CBR1100XX.org Forum

What tires are you all running and what wear?

TuffguyF4i

Uh oh. I went on a 300 mile trip and got back with cord showing on my rear Diablo. WTF! This tire has just barely 2,500mi on it and I have NEVER done a burnout or skid to a stop! I only weigh 150lbs and my rider (20% of the time) weighs the same. This tire had awesome traction and I loved the ride, but 2500mi? I'm scared to change because I can't deal with less wet traction :icon_whistle: . Someone convince me the strata (or another compound) rear will give me better tire life w/o losing the rear as my knee grazes the pebbles.

I have just put on my 4th PR2 rear and am getting ~10 000km to a rear and actually wearing the sides out before the centres :icon_surprised:

I was thinking of trying the Conti Road Attack after some good things from guys over east on OzBB but the distributor here in West Aus only has the lower spec ones not the "C" spec for heavier bikes and they are $20+ a tyre more expensive :icon_rolleyes:

With all the difference of experience I'm wondering how much road surface factors in. I can imagine there are significant road material differences across the planet , even differences in concrete.

Have the Storms now and can't stand them........ they just don't want to turn in and it drives me nuts.

Cant wait to go back to the ROADTEC Z6's. Last set i ran them front and rear and loved them..... yes, knee dragging loved them. Great in rain. The front will push some if pressed but so do all tires on a big bike. I feel like doing a big ol'long burn out to just be rid of the Storms.

IMO

Edit to add milage: Roadtec Z6 (Front-8,372 miles Rear 4,503 miles) Aggressive rider.

Agree comletely with the Z6 as a kickass tyre... currently have Michilin M3 front, Pilot Road 2 rear which is good and wears well, but not as confidence inspiring as the Z6 f/r combo was.

Avoid Bridgestone BT016 like the plague if you're not an agressive rider (takes too long to get heat into it and its as slippy as baby snot when cold)

With all the difference of experience I'm wondering how much road surface factors in. I can imagine there are significant road material differences across the planet , even differences in concrete.

It obviously has a HUGE effect on tyre choices, the Poms seem to really like the Bridgie's, Avon Storms and to a lesser degree the Dunlops :icon_eek: NZ seems similar in as far as the Storms and Bridgie's are popular :icon_think:

Surprisingly the Dutch and some others in Europe like the Dunlops :icon_duh:

From reading on here it seems like Michelin's, Conti's. Pirelli's and Metzler's depending on where you are and down here in Aus the Michi's seem to be the most popular although the Conti's are gaining ground with some guys over east :icon_surprised:

From reports over here in WA the Conti's seem to square off quicker due to the rougher roads :icon_think:

Almost no one here in Aus seems to like the Bridgie's and apart from a couple who have tried the Roadsmart most avoid Dunlops like the plague :icon_eek:

It must also be different if you are running on concrete rather than asphalt :icon_surprised: Never seen a concrete road :icon_confused:

I'm just over 6K miles with a set of PR2's and no visible sign of squaring off on the rear anytime soon. With my daily Fla usage, I typically will wear out the middle first from all the straight, flat, boring roads. This is my first set of tires on the Bird and they seem to continue to hold up well with no apparent lack or loss of traction in the wet as they wear. I was wondering this weekend if my suspension upgrades have helped the tire life... dunno. On my VFR in comparison a set of PP's would be square and need changing at 5K, PR's at 6K. I don't have a lot of "twisties" down here and subsequently don't really push my Bird like I'm sure others on here do, I'm more of an interstate and back roads/sweepers kinda touring sort FWIW.

Have a trip up to the Gap scheduled in a few weeks (proally be a quick 2000 mile weekend), and debating whether I should put a fresh rear sneaker on prior to leaving... I proally will just for the peace of mind should bad weather come along for the trip... but I'd bet even money I could make another 2K mile on the current rear tire...

