CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cheap PAIR Elimination

MrBadExxample

Good information!

I will clip mine closed and see how it helps out the power.

In theory, you could also likely use a mini u-bolt and cut off ar-irflow that way as well.

Now if I can just find one of those clips at my dealer...

Good information!

In theory, you could also likely use a mini u-bolt and cut off ar-irflow that way as well.

PAIR elimination is not a power upgrade. Yes, it will aid in obtaining correct A/F ratios if you're dyno tuning, but simply disabling or removing the system gets you no appreciable increase in HP.

Good information!

PAIR elimination is not a power upgrade. Yes, it will aid in obtaining correct A/F ratios if you're dyno tuning, but simply disabling or removing the system gets you no appreciable increase in HP.

Well, shit! I am running a 97 w/B&B exhaust(yeah that's right, i said B&B). It has been tuned for the pipes ( so I was told). After reading about all this, I was convinced it would free horsepower. What gives? Is the decrease in backpressure and increase in intake flow all just a myth? Damn, seemed like everyone agreed on this one! :icon_wall:

Many of the posts early in this thread were tongue in cheek, some may not have understood that and I can understand the confusion. Eric's comments on colder, denser air causing more back pressure are most likely true, he's a sharp guy who has played around with the exhaust and A/F ratios on the XX as much as anyone- but gains to be had by eliminating that cold air would be infinitesimal, IMO.

Good information!

Well, shit! I am running a 97 w/B&B exhaust. It has been tuned for the pipes ( so I was told). After reading about all this, I was convinced it would free horsepower. What gives? Is the decrease in backpressure and increase in intake flow all just a myth? Damn, seemed like everyone agreed on this one! :icon_wall:

Removing the PAIR system (I did it on every bird I've ever owned) makes it much much simpler to do maintenance items such as replacing the spark plugs.

I am running a 97 w/B&B exhaust. It has been tuned for the pipes

Never heard of B&B pipes before. Something new? :icon_wink:

I was at a nice B&B recently, no pipes tho.................... :icon_biggrin:

Now to clarify, DUH! If you give a bike 20 HP the steering gets quicker!

Now removing tounge from cheek, no power gain, just cleans up top end for easier valve cover or spark plug removal. Might lessen backfire out pipes on decell.

I'm a cheap bastard but I still bought the plates since they can remain in place to remove the valve cover. Thanks Red J!

I am running a 97 w/B&B exhaust. It has been tuned for the pipes

Never heard of B&B pipes before. Something new? :icon_wink:

Drank some B&B at a Christmas party :icon_thumbsup:

damn, you guys got me! they are D&D. Can I pawn that one off as a typo, or is it just too obvious I was on the sauce and smoke the day I typed that? Anyhow, I guess I'll leave the pair alone for now. If the gains are minimal and my riding ability is also minimal, then I guess they'd cancel each other out. Thanks guys. -Shane

• 1 year later...
Step 0. Reed Valve Cover - before modification

post-1763-1192897205.jpg

Step 1. Cut away the bulge at the top. Takes about 30 seconds with a cut-off wheel on a dremel tool.

post-1763-1192897311.jpg

Step 2A. 1/2" copper plug. $3.00 in the plumbing section of Lowes.

post-1763-1192897407.jpg

Step 2B. Heat copper plug with a propane torch and tap over the snout. It's a very tight fit. I couldn't get the cap on without heating it.

post-1763-1192897481.jpg

Step 3. Cap the airbox opening that feeds the PAIR valve

post-1763-1192897561.jpg

Step 4. Connect the two vacuum ports on the carbs that supply vacuum to the PAIR valve.

post-1763-1192897619.jpg

Step 5. Go destroy the environment just so you can have a cleaner cylinder head.

So on a fuel injected bike where should i look for the vacuum supply that is shown connected together on the carbs?