CBR1100XX.org Forum

99 xx Clutch engages eratic ?

chatvmax

I have a 1999 CBR xx bb,

Im the second owner, the original owner was a older guy that i cannot se ever getting her hard,,, it has 7k miles on her,,

Issue:

This will be my second summer on her,, I am not hard on her but i don’t baby her,, No wheelies burnouts and such but :

I noticed toward the end of last season that when I accelerate from a dead stop real,, [ but not enough to do a burn out ]

The bike lunges, it literally feels like i am letting the clutch all the way out and then pulling it back in very fast over and overexteremely fast,, a bit hard to explain but i would classify it as a pulsating lock up and disengage,,

I have noticed after studding it closely when it is happing it almost feels like im getting into a place where the clutch lever is half out and half in,, the clutch SHOULD be predictably slipping while its 1/2 engaged, but its bouncing between

100% engaged and not at all,,

IMPORTANT NOTE:

This only occurs when i am feathering the clutch to take me from a stop to clutch fully disengaged...

Over the winter went ahead and changed and bleed the clutch fluid,, [ note that it has a decent amount of moisture in the fluid,, but now all fresh and clean,,, and I also disassembled the clutch, inspected all the plates, basket and all,,,

I replaces the metal and friction disks just because,, but the old ones were flat as I laid them out on glass and shown really no wear at all,, also the basket looked straight and showed no wear at all..

All other times the clutch / trans perform flawlessly,, also once the clutch is fully disengaged no matter how hard I hit it she NEVER jumps. Lurches, or pops out of gear,,,

[ had a vmax once that had second gear dogs go bad and I had to split the cases and replace all the 2nd gear wheels in the trans,, BUT this trans is rock solid and NEVER skips a beat in first or any gear no matter how hard I jump her,,

IT IS ONLY WHEN CLUTXH IS BEING FEATHERED ON A HARD ACCELERATION FROM DEAD STOP,, and then not always..??

Anyone ever seen this one,,,, any ideas,,,,,???

My first 99 did it just like you say launching at anything over 3500 rpm. The 99 I'm riding now isn't near as bad. I have no idea why.

If you want a real smooth clutch engagement, call Brock Davidson Enterprises. He can make you one of his clutch cushions that will give you what you want. You will have to sent him your inner clutch hub for machining.

Anyone ever seen this one

,,,, any ideas,,,,,???

No, and did you remove and clean the actuation rod?

as i was searching the threads i came across that...

pull the front sproket cover from the other side of the motor and slide the rod out and clean her up...

THATS NEXT !

Then if it doesnt work i will try getting with the company mentioned in next response,,

well thanks guys,, that gives me a starting place....

ill keep you all posted..

PS: what was the $$ on the remanufactured clutch basket...??

Make sure you don't have any air in the line. I had that problem after bleeding mine, but it felt funny too in the lever. Some times it is hard to get all the air out with all the nooks. Made me buy a vacuum bleeder. Works better.

Then if it doesnt work i will try getting with the company mentioned in next response,,

well thanks guys,, that gives me a starting place....

ill keep you all posted..

It was a $100 plus shipping, but that was about 5 years ago. The clutch cushion has stiffer springs, so your lever pull will be a little harder. Try the bleeding first. If your not drag racing, that may be enough to satisfy you.

chatvmax, if it helps, I have a inner clutch hub and a couple other parts from a FI (99+) XX that you can send off for work. So you wouldn't miss any riding.

chatvmax, if it helps, I have a inner clutch hub and a couple other parts from a FI (99+) XX that you can send off for work. So you wouldn't miss any riding.

Thats what I like about this community of riders...

Thanks so much but I actually picked up a entire clutch assembly off e-bay this winter that looks new for like,,, 35 bucks and 20 shipping,,, this was crawling around in the back of my mind so i dud it :-))

But the offer is awesome and much appreciated... :-)

Ride safe,,,

Ill keep all posted on the vaccume bleeding and then the clutch rod cleaning and let you know the results :-)

Ya did it now. We're going to have to start calling you MrGoodExxample. :icon_biggrin:

Ya did it now. We're going to have to start calling you MrGoodExxample. :icon_biggrin:

ask my wife and she will disagree :-)))

• 1 year later...

ask my wife and she will disagree :-)))

I know its been a while but noticed that i never posted my fix,,

I took the "spare" clutch basket i got off e-bay and cleaned up the slight groves from the clutch plates and reinstalle,,

FIXED 100% :)) smooth as glass,,,

The clutch plates must have been hanging in the wear mmarkes in the basket...!

Thanks All...!!

I never had this issue with my '97. My '99 has a bad clutch grab. I always thought it was due to the clutch plates being reduced from nine to seven. I'm going to look into this a little deeper. Thanks everyone!

There was a spring plate (or something like that) on the '97 & '98 clutches that helped with the grabiness.

• 3 weeks later...