I'm running the bridgestone bt-002 up front and bt-016 on the back and I love them. Just got back from Deal's Gap NC and I had plenty of grip, never felt a slip and we had some 75 degree days and some 55 degree days. I adjusted the air pressure to suit the different temps and it was a rock solid ride. I've put over 3k on the front and it's like it never wears out. Rears are a different story but so far, 3k in it's looking good. I don't touch knees but I'm edge to edge on the tires and like them a lot. I tried the Michelin Pilot Power 2ct on the front and Pilot Road on the back and didn't care for them. Lots of movin' around at an aggressive pace, nothin' serious but still a little unnerving and didn't help the confidence much.

I love my Dunlop Qualifiers.......except on long highway trips. The rear wears too quick in the middle. I now have a Roadsmart to put on for longer trips. It seems to handle okay, but I don't have enough miles on it yet to comment on wear.

On a related note, I have found that when running sport-type tires higher pressures will yield a little more mileage. The sportier a tire is, the more flexible the carcass. This flexibility is great for providing more grip, but it lets the rubber move more at the contact patch which means more wear.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running Avon AV46 front and AV48 rear, with 6000 miles I've put on them so far. The rear is getting a little flat, so I'll likely be replacing it before too much longer, but we'll see. The front is showing little wear at all.

In Washington's wet weather, it's handled rain with no gripes, and my reasonably mild sporty riding style.

I'd heard that the Storm replaced these, but that they weren't living up to the standard of the tires they replaced, but I don't know that for fact.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still baffled by people saying they get 10,000 miles out of a tire. I have never gotten more then 6,000 and average 5,000 miles a set. I've run Michelin PR, Metzlers Z6, Dunlop and Bridgestone Bt-021. Maybe it's the road surface out here or maybe the high road temps.

The fronts always wear faster then the rears I think because of elevated cornering speeds and braking forces.

I'm on a pair of Road Smarts and at 3,000 miles the front is almost gone. The rear still has a couple k left.

I'm still baffled by people saying they get 10,000 miles out of a tire. I have never gotten more then 6,000 and average 5,000 miles a set. I've run Michelin PR, Metzlers Z6, Dunlop and Bridgestone Bt-021. Maybe it's the road surface out here or maybe the high road temps.

The fronts always wear faster then the rears I think because of elevated cornering speeds and braking forces.

I'm on a pair of Road Smarts and at 3,000 miles the front is almost gone. The rear still has a couple k left.

I get 10k out of a rear pilot road

8-9k out of a Diablo Strada

7-8k out of a rear Pilot Power or regular Diablo

Got 6500 out of this first Corsa III rear

multiply by 1.5 for front tires... 2 rears = 1 front...

Pavement is pretty smooth here... I know PA has some pretty rough pavement, though... I also do a lot of interstate to and from work...

Mike

Uh oh. I went on a 300 mile trip and got back with cord showing on my rear Diablo. WTF! This tire has just barely 2,500mi on it and I have NEVER done a burnout or skid to a stop! I only weigh 150lbs and my rider (20% of the time) weighs the same. This tire had awesome traction and I loved the ride, but 2500mi? I'm scared to change because I can't deal with less wet traction :icon_whistle: . Someone convince me the strata (or another compound) rear will give me better tire life w/o losing the rear as my knee grazes the pebbles.

I have just put on my 4th PR2 rear and am getting ~10 000km to a rear and actually wearing the sides out before the centres :icon_surprised:

I was thinking of trying the Conti Road Attack after some good things from guys over east on OzBB but the distributor here in West Aus only has the lower spec ones not the "C" spec for heavier bikes and they are $20+ a tyre more expensive :icon_rolleyes:

The road attack is by far the best sport ouring tire for grip. Cranking the throttle open leaned over in 2nd and it just rocket. Knee draggin,2 up knee draggin,2 up loaded ith luggage knee draggin,rain,wheelies,my insane 170mph morning commute,never gave me a problem with grip. Only thing is the front and rear were both toast at just short of 2500 miles. The front was worn flat on the left side and was unbalanced enough to cause massive headshake when you take your hands off the bars. The rear was almost down 2 the chord. I'm sure without powering the front up, and taking off like a jack(ass) rabbit from evey light and riding a few minutes a week at a legal rate of travel would help. :icon_evilgrin: Should be good for 4K miles with a older brain controling the throttle. :icon_biggrin: I sent you a pm of my morning ride 2 work,6 days a week and a diffrent one showing grip right afta an insane rainstorm. :icon_evilgrin:

