CBR1100XX.org Forum

Milage

Silverbird2

2002 with Staintune slip-ons and stock everything else. My low has been 28mpg and my high was around 36. I average around 32mpg with mixed riding.

Now a question. What would adding a PC do to the mileage? I'm sure every bike is different, but with my current set-up is it worth it? In terms of gas mileage? In terms of performance gains?

Thanks.

To answer your question.... will adding a PC get you better gas mileage or more performance...well..................... IF you can find someone smart enough to adjust it propperly....

Then it takes a miracle to find someone smart enough to do both for you....

So..... I don't know what to tell you... other than... make damn sure you do your home work first.

Right at 40 mpg year-round....mostly highway with some backroads. 98 bird with full Muzzy system and K&N filter...

I get 35 MPG normal riding, this is either 2 up or not..... Now if I am slabbing it and stay at 70 MPH or below I will get 42 MPG, as soon as I go above the 70 mark it starts dropping quickly.

I have a PC with a custom map and am one up in the front

So far i am getting between 37 and 44 mpg and the 44 is if i ride conservativley and i cruise on the freeway at 70-75, i have a 23 mile commute each way and i can do it 5 days a week on one tank. But i have to be "good".

Jet

Eric, what are you showing on your afr's???

Silverbird, dibbs on the pc3.

I am going to change the wireloom out to a 2002 today and the pgm-fi. Not sure if my pc2 will work with this setup. I am getting into the 12's on my afr's on the quad. rarely see any 14's. The faster I go the less I get. Not the same as you guys for sure. At 100 for a hundred miles, a tank. The big tires are like pulling a parachute. Even at slower speeds still pretty bad.

With the 225's I have gotten 45mpg at the speed limits comming back from Bonniville

I hate to do some areo work to improve the drag cause it will change the looks so much. The big tires are just for looks around town and grins, and comming off today. So don't expect them at ozarxx.

Gotta lot to do to get ready.

Check back later.

S,

Afr's are 13.4:1 everywhere above 40% TP and above 7K...

Below those numbers.. I have the AFR's set at 14.7:1... except at the specific RPM and TP settings for cruising at 35,45,55,65,and 75 mph where I shot for 16.7:1

Works great.... although there was this problem with the 5% TP settings... but I got that fixxed....

... So now I have awesome gas mileage when I'm easy on the throttle, and yet... I still have all the power when I want.

We'll talk more at OzarXX, and I'll fill you in on the little details.

S,

Below those numbers.. I have the AFR's set at 14.7:1... except at the specific RPM and TP settings for cruising at 35,45,55,65,and 75 mph where I shot for 16.7:1

Works great.... although there was this problem with the 5% TP settings... but I got that fixxed....

... So now I have awesome gas mileage when I'm easy on the throttle, and yet... I still have all the power when I want.

That is what I thought, but mine are 12 and some 13"s and I am taking a lot of fuel out, need to get agressive I guess.

Can hardly wait, but have so much to do to get ready. Changing the wireloom on the quad to a 2002 loom, and adding a electric shifter. Todd is sending me his, but I found one on ebay and installed it last night, tried to test it, but no work. gotta do some more checking today and finish up.

Got your visitor yet?

Well my mileage just went to shit! Yesterday was my first real ride of the year and the local gas has 10% ethanol and my mileage dropped to 28 MPG.... I'll keep an eye on the next couple tanks of gas to see if this continues...

Might have to go get a new map put on the bike....

Right at 40 mpg year-round....mostly highway with some backroads. 98 bird with full Muzzy system and K&N filter...

I get about 40, +- 2 mpg all year around. Bone stock, except for the K&N

S,

That is what I thought, but mine are 12 and some 13"s and I am taking a lot of fuel out, need to get agressive I guess.

Can hardly wait, but have so much to do to get ready. Changing the wireloom on the quad to a 2002 loom, and adding a electric shifter. Todd is sending me his, but I found one on ebay and installed it last night, tried to test it, but no work. gotta do some more checking today and finish up.

