my 99 started running today... To test the FPR, you remove the vac line and then what?

turn the key on if fuel runs out the fpr its dead

my vote is for the loom fix, I've seen where it doesn't trip the FI light, it ties into so much, can cause all sorts of gremlins.

my vote is for the loom fix, I've seen where it doesn't trip the FI light, it ties into so much, can cause all sorts of gremlins.

I will look into that if the FPR does not do the trick, thanks. This bike is super low miles (5K) and always garaged, no rain, etc.

I just went though the same thing! I Read all about the possible problems I could find. The FPR seemed to fit the best. I checked the FPR using a vacuum sucker tool. FPR would not hold vacuum. R&R FPR engine ran good for about 4 minutes. then engine started running rich on all 4 cyl. Long story/short engine oil was mostly fuel! When the oil got hot it would vaporize the fuel. Changed oil and filter, FPR and all is well.

My 2 cents Chuck

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do take note while removing the FPR,there's a spacer attached to it.Reuse it with the new FPR.

Once fixed,ride away and blast off,u'll be surprise to see the accumulated fuel in ur endcans.

Do you need to check your oil for gas that has run down into the crankcase?

Do you need to check your oil for gas that has run down into the crankcase?

Yes, fuel leaking past the rings will contaminate the oil.