CBR1100XX.org Forum

What temp?

BigArn

OK, new XX owner here. What do you guys allow your coolent temp. get to before taking off?

Thanks

Mark S.

I am a bit of a pain in the ass with my bike, I will let it warm up to 175 then turn it off. I will then let it sit for at least 15 minutes to let the oil and the engine absorb the heat of the coolant. After that ready to roll!

Now someone is going to pipe in as soon as it fires up.... up like I said I'm a pain in the ass when it comes to warming up the motor.

I don't even think about it.

Of course, the first couple of miles is just a leisurely ride to get out to the main road, so it's not like I open it up anyhow.

+1

OK, new XX owner here. What do you guys allow your coolent temp. get to before taking off?

Thanks

Mark S.

I am a bit of a pain in the ass with my bike, I will let it warm up to 175 then turn it off. I will then let it sit for at least 15 minutes to let the oil and the engine absorb the heat of the coolant. After that ready to roll!

Now someone is going to pipe in as soon as it fires up.... up like I said I'm a pain in the ass when it comes to warming up the motor.

Holy shit! That's way too much prep. Who has the time for that.

FIRE AND GO!! That's how I roll

Ummmm... It's a Honda.

Mine's carbed, so I just let it warm up til it's time to back off... then I hit the road.

+1 carbed aslo

choke off time to go, unless I'm in a hurry 1/2 choke and go.

warm until half choked. 2minutes tops. Cruise 3 blocks, ease choke off and continue cruisin' easy till midways. Course, that's only in the winter.

My 99 and I have a routine. Start the bike, put on jacket, helmet, gloves. Check all the lights, if this is the start of the day-check the tire pressure. Usually by this time the bike has settled and started the loping sound that lets me know she is ready to go. Takes about 3 minutes unless I have to put air in the tires then its 5 minutes. I have an analogue temp gauge and the needle is usally off the bottom but not very far past the lower line.

I usually leave for work around 5:40am and my neighbors (some anyway) have hinted that my start up procedure may take a bit too long. Oh well.

I wait until a temperature reads instead of dashes. I don't hammer it until it's up to temperature.

+ another 1

I take it easy for the first few miles, until the temp gets up to its normal range and it also give the tires time to warm up....

Start bike, helmet, zip up, gloves on - go smooth and easy first 2-3 miles.

You will see the temp go up, then the thermostat will open and the temp drops again.

Once the temp comes back up to a steady reading.... Rock and Roll!

BTW Red Line Water Wetter will keep the reading around 182 in the open unless it's a hot day then 188-196.

Everyone feels that once the coolant is up to temperature it ready to go???

It has nothing to do with the temperature of the oil? Sure seems like it should, or maybe not?

It has nothing to do with the temperature of the oil? Sure seems like it should, or maybe not?

In my early bike days Oil temp was much more important. The trick with any engine is to have sufficient oil flow. 1960's and 1970's 40 weight was still thick long after a engine was up to temp. But these new multi- weight oils flow well at temperatures much colder than I will ever see in South Georgia. Besides, we don't have a oil temp gauge.

I warm mine up to the low 170's then go. More important to me, is checking that chain tension, and tire pressure during the warmup.

A Honda engine will probably tollerate starting off cold, but low, cold tires can kill you.

In my early bike days Oil temp was much more important. The trick with any engine is to have sufficient oil flow. 1960's and 1970's 40 weight was still thick long after a engine was up to temp. But these new multi- weight oils flow well at temperatures much colder than I will ever see in South Georgia. Besides, we don't have a oil temp gauge.

I warm mine up to the low 170's then go. More important to me, is checking that chain tension, and tire pressure during the warmup.

A Honda engine will probably tollerate starting off cold, but low, cold tires can kill you.

I was informed by a local tuner, that the most important step to a long lasting, high performing engine is proper oil temperature during warm up. He suggested the steps I take, no we don't have an oil temperature gauge, but we can just reach down and put our hands on the engine case to make sure it has warmed up prior to starting. Once you have done this a couple time you know how long it takes to transfer the heat from the coolant to the oil in the case.

On his spare time he does work on honda's

giving a helping

hand

post-101-1205080701.jpg

It really does not take that much longer for the heat to transfer, once the temperature is up to 175, then you do all your checks, tire pressure, chain and put your gear on.....

Thanks everyone. I'm new to this bike. Learned much about my BMW on Forums much like this. Very valuable info here, thanks.

Mark S.

• 1 month later...

I pulled this off of another site, thought it was interesting to this thread titled "Motor Warm-Up"

"1. OIL TEMP OIL TEMP OIL TEMP! Our bikes dont have that, but yet ALL the TOP sports/race cars do..why? its the #1 most important thing. Sure your bike warms up (water) FAST in under 1 min, but thats cause its a. water and b. has a thermostat to help it warm up. The oil temp does NOT.

Oil temp is SO critical its hard to state enough. ANY of my racers will tell you how often i yell if i see someone cold reving an engine!! I will BITCH SLAP anyone of my guys that does that!

When oil temp is low, the water could be fine, racers hurry and rip it down the track..thick oil/low temps cause or can cause a lot of bearing wear. 90% of bearing wear is at start up/low oil temp!!

2. Oil temp/Engine temp is critical on race engines due to Piston to Cylinder head clearance...seriously, my 06+R6 ss motors WILL/CAN hit the pistons on head if you rev the shit out of them when cold! the engines block/cases/cylinders need to HEAT UP and GROW!! We have done a TON of testing in ovens (not home) to see just how much more clearance you gain once the motor is fully warmed up...its pretty surprising!! the point is that in order for me to give you 100% the best i can, we must push the boundaries, and as such there are certain things i MUST INSIST on!

3. Just take it easy on 1st lap..even once warmed up, treat motor like cold tires..give it a lap or two..whats the goddamn hurry?

4. Finally. best thing to do, is what i am SUPER anal/critical in doing. EVERY time 1st thing in the am (weather the Ducati 848, my MV street bike, or even when i had my NSX) i will start them in am, and let IDLE to warm up..watch water temp...climbs to up 200degs....then shut off...water temp will drop slowly down like it should and yet the best thing is the oil temp will CONTINUE TO CLIMB! Heat soaking hte motor is such a good thing!! SO now when you start for the ride/drive/race and water temp jumps to 180...your oil temp is 180+ TOO...not 80 like 1st time!!

So there ya go....dont warm up the oil and"