CBR1100XX.org Forum

what coolant?

bigblock

Hey,

It has started to get hot here in North Florida (90s in traffic) and the bird has been running a little warmer than usual (not much - just a smidge - 2/3s of the way up the gauge instead of half). Its a '98 and I do not know when the coolant was last flushed, guess its time... I wanted to get some suggestions for coolant.

I have read some of the threads on the Evans NPG and it seems like many of you guys swear by it. How hard is it to replace the old stuff with Evans? any links on here for that?

anyone have any other suggestions for coolant? I figure I am going to need to drain and replace mine soon so...

all help is appreciated...

thanks

personally i wouldn't run with just water, coolant contains anti corrosion additives it's there for a reason.

Neither would I, that's what the Water Wetter is for. Conditions the seals, anti-corrosion, anti-cavitation, ect.

If you're going to go with standard coolant, any silicate free coolant will work just fine. No need for it to say Honda on the bottle.

personally i wouldn't run with just water, coolant contains anti corrosion additives it's there for a reason.

Neither would I, that's what the Water Wetter is for. Conditions the seals, anti-corrosion, anti-cavitation, ect.

If you're going to go with standard coolant, any silicate free coolant will work just fine. No need for it to say Honda on the bottle.

Put at least a little anti-freeze in there. IIRC Northern Florida had some low temps in the teens & twenties this last winter. :icon_eek:

I am in South Florida and changed my coolant last Sseptember at the Towanda Resort while attending NeXXt !

A great help from Rick and Al made it an easy task.

I am now running "Engine Ice" and have had no overtemp problems here at the southern end of the Sunshine State

Never seen NPG up here but I've used Liquid Performance (orange stuff)and both of my bikes run noticeably cooler.Engine is another good one,the two are pretty much equal and you will run cooler with them.

I onced used water and water wetter for a season or two in my 600,ran identical to regular coolant.My 600 actually takes longer to warm up with LP,hey sometimes its cooler up here in the mornings.

Evans +1

No pressure system so you never have to worry about a hose blowing (like that's gonna happen anyway)

It is not an ordeal to install, but it is involved doing the recommended procedure. You have to flush the system a couple of times with a prep solution. Some folks say you can use plain antifreeze for this step.

I have had mine in for a year now. Can't say it is better, but I feel better.

There is a thread on how to blow all the shit out of your system using an airhose.

Prestone extended life. Says no silicates. Never had any issues... after I replaced the burnt fuse.