CBR1100XX.org Forum

Factory Pro shift stars

rhubarbray

I`m looking at changing the shift star on the end of the shift drum to try and get better/smoother shifts. Has anyone tried this item from Factory Pro? Thought I`d ask opinions before dropping $200.

I`m looking at changing the shift star on the end of the shift drum to try and get better/smoother shifts. Has anyone tried this item from Factory Pro? Thought I`d ask opinions before dropping $200.

THEY ARE AWESOME!!!! I USE them in all my bikes. Directions for installation are spot on and they are pretty simple to install but you do have to remove the clutch basket. They also are pro military with a 50% discount!!!

Recommended.

Understand that this modification will significantly increase the amount of effort needed to shift, in exchange for more precise and faster shifting. If you row the gearbox a lot, you'll notice it after a day in the twisties.

How does that work? Seems the opposite to me, before I had to tug like hell sometimes between 1st and 2nd, not with the star it practically goes in itself.

I'm not sure why that would happen for you, unless perhaps you were shifting too slowly, or at too low an RPM, but that's merely conjecture. Keep in mind that the mechanics of the 1st-2nd shift are just a wee bit different than all the other shifts. I have no answer for you, but can only remark that a stocker should have lesser effort. It's very obvious to me whenever I get on an XX other than ShadowfaXX (the white one).

The high-performance pieces marketed by Factory Pro have several design elements.

One, the ramps are reshaped, and are steeper to ensure faster and more positive engagement.

Two, the spring is stiffer, to ensure faster and more positive engagement.

Three, the pressure point for the shift spring is a roller bearing rather than simple metal to metal contact, which minimizes the wear and increased friction that the stiffer spring would cause.

yeah what he said. big thing to me is positive shifting even if you pussy foot it, you dont get false nuetrals, kick backs, just plain ol hey next gear!

The high-performance pieces marketed by Factory Pro have several design elements.

One, the ramps are reshaped, and are steeper to ensure faster and more positive engagement.

Two, the spring is stiffer, to ensure faster and more positive engagement.

Three, the pressure point for the shift spring is a roller bearing rather than simple metal to metal contact, which minimizes the wear and increased friction that the stiffer spring would cause.

The detent arm bearing is also smaller than the factory roller, allowing it to sit further into the star.

So now I need to worry about things wearing out or not? I shift a lot but never in aggression

No, not at all.

The factory arm has more friction than the replacement does, just as Joe said. The replacement uses a proper bearing instead of the bushing the stocker uses.

I don't think its anything to be concerned about. While the increased strength of the spring will place more pressure on the detent arm and the shaft bearings, I think they are probably up to the task. That's specifically what changing the detent roller from a bushing to a bearing in designed to do...reduce wear and decrease the force necessary to actuate the system with the stiffer spring. As I said, I wouldn't be concerned...and am not considering mines been in use for 25k plus miles.

Has everyone who has changed the star also replaced the spring? I`ve read some people leave the stock spring in and just change the star.

Factory Pro sells the kit a couple of different ways. I went with the full kit, which included the star, spring & detent arm. For the difference in cost, I would definitely go with the complete kit.

Not to brag but myself and a brit XX owner by the name of John Williams helped Mr. Salvisberg spec out the original shift kit in 98'

Mr. Willims has sinced moved on but I've had a detent roller bearing in my XX for almost ten years and have not missed a shift yet. Tops.

The stars a little bit newer but anyone who knows Factory Pro knows they are aces. If I was buy a dyno it would be his. His website has laods of info. I dont think he sleeps as he also is a Mille R guy and has done good stuff with it too!

http://www.factorypro.com/

• 2 weeks later...

personally, I thought the factory pro spring required too much pressure.

So installed the Factory Pro detent and star but used a new honda factory spring - note this was on a 600 F2.

Made a world of differnce, no more false nuetrals, postive shifts as well.

Just throwing this out there.

Finally, a cool gadget I don't need! My bird shifts like magic at every speed and rpm. I have noticed kick-back when going into nuetral, but that's only when I'm being a jack ass and trying it at excessive speed. Anyone have a general idea of how long the stocker lasts, under fairly mild riding conditions? I do quite a bit of shift riding in town. Thanks. looks like an awesome product!