CBR1100XX.org Forum

GIMP bird (BAD VALVES?) WTF!

K-TOOL

If it is Seminole Powersports, this is no surprise to me at all. They are by far the worst dealer on the face of the earth. Their sales people suck, their parts guys are unknowledgeable, and the mechanics are clueless, but other than that they are fine. Mike, I think what Chris has just said is key, you must complain vigorously to Honda to get this resolved.

Acting on advice given by XX4me I downloaded the powercommander program and the specific map for an 03 w/ Erion slip ons and a stock air filter. The map showed that an overall leaning of the bike was need. In virtually all fields there was a need to reduce the amount of fuel. This means that putting the slip on's on alone w/out re-mapping would cause the bike to run quite a bit richer. This is contrary to the dealerships claim of the pipes being the cause of the bike running lean. I called to discuss this matter w/ the dealership. This time I actually talked to THE manager. He was singing a little different tune than the other guy I was dealing with. He was not specifically blaming the pipes as the cause. He said that they were unable to find an exact cause and that the regional rep was going to come and look at it to make the determination in regards to it being warranty. He stated that the pipes might make a difference in the decision. The manager did seem more optimistic that this would be covered. He also said that it was running lean all the way across all cylinders and that the # 4 was the one w/ detonation. I am going to take a copy of the map to the dealer to give to the rep when he comes. Hopefully he will have enough sense to realize that the pipes couldnt possibly be the cause. I am going to wait to see what the rep says. If he decides that this is not going to be covered then I will commence to kickin some ass and makin some waves. If need be I will go MOAB :twisted: on somebodies ass!!!!! Like I said, I intend on fighting this. Thanks for all of the advice. You guys have been alot of help.

<snip>This means that putting the slip on's on alone w/out re-mapping would cause  the bike to run quite a bit richer. This is contrary to the dealerships claim of the pipes being the cause of the bike running lean.  I called to discuss this matter w/ the dealership. This time I actually talked to THE manager. He was singing a little different tune than the other guy I was dealing with. He was not specifically blaming the pipes as the cause. He said that they were unable to find an exact cause and that the regional rep was going to come and look at it to make the determination in regards to it being warranty. He stated that the pipes might make a difference in the decision. The manager did seem more optimistic that this would be covered. He also said that it was running lean all  the way across all cylinders and that the # 4 was the one w/ detonation.

FYI, the Magnuson Fair Act provides coverage to consumers. Specifically, a portion of it prohibits manufacturers from rejecting claims under warrantee when a third party product has been used, EXCEPT WHEN the manufacturer can directly PROVE that the 3rd party product itself caused the exact defect/failure. This is the reason that you can use third party (name a part) in your car and the dealer can't cease your warranty to force you to use genuine parts, among other things.

In other words, Honda must PROVE BEYOND A DOUBT that the pipes caused the problem. Otherwise, use of the pipes is incidental to a different issue. The manager knows this, the rep knows this. So should you. Just a thought to brighten your Thanksgiving... :wink:

WOW! :grin: If that is true then its GREAT news. I have held off on getting upset until the rep has a chance to look at it. Thanks for the Thanksgiving pickme up. Everybody have a great day!

One of the MAIN reasons I decided to buy the XX over the ZX11 was the fact that the Kaw had more than one of them gernade themselves.Specifically the #3 rod.Heard this more than once.Had never heard any similar problems concerning the XX (till now).As do all the members(I'm sure),I am anxious to see how this whole problem is resolved.Just my 2 cents worth......if this were my problem,and out of pocket $ was a major issue,I'd consider finding an entire pre owned,low mileage engine.It would be a good bit of work to do all the R&R,but cheaper than rebuilding your original one or option 2,buying a replacement bike.Good luck! ......Smitty

ASK FOR THE PARTS after the work is done .

-Suf Daddy

Wouldn't be the first time some dealer F'd the customer over a simple fix or the like.............................................then again it could be true.................

-Suf Daddy

Dealer called this morning w/ horrible news. Apparently the bike threw a rod and now needs a new crank.  G.D....... M.F'n.......S.O.B :evil: !!!!!!!!!!!   Said it will be a week or two before it will be done.  Most of the time will be waiting for parts, 7-10 days at the least.   In the mean time I picked up a new battery for my Aprilia 650. I guess that will have to hold me over for a while.  

Keep ya'll posted

• 2 weeks later...