CBR1100XX.org Forum

popping out of 2nd gear

Opus X

This is driving me nuts. Every once in a while my tranny is popping out of 2nd into neutral. It only happens when I am shifting quicly, (ie no lag, I'm sure theres another term for this) and all of the sudden, under power the tranny will pop back to neutral and of course my engine will momentarily race. It sucks because it only happens when i execute an otherwise perfect shift and can continue smoothly accelerating through the gears. It never happens in any other gear. Am I just not "seating" the shift or do I have a tranny/clutch issue? It is an '03 with 25k on the bike, I ride it everyday and this seems to be a new problem.

This is my first bike and I lack the vocabulary that comes with experience.

Anybody have any ideas?

Tim

Two things, one is a bent or worn shift fork, second thing is worn ears or dogs on your gear 2nd that meshes with gear 6. Best fix honestly Factory pro evo shift kit.

http://www.factorypro.com/

This will prolong the inevitable and for all purposes remove any mis shifts as long as your tranny isnt completely hosed which I doubt it is!

This also happens to me.

I noticed it tend to happen when I am near oil change time.

After an oil change this stops happening (till almost oil change time again)

OR

I too need the shift kit. :icon_redface:

All those posts above are right but before you take the powerplant a part make sure that shifter shaft moves freely,parhaps it needs to be cleaned where it pivots in the case/cover.

What type & weight of Oil are you running ?

I run castrol GPs 20W-50. I'm pretty religous about oil changes-every 4k miles. I am do for a change. i'll see what happens after that.

Thanks for all the good advice

CBRBEAR, what are the benefits of the shift kit other than fixing this? Does it enable smoother shifting?

Tim

Shift kit ordered. Went to the sight, sounds like what I need. Anything that will improve MY performance on the bike is a no-brainer. It would be great if it came in this week as I am riding from Tucson to Las Vegas on Friday.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Now to pick everyones brain (except DBLXX, of course :icon_biggrin: ) about a pistol for my wife.

Tim

The shift kit provides smooth positive shifting and eliminates mis shifting. I have been running thier shift kits in all my bikes. Just got the local ducati shop on board too when they installed them in my two duc's. Huge improvement with the shift kit and then the evo star takes it to another level. The guys are good about getting them out. I live in socal and they show up 1-2 days at my house after ordering and the directions for installation are spot on!

• 2 weeks later...

OK so I finally got the shift kit from Factory today and I'm thinking great! I can install it this weekend. Wrong. I need to order Honda part 07724-00500002 which is a large 12 point socket required for removing the clutch hub nut! This would have been good to know before I waited a week and a half for the kit. Oh well, as my wife would say "luck of the irish" (who new they meant BAD luck?). On the plus side the instructions look good although pictures would help, especially for a novice like myself. I will take pictures of the install and post my impressions of the improvement though it will be at least a few weeks as I am tied up with work on the weekends for awhile.

Since I'm getting into the clutch anyway should I replace the discs? (or anything else) The bike is an '03 w/25k miles.

Tim

OK so I finally got the shift kit from Factory today and I'm thinking great! I can install it this weekend. Wrong. I need to order Honda part 07724-00500002 which is a large 12 point socket required for removing the clutch hub nut!

I used a 28mm 12 pt socket that I bought at Sears. I'm pretty sure it was a 28mm, can someone confirm this? You'll also need a clutch locking tool. I have a homemade one if you need it, works great.

OK so I finally got the shift kit from Factory today and I'm thinking great! I can install it this weekend. Wrong. I need to order Honda part 07724-00500002 which is a large 12 point socket required for removing the clutch hub nut!

I used a 28mm 12 pt socket that I bought at Sears. I'm pretty sure it was a 28mm, can someone confirm this? You'll also need a clutch locking tool. I have a homemade one if you need it, works great.

You can also an air impact to remove the nut, but make sure the gun is on its lowest setting so you don't round off the nut or socket. The nut shouldn't be on very tight. I think I used a standard size socket to remove mine last time. Not sure what size it was. :icon_redface:

OK so I finally got the shift kit from Factory today and I'm thinking great! I can install it this weekend. Wrong. I need to order Honda part 07724-00500002 which is a large 12 point socket required for removing the clutch hub nut! This would have been good to know before I waited a week and a half for the kit. Oh well, as my wife would say "luck of the irish" (who new they meant BAD luck?). On the plus side the instructions look good although pictures would help, especially for a novice like myself. I will take pictures of the install and post my impressions of the improvement though it will be at least a few weeks as I am tied up with work on the weekends for awhile.

Since I'm getting into the clutch anyway should I replace the discs? (or anything else) The bike is an '03 w/25k miles.

Tim

I dont remember what I used but it wasnt a special tool. I believe they even talk about it on the site and for some reason a 12pt socket does come to mind.... anyways also on the site they have pictures and I didnt need any stinking clutch locking tool and this isnt the 1st 2nd 3rd or even 4th time installing one as I just put one on my 900RR.... so yeah

Tim

I dont remember what I used but it wasnt a special tool. I believe they even talk about it on the site and for some reason a 12pt socket does come to mind.... anyways also on the site they have pictures and I didnt need any stinking clutch locking tool and this isnt the 1st 2nd 3rd or even 4th time installing one as I just put one on my 900RR.... so yeah

cbrbear (quote)

I looked again at the site and didn't see anything about the socket and while they have many installation photo guides they don't have one for the 'bird. I'm sure it won't be a problem I was just bummed that I couldn't do it on the only weekend I have open for a while. Of course I could work on it a little at night but that would mean I couldn't ride for a couple of days :icon_shifty: You know how it is, you have this brand new shiny farkle that you just can't wait to put on and then you have to ....wait. Patience grasshopper.

I'll get it on and all will be right with the world.

Any thoughts on the clutch disc replacemet

Tim.

I was pretty certain they mentioned it though you may have to read down under customer reviews... sure the pics arent of the bird but if you have the bird manual you can easily see it. As far as clutch goes I use full barnett.