CBR1100XX.org Forum

99 Bird got Towed - Update

tofastgt

I took the bike out Friday for a nice relaxing ride. I stopped to get a bite to eat. When I came out to start the bike, it started kinda slow. Rode about 1 mile down the road and noticed that the tach read 0 at stoplights. Once moving it came back up again. Then the speedo started reading erratic. I tried to get the bike home, but it died at the next light in traffic. I duck walked it across 2 lanes of traffic into a parking lot and called the tow company. Once I got the bike home, I checked battery voltage and it read 11.4. The headlight would come on, but nothing when I tried to start it up. I'm not sure the age of the battery since I'm the second owner. I'm gonna replace the battery and R/R. The bike is a 99 with 29500 miles on it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, what is involved in replacing the stator? The R/R looks pretty easy. I think.

Thanks

Update: I tried to recharge the battery on a tender, but it wouldn't charge up. I'm going to replace the battery and replace the R/R for good measures. Hopefully, this will get me up and running. Once running I'll check the voltage and make sure all is well.

Update: I have the R/R and Stator on order. I pulled the stator off last night and it had exposed copper wires in the same location as Rich's pictorial. I'm still going to replace the R/R with a new one. I decided to check the Wire Loom block today and when I cut open the electrical tape, a bunch of corrosion came out. I'm thinking that caused my electrical system to crap out. I'm gonna clean it up and install the new parts when they arrive. I'll post a final report when done.

Sounds like the R/R to me. I was coming home one night running at 70mph when the gauges started going crazy the head light started to dime and if I tried to give it to much throttle is would bog. If I stopped or the bike rpm go to low it would stall and that would be the end. Luckily I made it two blocks to my house before I HAD to stop. I installed a new R/R (off a R1, I have a 98XX which is the fix for the 97-98s) it’s never given me any more trouble.

I never had any problelm from the stator but changing the R/R is cake.

You may just have a bad battery, severely discharged from riding in traffic, frequent starting or high load. Its possible that you may have a reg or stator problem, but don't plan on all of them.

The spurious gauge activity is the cardinal sign of low voltage.

Remember, if you're really stuck, when stuff like this occurs, you can often give the battery a little time to itself (20-30 minutes), pull the headlight plugs (or fuse), push start the thing, and get another 20-30 miles out of it....which might save your life if you're in the wrong place when it happens.

What kind of tow...flatbed?

The the truck have a chock?

The truck was a flatbed and they put the bike in a front wheel chock. They were extremely careful hooking the straps up since I have a custom paint job on my bike.