CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cornering Speed

runner

What practice technique or MC school has helped most in your cornering speed/ability?

Granted, you can't always go all out because of traffic or possible road debris (sand, gravel, idiotic cage drivers, etc).

Yet, what has helped you the most to get qiuckly & safely around corners ?

+1 & relax, don't overthink it.

I'm still trying to perfect this.

Of course switching back and fourth between my 'bird and my VFR doesn't help either !

Guest cudgel
I shift into reverse while apexing. It helps me focus on the throttle.

Fixed that for you.

I changed the numbers on my analog speedo face, now I'm really haulin'.

All good answers, excepting the obviously tongue in cheek ones.

Seat time with a constant awareness of what you're doing. Relax, breathe, proper visual skills, proper body position. Be as smooth as possible in everything you do, braking, throttle, steering input, moving around on the bike- flow. The track is without a doubt the best place to do this. I've improved more in the last year than I had in the previous ten, and I'm still fuggin' slow.

Baby steps, there's no one thing that will make you faster or more comfortable, no magical advice you can get. Just ride with a constant eye toward improving.

Oh, seriously...

I asked for the same advice on here when I first joined up and I improved my riding immediately.

The biggest thing that helped me was keeping my head up and looking further ahead. Not only will you go where you look, but your perception of speed will diminish. You'll pick up an easy 5-10 mph in the corners just by adjusting your vision.

The other advice I got was on body position. I don't hang off on purpose and don't need to at the speeds I ride on the street, but I like to shift my weight in the direction I'm turning and I lean forward towards the mirror. One of the problems I had when I first got the 'Bird was to put too much weight on my arms when riding. If you're pushing downward on the bars with relatively straight arms, its hard to turn. Now, I use my back more and keep my arms loose and elbows bent so I can push forward to countersteer.

The other thing I do is late apex. There are a ton of roads where I ride with corners that have too much sand on them to ride a "normal" line on. This is usually only an issue on the right-handers, but I've seen everything. Plus, when you late apex, your chances of exiting the corner poorly and crossing the line into the other lane are decreased.

Another thing that has saved my bacon in corners at least twice every ride is, if I can't see around a corner or I see another vehicle approaching it from the other direction, I approach that corner very cautiously. It never fails that some idiot ends up in my lane by cutting down or swinging wide. Be prepared and it will almost be a non-event.

Like Tim said, try and be as smooth as you can. On roads that I know really well, I like to see if I can ride them without using the brakes. Its tough, but its fun to see if I can properly judge my corner entry speed and not have to stab at the brakes.

Lastly, you need confidence in your bike. Upgrading my suspension gave me a lot more confidence in the corners. Setting the bike up with a nose down attitude helped, too. Plus, good tires are a must.

Have fun!

1) Master countersteering.

2) Looking through the turn, NOT down at what is in front of your. Harder to do than say.

3) Setup before the turn, plan for the turn. No braking during the turn, only throttle position.

4) Enter the turn wide and decrease your radius as the turn allows. Do not set up for every turn exactly the same, but the general idea is to enter wide, swoop in, and power out as your are swooping in. Enter wide, exit narrow (assuming it really matters)

5) Seek out chalanging roads. Riding straight roads all day long, does not improve your abilities. Find a nice stretch and practice on it. Concentrate on technique b4 speed. Blasting through turns b4 you're ready will only make you an uncomfortable, bad rider, and accident waiting to happen. Take your time, but you will need to step outside your comfort zone in order to improve. Just make sure you do it with as few variables as possible.

I have yet to make it to a track day. I need to. I'm sure it would help me greatly as it has for others.

track days and some track schools.

A buddy of mine is a track junkie and has done some schools also. Each time we ride together he always gives pointers and tips, then we ride together switching back and forth to watch each others lines and such.

I have learned alot from him doing this. If the track was closer to me I would be a track whore for sure.

A few yrs ago I finally had a moment of Zen. Was like Leroy in the movie The Last Dragon when he kicks Sho'nuff's ass. :icon_biggrin:

Coming into a tight left hander I focused on my line and set up for the turn, I suddenly felt like blinders were placed on my helmet and had a wired tunnel vision effect. All focus was on me and the turn, I entered the turn and carried my line swept through the apex and rolled onto the throttle. As I exited the turn suddenly everything went back to normal..

I loved the feeling..

