CBR1100XX.org Forum

Which Mobile1 oil?

silverbird1100

Amsoil is about the least expensive full-synthetic motorcycle specific oil you will find. Besides, you only have to change it once a year unless you ride more than 10K per year. Yes, you heard that right. Once a year, but I only put on about 6K per year. Amsoil uses a calcium additive that neutralizes acids that form in your oil from the combustion process. My dad is a dealer, so I get to see a lot of inside info. I change my oil in Nov or Dec since it will sit more through the winter months.

P.S. Follow your owners manual for oil filter change intervals.

I used Amsoil 10w/40 for this trip. It has just shy over 9000 on it now, and I was thinking about going ahead & changing it. Would it be expensive, and where do I do it, to get the oil analyzed? (he he, I used "anal" in a word)

I paid $10.99 per quart at Honda

I used Amsoil 10w/40 for this trip. It has just shy over 9000 on it now, and I was thinking about going ahead & changing it. Would it be expensive, and where do I do it, to get the oil analyzed? (he he, I used "anal" in a word)

You can get it from Amsoil http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/oai.aspx

I have been using Castrol syntec in the Bird since I bought it 2 years ago and just recently changed to Mobil 1 this spring and not 1 problem. I have never used any motorcycle specific oil in any of my bike over the last 25 + years that includes my motocross bikes when I was racing. never had any engine or trans probs except for my 88 KX 250 that I bought used and that ended up being a bent shift fork.

I am running mobil1 15-50 in the Bird right now and it is just fine. I change my oil every 8 to 10 K it shifts nice and smooth and the motor does not make any strange noises either.

After I did some research about the API standards on oil I found that almost all of today's synthetic oils far exceed the requirements of the Birds oil specs.

The only thing that you really need to avoid is the energy conservation oil which I believe is the 10-30 and lower grades. They can cause clutch slippage.

Are you saying you bought Amsoil at a Honda dealer? That's really surprising. BTW you got screwed on the price. Suggested retail according to the dealer book is $9.50. Of course, you're in Chicago, so I guess everything is a little more expensive.

Yeah, Mobil 1 makes some good stuff, but how much for a quart?

I think I see it at Wally mart for about $5 a qt.

But I'm to lazy to make a second stop. I get good prices from the local stealer and would be about the same as what I pay for Honda synthetic.

But I'm to lazy to make a second stop. I get good prices from the local stealer and would be about the same as what I pay for Honda synthetic.

$5 is for the car oil. :icon_snooty: How much for the motorcycle specific oil?

$5 is for the car oil. :icon_snooty: How much for the motorcycle specific oil?

Don't know? Like I said LAZY I just get the oil at the Honda stealer when I pick up filters.

just changed to Rotella full synth, seems great so far

Careful changing oil brands. I switched from HP4 to Rotella synthetic, and before I knew it, my Blackbird was switched for a Suzuki.

:icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin: