CBR1100XX.org Forum

Axle misaligned

mack82097

I'm having a bit of trouble trying to get my axle to stay aligned, and it's causing way too much chain slop. It's a daily ritual...I loosen the axle nut, back out the left adjuster screw to pull the left side of the axle back in line with the right side, then torque to 69 ft/lbs. This still happens even if I just go around the block. I'm at the end of my rope trying to figure it out.

The only other thing I did recently was to remove and regrease the swingarm pivot bolt. However, I did not touch the swingarm pivot adjusting bolt or lock nut. Could this be the source of my problems?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The swingarm locknut could well be your problem, not done up right and allowing a bit of flex throwing the back wheel out each time you ride it. You really need the special tool to torque it back up correctly they're £60 over here so probably be $60 there, you think you get ripped off for Honda spares but you ought to live here!!.

Be worth it if you're doing it regularly but if not take it to a Honda dealer for them to do it for you.

Joe,

I triple check both sides of the axle before and after I torque it down and it's always dead even. I also just bought a brand new torque wrench just for this task. Still no luck, and I'm worried that the axle will fly off when I least expect it to. My next step is to remove and retorque the swingarm pivot bolt, adjuster bolt, and lock nut. I just have to order a special lock nut wrench from Honda to do it. This is becoming a royal pain in the ass.

When you tighten the ajuster nuts, are you turning them out, or in?

Turning them in will allow a small amout of travel inward (looser chain), Turning them out would only allow the wheel to move back (tighter chain, not likely)

I always snug them up outward after tightening the axle, never had a problem.

BTW- check your PM.....

The adjusters are for just that, adjusting. Once you tighten the axle nut to 69 (why not 70 :roll: ) ft. lbs you could throw the adjusters away.

Something else is amiss here. Are the spacers all in and in the correct location? If the swingarm bolts were loose the allignment marks still wouldn't change.

What about the hub assembly, is that all together correctly?

I'll ponder awhile more.................

I disassembled and then re-torqued the swingarm pivot bolt, adjusting bolt, and lock nut. Problem solved, even though I'm not sure why this worked. Hats off the Redbird, who lent me that special Honda socket so that I could properly removed and re-torque the lock nut. Thanks to all for your helpful tips.

Colin