I thought I was a good rider at 10k miles (because I could whoop up on the 600cc squids on local roads, 2-up on a Nighthawk S)

I thought I was a good rider at 20k miles (this was when I was on the Nighthawk S at NeXXt)

I thought I was a proficient rider at 30k miles (after 10k on the 'bird)

I thought I was a proficient rider at 50k miles

I thought I was a pretty decent rider at 60k miles (This was SeXXt '07, for those who were there... :icon_evilgrin: )

I thought I was a pretty decent rider at 80k miles

Then I did a trackday, which REALLY took the level of comfort up...

now, at ~90k miles, after a couple of trackdays, I've gotten to be 1.5x the rider I was at 80k miles... (and I'm not NEARLY as fast as a lot of guys!)

I guess what I'm saying will make you faster (and safer at a given speed) is;

1. Read "how-to" motorcycle books on cornering

2. SEAT TIME!

3. Dirt riding (this made me a LOT more comfortable when the bike loses a little bit of traction, like going through gravel in a corner)

4. TRACK TIME!

Mike

I thought I was a good rider at 10k miles (because I could whoop up on the 600cc squids on local roads, 2-up on a Nighthawk S)

I thought I was a good rider at 20k miles (this was when I was on the Nighthawk S at NeXXt)

I thought I was a proficient rider at 30k miles (after 10k on the 'bird)

I thought I was a proficient rider at 50k miles

I thought I was a pretty decent rider at 60k miles (This was SeXXt '07, for those who were there... :icon_evilgrin: )

I thought I was a pretty decent rider at 80k miles

Then I did a trackday, which REALLY took the level of comfort up...

now, at ~90k miles, after a couple of trackdays, I've gotten to be 1.5x the rider I was at 80k miles... (and I'm not NEARLY as fast as a lot of guys!)

I guess what I'm saying will make you faster (and safer at a given speed) is;

1. Read "how-to" motorcycle books on cornering

2. SEAT TIME!

3. Dirt riding (this made me a LOT more comfortable when the bike loses a little bit of traction, like going through gravel in a corner)

4. TRACK TIME!

Mike

Seat time,and I look through turns to the point where it looks like i'm exagerating the motion. Track helped me find lines more clearly, but I feel more comfortable and carry more speed on certain roads over the track for when the speed picks up. The track is good for when you are serious about performance and have sprung the bike for your weight to dial in the suspension with the same turns to feel the diffrence. Also nice because theres no cars. :icon_evilgrin:

I actually do not ride on the street nearly as much as I used to, due to doing more and more track days. The track allows you to more fully realize the potential of your riding and the bike you are riding, and the adrenaline rush, there is no comparison. Riding on the track has improved my riding on the street by making me smoother and more in control. I ride on the street now more for the fun of riding with friends, than trying to improve my riding, because of the hazards that you listed. I actually feel like I am riding slow on the street, but I think it is actually because of the smoothness gained at the track, that I am probably riding faster on the street than I ever have. Everyone has listed good ideas, but in the end, at least in my case, track riding was the way that I improved.

Also, bend your elbows. A lot of guys would panic (don't ask how I know) and stiffen their arms thus transferring their weight into to the forks loading the front suspension and minimizing their actual input. By leaning forward you automatically have to bend your elbows and that can help you relax. Again, this is something I learned and works for me. I think I saw it in the twist of the wrist video.

1. Buy good book that attacks this subject like Ienatsch`s Sport Bike Riding Techniques ( all areas of riding) or Code`s Twist of whatever ( he deals with cornering only).

2.Forget everything that you have read in this thread or anywhere else on Internet.

3 Practice,preferably track days.

I would agree with what jcrich and others have said about doing trackdays. I started doing them in 2005 and thought that I was a pretty good rider.........until I got on the track. I have without a doubt, learned more about riding in the last 3 or 4 years (trackdays) than I did the entire time that I've been on a motorcycle.......I started riding in 1971. I still love to ride on the street, but as Rich said, it has become more of a "social event" for me now, but it also has the added benefit of spending good quality time with my wife, as she rides also, both on the street and the track.

1. Buy good book that attacks this subject like Ienatsch`s Sport Bike Riding Techniques ( all areas of riding) or Code`s Twist of whatever ( he deals with cornering only).

2.Forget everything that you have read in this thread or anywhere else on Internet.

3 Practice,preferably track days.

LOL, that's probably the best advice you'll get here.

I'll add one last thing- get someone knowledgeable to observe you or try to get pics. I've found through personal experience and observing others that you're often not doing what you think you're doing. Video is even better.

Look where you want to go. Get your ass off the seat (toward the inside of the turn). Turn the handle on the right. Simple.

I have always found it hard to read while I am riding. :icon_biggrin:

I think if you can translate something in a book to the track, good on ya. I have always been one to have do something to learn and have someone give me feedback.