Got your visitor yet?

No visitor yet, probably not till Sunday...

Don't worry about the your AFR's until after we have a good long talk... I'll explain... you'll see.

Glad... you're getting the shifter.... should I bring an extra seat per our discussions earlier ? (which reminds me... I still need to finish fixxing that other seat ... )

Well my mileage just went to shit! Yesterday was my first real ride of the year and the local gas has 10% ethanol and my mileage dropped to 28 MPG.... I'll keep an eye on the next couple tanks of gas to see if this continues...

Might have to go get a new map put on the bike....

Running Leaner raises the cylinder temps slightly.... which really helps the flame speed of the Ethanol laden gas... hence another reason I'm running 13.4 to 14.7 alot....

We've been on Ethanol gas around here, during the winter months for years now... and yes it fucking sucks Moose Nuts.... power is down, mileage will go down, and it'll eat your rubber lines after a while...

As a general rule of thumb... power and mileage will go down half of the percentage of the ethanol added... meaning if you have 10% ethanol, your power and milage will drop about 5%... if no changes are made to counter the effects, of the different fuel.

• 3 weeks later...

2003, purely stock.

Commuting, 34 mpg unless I'm being rowdy.

Charging around in the twisties, 32 mpg. A bit less in the winter.

Highway, I usually cruise at 70-85, 37-39 mpg.

The best is when I'm backroads touring with friends, who most often do speedlimit+10.

That gets me 39-40 mpg consistently, it's the moderate speeds and long stretches

without stoplights, I think.

'Course there's all kinds of variables. In the winter they sell MTBE gas here, that

brings it down by ?? percent. And it's 10% ethanol all the time now, that hurts too.

I get over 40 mpg if I put premium in, but I usually run regular unless A) it's really

hot weather; or B) I want the extra power. The manual says 87 is fine, but I think

the knock sensor is limiting max power, especially when it's hot out. So I end up

twisting the throttle further and my mileage goes down. When I'm touring,

the low fuel warning comes on at around 170 miles when I use regular, but not

until 190 or so miles with premium.

I bought my bike in August 2005 as a close-out, zero miles. I assumed that the

mileage would get better as the bike broke in, but with 17K miles so far, I haven't

seen any significant improvement yet.

2005 with std pipes ,K&N filter PC 111, 02 sensor eliminator, now getting 38 to 42 mpg average

when akra pipe fitted with other listed mods with custom map 28 to 32 mpg average :icon_confused:

11,800 kms on the clock

40mph. running 2-up highway at 80mph, stock birdy 1997. D&D exhaust at the time. Went back to stock pipes and am going 1 tooth up front -after i get a time-slip at bristol that is! Probly change plugs and windshield then recount.

I have a 2007 with K&N. On ~95RON E10 I get ~41mpg when commuting. (~35mi each way with ~32 slabbing at 65-75, most at 75). Up to 44mpg if I use 98RON. (Shell V-power, etc)

• 2 months later...

Back in may on my way home from WVXXT riding 2 up on mixed roads at reasonable speeds I averaged 43mpg's around town I have been getting about 33mpg.

I have been noticing that it changes drastically from tank to tank depending on where I fill up. I think it is that 10% ethanol bug. :icon_confused: On my way to PRIXXS with the wife I got 35mpg that was 2 up with saddlebags and topcase loaded, running aboout 85-90mph. I will check it again on my way to NEXXT but I will be riding solo and only have the topcase loaded, OH ok I will try to keep it to just 5 over :icon_biggrin:

Who am I kidding no I won't :icon_twisted:

I am thinking about rejetting it this winter cause when I bought it I was told it was jetted for 800' above sea level. Well here in Jersey if we are 50' above sea level that is a lot. So if I am really nice to Brett maybe he will help me out. :icon_biggrin: :icon_pray:

Always use Sinclair premium - no ethanol I get 45 when I'm easy on the throttle.

My son gets 35 with his honda - a CRX with a bigger than stock motor, WTF???