CBR1100XX.org Forum

Spark plug?

BlueBlackBird

Did I miss something? While searching NGK plugs for my 2000(CR9EHVX-9) I have come up with CR9EHIX-9, this is the iridium plug, is it worth getting, my plugs(CR9EHVX-9) have been in for about 20,000KM> and seem to run fine but this year I am going on a few longish trips and dont want to be stuck! By the way the snow is finally GONE here!!

NGK CR9EHIX-9 is what you want.

The CR9EHVX-9 are platinum tip, CR9EHIX-9 are the updated Irridiums.

You should check your plugs at least, if your going to go throw the trouble of checking them change them. It's a bit of a pain to get the plugs in and out. Irridiums are claimed to be good for 32K Miles.

Edit.. Just so you know if you do get new plugs, DO NOT try and gap them. They come right and using a tool to measure them can damage the tip.

I do things when I do winter maintenance.

I have a K&N filter, so I clean and re-oil that every winter.

Plugs normally should be changed every 20,000 (IIRC), but I say change them when it feels like they need it. If Iridiums are rated for 50K, just change them when that starts to come close. Frankly, I just did my plugs, and while the bike ran fine, I notice that it's significantly smoother running now. So, I think you can feel when plugs are coming due for a change.

Just a note.......spark plugs are like diapers.

Change them when they are either dirty, or getting old.

While its true that the irridium coating on the plugs is very tough and will resist breakdown/wear for a long time, that doesn't mean that your plugs won't become fouled or dirty enough to impinge upon the strength of the spark. A long lasting plug does you no particular good if the engine runs a little rich. Ours does, especially if you're running a power commander or such. While I've seen plugs with 30k on them that looked great and ran well, I've also seen the other side where irridiums with less than 10k on them were fouled.

The XX ignition system is not some NASA technology that only works with irridium plugs. You would probably do just as well with a standard plug as long as it was changed more frequently.

I'd run whatever was available as long as it was in the right heat range, whether it was platinum, irridium, pandimonium, or llamacum.

Just a note.......spark plugs are like diapers.

Change them when they are either dirty, or getting old.

While its true that the irridium coating on the plugs is very tough and will resist breakdown/wear for a long time, that doesn't mean that your plugs won't become fouled or dirty enough to impinge upon the strength of the spark. A long lasting plug does you no particular good if the engine runs a little rich. Ours does, especially if you're running a power commander or such. While I've seen plugs with 30k on them that looked great and ran well, I've also seen the other side where irridiums with less than 10k on them were fouled.

The XX ignition system is not some NASA technology that only works with irridium plugs. You would probably do just as well with a standard plug as long as it was changed more frequently.

I'd run whatever was available as long as it was in the right heat range, whether it was platinum, irridium, pandimonium, or llamacum.

:icon_loser: Like all WANGS, Joe uses honda approved butt-plugs.

I have about 9600 miles on my 2003 Bird. Is it time to change plugs and air filter?

I don't have my owners manual in front of me. But I think plug inspection on the 01 and replacment at 32. May be 18 and 36.

I would pull my filter and look at it. Rap it gently on a wall or stick, just like you would any paper filter. If it isn't dirty, run it to the mileage recomended by the manual.

Me, I wouldn't worry about the plugs until inspection mileage. I pulled mine, and replaced them at the inspection mileage. Not because they needed replacement, but because I didn't read the manual correctly. :icon_redface:

As with any engine, yours could be different. But you would have had to really been hard on the bike, or burned diesel to have bad plugs at 6K.

If I go through the work to pull my plugs, they are getting replaced.

Of course, I save the old plugs (if they are in good shape) so I have quick replacements....just in case I need them and can't wait for new plugs to come by UPS.

I'm sorry Joe but I would stay away from the pandemonium plugs. They always seem to run too hot for me. :icon_biggrin: