CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cornering Speed

runner

Guest cudgel

Ride dirt of all kinds, motocross, trials, flat track, etc.

View every chance to make a turn as practice.

Always remember: The road is NOT THE TRACK.

1. Buy good book that attacks this subject like Ienatsch`s Sport Bike Riding Techniques ( all areas of riding) or Code`s Twist of whatever ( he deals with cornering only).

2.Forget everything that you have read in this thread or anywhere else on Internet.

3 Practice,preferably track days.

LOL, that's probably the best advice you'll get here.

I'll add one last thing- get someone knowledgeable to observe you or try to get pics. I've found through personal experience and observing others that you're often not doing what you think you're doing. Video is even better.

+1 to all the above.

Lee Park's "Total Control - High Performance Street Riding Techniques" is a great read, and totally worth it.

Biggest take aways from reading it:

1) Work on one thing at a time. You won't be able to work on everything all at once. Braking, choosing lines, body position, suspension, etc.

2) Muscle memory and consistency are key. If you can do the (right) same things every time, it will soon be 2nd nature. Corollary: If you learn bad habits, they're a bitch.

3) Speed will come with time and practice. If you're doing the right things slowly, you will be able to pick up the pace much more readily when you're ready

4) Controlling and managing your fear is a big part of it, get out of your head, calm your thoughts

5) Corner speed isn't just about one part of the corner, but the entire time from before you enter to when you're through it.

1. Buy good book that attacks this subject like Ienatsch`s Sport Bike Riding Techniques ( all areas of riding) or Code`s Twist of whatever ( he deals with cornering only).

2.Forget everything that you have read in this thread or anywhere else on Internet.

3 Practice,preferably track days.

Disagree with #2. You came to the right place for advice. There are guys here with a ton of street riding and track experience. You know its just a starting point on your educational road, but you have to start somewhere.

Just disregard the posters who wrote/agreed with #2 and then left advice for you anyway. They've obviously been drinking.

Dymag 3 spoke carbon fiber wheels with ABE and Galfer wave rotors.... lol oh yeah and the ohlins forks and custom shock

-1 on track days. I went there and every other bike was a rashed up piece of crap. Then one guy T-boned another. Both of them went to the hospital and both bikes were junk.

Your medical insurance may not cover racing. Your life insurance may not cover racing. Your bike insurance will not cover racing. You, your life, your family, and your bike may all be at risk.

-1 on track days. I went there and every other bike was a rashed up piece of crap. Then one guy T-boned another. Both of them went to the hospital and both bikes were junk.

Your medical insurance may not cover racing. Your life insurance may not cover racing. Your bike insurance will not cover racing. You, your life, your family, and your bike may all be at risk.

You need to learn the difference between a track day and racing. A track day is considered private training by most insurance companies.

As to the day you went to, what track and what organization was that? I've been to over a dozen in the last seven years at a total of five different tracks and my experience is much, much different than yours.

:icon_rolleyes:

As Tim said, you should become a little more educated about the difference. It is not racing.

My insurance covered my fractured radius after crashing at Barber at the end of 2007.

Dymag 3 spoke carbon fiber wheels with ABE and Galfer wave rotors.... lol oh yeah and the ohlins forks and custom shock

Guy had the CF wheels on a duc at beaver 2 years ago. He went straight instead instead of making turn 1 and the wheels disintegrated on him in the infield. He was not happy.

Has no relevance to the question at hand but what the hell.

As Tim said, you should become a little more educated about the difference. It is not racing.

My insurance covered my fractured radius after crashing at Barber at the end of 2007.

As with all insurance, it is not until you go to collect a large sum of money that they would bother to review exactly what you were doing. Just because they paid for one broken wrist does not mean they will pay for a week of intensive care.

Do you really think in the crash above (this was not "follow the leader" with an instructor) that your insurance company would pay off your bike or his?

Perhaps I should have put "racing" but that may be exactly what your insurance company may call it if you crash at 100+ mph while passing on a race course. Your widow may not get too far explaining "Oh no, it was just an educational track day."

As with all insurance, it is not until you go to collect a large sum of money that they would bother to review exactly what you were doing. Just because they paid for one broken wrist does not mean they will pay for a week of intensive care.

Do you really think in the crash above (this was not "follow the leader" with an instructor) that your insurance company would pay off your bike or his?

Perhaps I should have put "racing" but that may be exactly what your insurance company may call it if you crash at 100+ mph while passing on a race course. Your widow may not get too far explaining "Oh no, it was just an educational track day."

Ok, you really need to tell us what track & org this was.

I've never seen a track day with out control riders looking for people over their heads and most reputable orgs won't let you ride in the faster groups without evaluating you first. There are also STRICT passing rules that will get you kicked out if you brake them.

Those Rashed up bikes are usually a second bike just for track purposes.

As to the day you went to, what track and what organization was that?

Still waiting for an answer to this.

I happened to be at Pocono and the event was held by NESBA about 3 years ago.

The crash happened as the bikes came off the tri-oval onto the infield. Bike one stayed high for a late turn in - bike two was behind him but dove down early. Bike one did not appear to see the other. The bike two tried to stop too late but straighted the bike up and thus they impacted at about 80 degrees dead center of bike one.

Yes, I left with a bad impression.

Your speculation is pointless, since you do not know if that would be the case or not. I explicitly let my insurance company know what happen and where it happened concerning my crash. They had no problems with it. As far as my bike, it is a dedicated track bike and I have no insurance on it. As far as the crash you witnessed, it is a high risk sport, whether it is on the track or on the street.