I don't have longevity numbers yet, as I've only put about 500 miles on them, but

I'm very pleased with the Dunlop RoadSmarts I just put on. Really good grip in the

twisties. It will be interesting to see how well the dual compound does at long wear

in the middle.

The road attack is by far the best sport ouring tire for grip. Cranking the throttle open leaned over in 2nd and it just rocket. Knee draggin,2 up knee draggin,2 up loaded ith luggage knee draggin,rain,wheelies,my insane 170mph morning commute,never gave me a problem with grip. Only thing is the front and rear were both toast at just short of 2500 miles. The front was worn flat on the left side and was unbalanced enough to cause massive headshake when you take your hands off the bars. The rear was almost down 2 the chord. I'm sure without powering the front up, and taking off like a jack(ass) rabbit from evey light and riding a few minutes a week at a legal rate of travel would help. :icon_evilgrin: Should be good for 4K miles with a older brain controling the throttle. :icon_biggrin: I sent you a pm of my morning ride 2 work,6 days a week and a diffrent one showing grip right afta an insane rainstorm. :icon_evilgrin:

What tires have you run for comparison??

FWIW, the Diablo Strada will pull up the front wheel in a 45F rain...

Mike

From one of the regulars on OzBB

Not sure how to rate the longevity of the rear Roadsmart, I only got 28,000km from it.
:icon_eek:

Hell, even my first rear on my first BB was at 18,500km. It was worn out in the middle & on the left side. Since then, though, I usually just wear out the middle.

It's the mainly M4 commuting that does it. Nowhere to get on the gas & no corners to speak of. Boring, but better than sitting in a cage or train. And much quicker & more convenient too. :)

I sent you a pm of my morning ride 2 work,6 days a week and a diffrent one showing grip right afta an insane rainstorm. :icon_evilgrin:

Mike

Yeah I have had the front up a few times in 2nd on my 98 with the PR2's :icon_twisted:

I sent you a pm of my morning ride 2 work,6 days a week and a diffrent one showing grip right afta an insane rainstorm. :icon_evilgrin:

Mike

Yeah I have had the front up a few times in 2nd on my 98 with the PR2's :icon_twisted:

Exactly... People say "this tire is the best" without having tried anything else... The fact of the matter is; ALL of the major brand tires are good these days, and sure as hell a lot better than they were even 4-5 years ago...

Mike

Exactly... People say "this tire is the best" without having tried anything else... The fact of the matter is; ALL of the major brand tires are good these days, and sure as hell a lot better than they were even 4-5 years ago...

Mike

Yeah and different countries have different road surfaces which suit different tyres and different riding types require different tyres as well :icon_surprised:

I also had a instant blowout last year on my rear PR. 1 inch gash cut through the tread at 60+ mph. I heard the pow through ear plugs and full face, but had to stop to be sure the tire was flat. On a straight road, the tire was very well behaved with no air. This alone is a great reason for me to buy one again.

:icon_shocked: That is a very reassuring story. I run PR2s. I hope they are capable of the same performance if that ever happens to me. I think I would shit myself if I stopped and saw something like that.

On a slightly related topic, has anyone else noticed the Pilot Powers bleed air. I had to top them up constantly. Friends noticed it too after I mentioned it. (Once a week, not dangerous or anything). I only had one set but I really liked them. I check the PR2s often but they rarely need more air.

I noticed that too.... but it turns out mine was the stems. I did an experiment with the front using a steel stem, and the rear with the rubber stem, and guess which one leaks? The rubber stem. Not bad like you state... just every week or two you need to check for a drop of a few pounds.