CBR1100XX.org Forum

AV46 tire mileage

SwampNut

I have just over 4k on the tire now, and I would call it "half used." Amazing. Meanwhile I've also put down the exhaust canisters easily and they handle so nicely.

tire1.jpg

tire2.jpg

The front tire has over 5k and looks like it is about half done also. I try to minimize front tire wear by keeping it in the air, however.

Excellent!!! Keep us updated. Love mine also.

Do you have the footpeg feelers on and what part of the cans touch down?

After my pegs fold up my fairing scrapes and then exaust collector under fairing.

Yes, factory pipes for me also. :grin:

Stock cans???? Why?

Aftermarket? Why? I really don't understand why anyone would change them.

Do you have the footpeg feelers on and what part of the cans touch down?

Hell yes, they are on there. Otherwise the first indication would be the cans touching, and then it might be too late. Now I touch a peg, know where I am, and the leading edge of the can will touch lightly on a bump. I try to avoid that though, as it's a sign of impending doom. It really is stupid actually.

After my pegs fold up my fairing scrapes

I've heard other people say that, but never touched the fairing. Different riding style and position? I do have the stiffer springs in the forks, are yours stock? They would allows the front to compress a lot more.

Few things on AV 45/46.

Interesting. Same mileage (4400) on mine and it is a bot more worn out in the center (winter pounding not enough twisties action). As with the BT 010s, the wear increases in the center past mid-life (I'll get 1,000-1,500 miles before the center wear mark).

The good part is that the handling does not degrade significantly over time (quick natural steering, good feedback).

The bad part is wet traction, nothing really bad but be cautious in borderline wet conditions. Yesterday, 2nd gear 3,500 rpms cold tire bad wet road (just getting wet, fog type, clean surface), opened it hard (to see) and the rear gave way right away. Nothing really alarming for a sport touring tire type. Dry traction is never an issue.

Hugo

cold tire bad wet road (just getting wet, fog type, clean surface), opened it hard

:shock: Um, you know that old joke where the guy tells the doc, "When I do this, it hurts."

Doc says...

"Don't do that!"

cold tire bad wet road (just getting wet, fog type, clean surface), opened it hard

:shock: Um, you know that old joke where the guy tells the doc, "When I do this, it hurts."

Doc says...

"Don't do that!"

It was a just a test, I needed to see the limit, but I would agree with doc.

Hugo

Yeah, I've got the stock fork springs. They are shimmed for 1 1/2" of static sag though. Come to think of it I haven't got the fairing down since I shimmed them. Do replace feelers at least once a year and they are shorter ones from a VTR.

Leading edge of cans. :shock: VERY edge of a lowside. You'll be in the weeds. :cry: Ease it up. I like to push the leaning envelope also though, but it got me with some fine sand that I couldn't even see last Fall.

Too late for sliders now. :cry:

Is there any differences between the 35/36 & 45/46 other than a numerical designation for this years tire model?

I was talking with a guy at the bike shop I go to and he said that he has gotten better responces from 35/36 owners than that of the 45/46.

Some of the guys who wore out last years model & replaced w/this year said they liked the older ones better????

Anybody have any input to this............... :?:

I am buying a set and can get either, they are still both avail.

Which ones are better - if any?

Is there any differences between the 35/36 & 45/46

YES! First off, I did not like the AV35 at all. I ran the AV36 with an AV39. On the XX, the 35 was a bit...well, it wasn't as stable nor did it turn in as neutrally. The AV45/46 are giving me more mileage AND are stickier. Out of all the tires I've put on this thing (47k miles, been a few), these are my clear favorites for handling.

Carlos

love to hear your opion on the Michelin Pilot Roads :grin: , their in the same league (so I hear) as the Avons. Doing a 400 miler tomorrow on the Roads hopefully the road conditions are better than last week :cry: , I know the temps will be about 15 higher :grin: .

When the Roads are worn, which better be at least 6,000 miles I will also try the Avons :grin: , that is if summer ever gets hear :wink:

Harry

I haven't tried the Pilot Road. I'm not going to buy them, as they are still not dual-compound and I'm sold on that. Using the bike for commuting and long rides means flat-spotting is a real issue.

License plate...long story, but it's from the Turks & Caicos islands. I'm one of the constitutionalist militia whackjob nutcases that won't have anything to do with any government. Don't have a US driver's license either.

The BT-0xx series are dual-compound, as well as all of the Avon Azaro series. The Azaro goes a step further with what they call variable belts. The carcass belts are tighter in the center to reduce flex (which equals wear and heat) while the sides of the tire are softer for a larger patch and more heat (which increases traction and wear).

Quote:  

Stock cans???? Why?  

Aftermarket? Why? I really don't understand why anyone would change them.

Swampy,

It sounds like you ride your bike a whole lot harder than I ride mine. This is my second Blackbird. On my first I never changed out the pipes. On this one, changing out the exhaust system is one of the first things I did. All I can tell you is that you will not believe how much better the bike performs with an aftermarket system. Have you ever felt that slight hesistation when you roll on the throttle before the engine responds? Well, after installing my pipes, I feel no hesistation. Also, I just seems like the bike wants you to open her all the way up with the aftermarket pipes.

Maybe you shouldn't get them; they way you ride, you'll probably hurt yourself with all that extra performance.

By the way, I installed the Yoshimura RS-3 Race exhaust system. And, no you don't have the install a power commander for it to work (although I know I could squeeze a few extra HP if I did). MPG: 32-33.

Joe

I finally got to ride today. Geez I've been working a lot this spring (this is a good thing). This was my first ride on the new Avons 45/46's. I had Dunlop 205's (OEM) last year.

I am AMAZED! These tires make a tremendous difference. After maybe 45 mins of riding I had to get home to make dinner and went to lube the chain and I noticed I'd passed last year's lean angles on brand new tires! There's only 1/4 inch left, and I am no hard fast race type rider. I thought I was just cruising kinda aggressively.

These tires are like glue-to-pavement. Totally confidence inspiring. Totally relaxing even at max lean.

Carlos and everyone who recommended these to me, my thanks and a huge brew to all of ya!