Oh, the drama. :icon_rolleyes:

Dude, sell your bike. Motorcycles= dangerous. Period. If you've managed to convince yourself you're somehow safer on the street than a person who's taken the time to hone their skills in a controlled environment, bully for you, but you're wrong.

As far as the insurance, as Rich said, your speculating. I know several guys who've gone down at the track and had no issues with their medical and even a couple who've had bikes paid for. Would it be a good idea to review your policy before heading to the track? Of course. But coming on here with your wild speculations about unpaid insurance claims and drama about widows, please....I guarantee you you're way more likely to die riding a motorcycle on the street than you are at the track.

I happened to be at Pocono and the event was held by NESBA about 3 years ago.

The crash happened as the bikes came off the tri-oval onto the infield. Bike one stayed high for a late turn in - bike two was behind him but dove down early. Bike one did not appear to see the other. The bike two tried to stop too late but straighted the bike up and thus they impacted at about 80 degrees dead center of bike one.

Yes, I left with a bad impression.

It was more the "every other bike was a rashed up piece of crap" comment I was interested in. NESBA runs a tight ship and if those bikes passed tech, they were safe. It's becoming apparent that perhaps you're unable to recognize a dedicated track bike for what it is. Function over form, and usually in much better mechanical condition than your average street bike. You'd probably think my SV looks like a piece of crap too, but I'm willing to bet it's better maintained than 99% of the bikes on the street right now.

As for the accident, yeah, shit happens, just like on the street. Only difference is there's medical staff on hand at a track day and everyone is geared up to the hilt. How much worse would that have been had it happened on some mountain road? Where would you have people push the limits a bit and ride a sportbike as it was designed to be ridden, should that be their desire?

In other words, what is your response to the original poster's question other than "track days bad"?

"Oh, the drama. icon_rolleyes.gif

Dude, sell your bike. Motorcycles= dangerous. Period. If you've managed to convince yourself you're somehow safer on the street than a person who's taken the time to hone their skills in a controlled environment, bully for you, but you're wrong...."

Go pound sand.

Oh, the drama. icon_rolleyes.gif

Dude, sell your bike. Motorcycles= dangerous. Period. If you've managed to convince yourself you're somehow safer on the street than a person who's taken the time to hone their skills in a controlled environment, bully for you, but you're wrong....

Go pound sand.

You're just mad because he called you out on being a pansy-assed motherfucker. Don't be such a little bitch.

Your speculation is pointless, since you do not know if that would be the case or not. I explicitly let my insurance company know what happen and where it happened concerning my crash. They had no problems with it. As far as my bike, it is a dedicated track bike and I have no insurance on it. As far as the crash you witnessed, it is a high risk sport, whether it is on the track or on the street.

I think it is a valid point. If something goes wrong, don't assume your insurance is going to cover it; you may be at risk.

"Go Pound Sand!"..............Woah, I wish I had the mental capacity to actually think of a comeback like that! Can I use that statement if I ever need it.......or did you copyright it before you turned it loose in here?

:icon_clap:

Back to the original question!

A track day (or two) with the guidance of K Schwantz or F Spencer would be ideal.

I wonder if they make it to the Barber area...I will check the scheduling...

You might want to google Freddy Spencer, he's...eh, not in that business anymore. Took a lot of people's deposits and went belly up. Reportedly left a lot of his employees unpaid as well. Not a popular guy right now.

Schwanz, Pridmore, hell join NESBA or STT and do a beginner day. They've got pretty good classroom sessions and debriefing without paying for a high dollar school, just the price of a trackday.

Mike, I think you have a reasonable but un-informed view.

Track days are considered skill enhancement. They are very controlled but accidents happen everywhere. EMT's are right on it and it is very rare that anyone is so injured they never ride again or die.

I am very surprised to see you take this safety position after we were at Deal's Gap. Your front was so shagged, I'm amazed you road that back to NY. I would not have left town with a tire that way but I'm sure it didn't look that when you left NY.

This just goes to show, everyone has a different view of safe/unsafe. To each his own.

Mike, I think you have a reasonable but un-informed view.

Track days are considered skill enhancement. They are very controlled but accidents happen everywhere. EMT's are right on it and it is very rare that anyone is so injured they never ride again or die.

I am very surprised to see you take this safety position after we were at Deal's Gap. Your front was so shagged, I'm amazed you road that back to NY. I would not have left town with a tire that way but I'm sure it didn't look that when you left NY.

This just goes to show, everyone has a different view of safe/unsafe. To each his own.

I was not going to post because it was just turning into personal attacks to which I won't reply.

Nor do I care to "debate"; I gave my opinion, take it or leave it. As you say "To each his own."

Yes my front tire was worn but it was not stripped down the middle or have cords showing and I took the risk. I'm not afraid of risk. I'm not even afraid of death. Serious injury, pain, long hospital stays, huge medical bills - OK, I'm a little afraid BUT on the street I have insurance for all that.

I am informed. NJ is a "no fault" state. I know my medical insurance did not cover injury resulting from the operation of any motor vehicle. I got a discount for that. My auto or bike insurance is supposed to cover that but they limit it to "normal use ... on public motorways" and they exclude "racing". If I ride a dirt bike in a sand pit I'm not covered. If I ride a motorcycle on a race track as far as I can tell I'm not covered.

I did not read my various life insurance policies but I recall they asked if I scuba dived, hot air ballooned, flew a plane or glider, operated a watercraft, or rode a motorcycle. When I put yes for all those thing they asked did I race and I said no. My guess is they either would not have insured me, would have excluded racing, or would have charged me more money.

I do have a lot of responsibilities. Many of us do. I can't risk everything to learn how to corner better. Me - I'm not too good - I read a book.