CBR1100XX.org Forum

Wadded up chain breaks main case

signranger

I have owned my 1997 Blackbird for about ten years now. I enjoy riding hard and always have. I have been thru at least 5 chains, 5 sets of sprockets, and many sets of tires. I have always ridden my Blackbird agressively with confidence regarding dependability, performance, etc. Finally, I have caused a problem that has no simple answer. My chain broke during an attempt to do a first to second gear wheelie. Something I have done countless times. Although I ride as much as possible, I have only accumulated a little over 40K miles on this bike. I have tried many bikes in an attempt to replace my Blackbird but have yet to find anything that accommodates all aspects such as comfort, performance, appeal, dependablilty, agility, etc. Oh...did I mention comfort. Anyway, when the chain broke it wadded up in the front counter shaft sprocket breaking the slave cylinder mount for the clutch, the counter shaft sprocket cover, and two of the mounting screw inserts on the main engine case. In other words, it pretty much ruined my favorite motorcycle. I now ponder what appears to be the only answer to my problem which is to purchase another Blackbird. The only other fix seems to be changing the engine out. I am not interested in welding bits and pieces back together in an effort to remount the slave cylinder and sprocket cover. There are no leaks. The only damage seems to be what I have listed above. Is anyone aware of an aftermarket rebuilder capable of building a higher performance engine to take the place of my existing engine? The thought of riding another bike doesn't excite me. If that is my only option then I will do so. I would appreciate any helpful input. Thanks in advance. Signranger (currently with a dead Blackbird).

Sorry to hear about your bird. From what I have read, you can substitute a FI engine if needed.

As to more power, maybe Northman will post up. His NA bird was very potent.

There are two mechanics in my town capable of rebuilding a CBR1100XX engine. They've worked on almost every race bike in Central Virginia. In fact I'm riding around on a ZX6 with an engine from one of them. Let me know if you want their contact info.

Coincidentally I have an extra 97 XX sitting in my garage right now, busted plastics, but everything else is okie dokie. If interested, send me a PM.

Oh one more thing. Post up some photos of the damage There's a couple people on here that can give you definite advice if you can show the problem.

Stan, please pickup the white courtesy phone....

It depends on the damage. Suprising that the chain would snap in the 1-2 wheelie shift. This is a normal routine for me too. The chain must hac=ve been about ready to go. Again, it may be fixable, or a substitute engine should definitely be considered.

A lot can be done by a good welder. I suspect the repair that you need may only cost a few hundred dollars. Have someone look at it before you make the decision.

As far as a built engine, Elton Fish is one of the "go-to" guys. www.efrracing.com

Its your bike, and its your choice how you treat it. But that's an incredible amount of abuse to require 5 chain/sprocket sets over 40k miles if they are on the street. Adjusting and oiling moving parts is useful in promoting long life and preventing component failures that can be painful, expensive, or both.

Post some pictures, but I am sure that it is weldable. If no oil is coming out should not be that bad. Better if you have all the parts that broke off, I can do it, but shipping a motor complete can be high.

Are you capable of pulling the motor, how about pulling the motor down?

Where are you located?

Buy a 14.

Then crash it the same day you get it. :icon_biggrin:

It wasn't the same day. It was at least 24hrs later :icon_lol:

I think the Black Bird Gods were punishing you for straying to another brand. :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_snooty:

Been there,2-3 yrs ago now. had it fixxed in a week bike was just at nexxt where do you live? Repaired it, very good work looks like nothing happened mark bailey 301-421-1832 removed the engine myself. hope this helps good luck.

...... I have been thru at least 5 chains, 5 sets of sprockets,......I have only accumulated a little over 40K miles on this bike. .....

Really :icon_confused: ? Even if you do a lot of wheelies, no more than two, or maximum three sets should be worn out on that distance :icon_cool: .