CBR1100XX.org Forum

Throttle Lock recomendations

Bullet

throttlemeister - it's the only one worth the money..

(and the bigger bar ends reduce vibration as well)

Stay away from VistaCruise - it's absolute junk.

the one I had lasted about a month before the hinge/lock

in the system wore out..

:cool: TJ :cool:

throttlemeister - it's the only one worth the money..

Totaly agree. I have the throttlemeister and love it. Would but it again in a heart beat.

Ken

Size....

The heavy is bigger...

I don't know anyone that went with the heavy.

Go with the standard. Heavy is too big. Looks weird.

Standard-polished is what I went with

mnt.jpg

Standard-polished is what I went with  

Same here. As for price I had mine installed on my bike at Americade last year for I think $135 with the HeliBars adapter.

Ken

On my Screen, On the front and side door of my house, on my boat, NRA hitch cover on my truck,

I rarely go out casual without an NRA t-shirt on...

I'm applying for personalized plates on my XX also....

XO NRA :lol::lol::lol:

NEP CC-3 ($20) for ease of use, Throttlemeister ($100) for looks.

I find the Throttlemeister horribly annoying because I use the lock very frequently and just want the on-off of the NEP. See the mods section of the site for photos.

Ditto what Carlos said, and thumbs-up for the install detail on his site.

The day I put money down to buy my bike last year, I went home and ordered the NEP online, so installed it a few days after I got the bike.

They are slimmer than the Vista Cruise, so do not require the ridge on the throttle tube to be removed with a Dremmel, however they look better.

I have a Vista Cruise on my old Yamaha. I find it much more sensitive to the adjustment, so there is a very fine line between too tight or too loose. Not so with the NEP.

Steve

Let’s talk a little about the Throttlemeister. I won’t break any new ground: it’s been said before, but might be worth saying again.

I could not make a Vistacruise work. My bad. It just didn’t cut the mustard. If you can, and like the idea (for about twenty bucks), have a good time.

I bought the Throttlemeister for a long trip, an annual run I make Seattle to Monterey (World Superbike). The unit helped on the stupid freeway droning sections a lot.

As another guy said, they look nice enough. I have standard-sized. Not sure the purpose of the bigger ones, though some swear by them. You don’t have to be an acrobat to engage the standard, with my Irish peasant-paws anyway.

Think about what they do: freeze the throttle position. They are not cruise controls. If you’re on a constant slope, this works great. Few roads this side of Nebraska are. Any change in elevation, you begin to accelerate or decelerate. When this happens, I tap the throttle lightly with the Throttlemeister engaged, either to give a little more or less gas. A pain, but I’ve gotten good at it so it works. There may be some use to partial-engagement settings, though I haven’t found any.

You’d be nuts to use one in the city. The urban freeways I usually ride, some fruit cup cager or trucker is like as not to do damn near anything at any time. Only in the lightest traffic, me on the far side of the commute lane, do I use it. And only then for a couple minutes, tops.

Really these things only provide relief for short spells. That helps quite a bit to relieve hand fatigue, but it isn’t a remarkable wonder-device. As I said earlier, it helped a lot on a couple 800 mile days to avoid finger cramps, thus paying for itself.

I can engage and disengage quickly. With a little practice, it’s no great shakes.

They’re pricey, but if you understand the limitations and still want one the quality’s good. Installation took just a few minutes on my ’99. Recommended, since the Throttlemeister fulfills its (limited) mission adequately.

You’d be nuts to use one in the city.

Which is why I use the NEP. It flicks on/off instantly. And I do use it in the city, as well as in highway traffic where you end up going on/off every minute.

The VistaCruise is not even worth talking about. Total crap.

As mentioned, neither are actual cruise controls.

On the NEP you can also adjust the speed without releasing it.

Once you set the proper tension, it will hold the throttle fixed, but it can still be twisted by hand to increase or decrease throttle.

Like Carlos, I too use it in many situations, as it is so quick to engage/disengage.

If you want an actual cruise control, you can easily adapt an Audiovox CCS-100 to a motorcycle. Here's a sample..

http://pionet.net/~mtnbiker/CruiseControl.htm

Also, there is one specially made for bikes. Francis (FLK) has one on his bird. You out there bud? I forget the details of his system.

Steve

On the NEP you can also adjust the speed without releasing it.  

Once you set the proper tension, it will hold the throttle fixed, but it can still be twisted by hand to increase or decrease throttle.

I do the same thing with the Throttlemeister. You can move it after it's "locked". I'll just engage the thing if I'm gonna be on the freeway for a bit, and it simply stays where I put it. Shutting off the throttle is as easy as twisting you wrist, the only lag in closing the throttle would be if your hand was actually off the bar.

Sounds like you need to adjust it more... I had to tweak

mine alot before it worked they way I wanted. Now it's

perfect. When it's off -- it's totally off. And when it's

100% on -- it's locked solid!

:cool: TJ :cool:

All I have read is good about Throttlemeister, but I can not get my Throttlemeister to stay at a set-on speed. When I lock the throttle my speed slowly drops 5-7 MPH, but then my speed finally levels out. Riding with other riders, matching their speed takes some tweaking.

Hi XXers,

I got this plastic throttle lock 15 years ago for my FJ1100-I think it cost me about $12CAD then. When I bought my CBR, I transferred it to my new bike. I just had to make a metal plate to anchor it to the switch box. This operates with a thumb switch and is quite easy to use.

They must still make this gismo, and even if the price has doubled, it's still worth it.

I have no idea what brand name it is.

But it has worked for 15 years- so it must be durable and reliable.

TimXX

There was a post on one of the old lists where a guy installed a real cruise control on his XX. I think it may have been an Audiovox from RadioShack that cost about $100. Is the installer still on the forum? If I remember right the installation was pretty straightforward.

A real cruise control for $100 and a little work sounds a whole lot better than a $135 ThrottleMeister.