CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rattling Gears and Counter Balance Shaft Adjustment

MrBadExxample

If someone happened to be doing the adjustment, pics would be great to see. I haven't heard of maybe doing it I'm sure it can't hurt.

There's a stripped down XX in my garage, I'll photograph the three adjustment points this evening.

The balancers take out the higher frequency vibrations, it appears the transmission is gear driven off the crankshaft. The vibes would obviously transfer into the transmission which could cause some difficulty in shifting. When you smooth out the vibrations at the crank it smooths out the transmission giving you smoother shifting.

The Honda manual has a section in the back briefly explaining the balancers. I could be way off base in my explanation. I'm sure someone here with more experience will explain better.

If someone happened to be doing the adjustment, pics would be great to see. I haven't heard of maybe doing it I'm sure it can't hurt.

I've got a stripped down XX in the garage, I'll photograph the three adjustment points this evening.

Pictures would be great!!!

I have noticed that I get more vibrations after a high heat ride. ( Stop and Go). Rubber mounts on balancers? The bike seems to smooth out again after sitting a few days. Vibrations never come close to my Magna, but they still change.

I know the European site did a long thread on vibes, but never found a finite answer.

Thanks for the efforts to train the rest of us.

There's a stripped down XX in my garage, I'll photograph the three adjustment points this evening.

Please do. That'll be greatly appreciated.

I need more pictures! Where in the hell are all the adjustment points. The manual needs more pictures!

There's one on the left rear of the engine, just above the water pump. Another on the right rear of the engine, about six inches across from the other one. The third one is on the right front of the engine, down low.

I'm a very visual person so the pics would be great plus any nws you have to offer as well!

The manual pics, there so close your not sure the engine is not upside down or which side the pic is taken.

Well then, pictures it is.

Step 1. - warm up engine, let it idle.

Step 2. Loosen pinch bolt. With a large slotted screwdriver, turn Rear Balancer Idle Gear Shaft clockwise until the gears whine, then back off one gradation. Tighten pinch bolt.

post-1763-1191973906.jpg

Step 3. Loosen pinch bolt. With a large slotted screwdriver, turn Rear Balancer Shaft counter-clockwise until the gears whine, then back off one gradation. Tighten pinch bolt.

post-1763-1191974052.jpg

Step 4. Loosen pinch bolt. With a large slotted screwdriver, turn Front Balancer Shaft clockwise until the gears whine, then back off one gradation. Tighten pinch bolt.

post-1763-1191974145.jpg

Step 5. RTFM

Well then, pictures it is.

Step 1. - warm up engine, let it idle.

Step 2. Loosen pinch bolt. With a large slotted screwdriver, turn Rear Balancer Idle Gear Shaft clockwise until the gears whine, then back off one gradation. Tighten pinch bolt.

post-1763-1191973906.jpg

Step 3. Loosen pinch bolt. With a large slotted screwdriver, turn Rear Balancer Shaft counter-clockwise until the gears whine, then back off one gradation. Tighten pinch bolt.

post-1763-1191974052.jpg

Step 4. Loosen pinch bolt. With a large slotted screwdriver, turn Front Balancer Shaft clockwise until the gears whine, then back off one gradation. Tighten pinch bolt.

post-1763-1191974145.jpg

Step 5. RTFM

It sounded like the manual said adjust with engine cold and turned off, then start and check, adjust if needed then tighten up. Did I miss something?

It sounded like the manual said adjust with engine cold and turned off, then start and check, adjust if needed then tighten up. Did I miss something?

There are two parts to the procedure. Yes the first part is done with the engine off. You turn the shaft till you feel resistance and then back off a gradation. When I did that part, nothing really changed. The second part is done with the engine warm and running, which is what I described in the photo post. It created the improvements described in my opening post.

There are two parts to the procedure. Yes the first part is done with the engine off. You turn the shaft till you feel resistance and then back off a gradation. When I did that part, nothing really changed. The second part is done with the engine warm and running, which is what I described in the photo post. It created the improvements described in my opening post.

Thanks for taking the time, I have a over 65700 miles and I'm hearing a little noise, so I'm going to try and adjust.

I was looking at doing this a while back as my XX is at ~62 000km and I have a bit of a vibration from the bars and left foot peg but the manual was a bit vague :icon_surprised:

I think a lot is chain related but I think some is definitely engine :icon_think:

The balancers take out the higher frequency vibrations, it appears the transmission is gear driven off the crankshaft. The vibes would obviously transfer into the transmission which could cause some difficulty in shifting. When you smooth out the vibrations at the crank it smooths out the transmission giving you smoother shifting.

I guess I can buy that explanation, however, I didn't notice any different shifting characteristics between the proper timing on the bottom balancer and when it was 180 degrees out. Also, I thought all you did was adjust the gear back-lash. That shouldn't change any vibes, just the noise.

Of course the power of the mind can be a funny thing. I put new brake discs on my truck last week and it somehow feels faster. Go figure??

Is the whining easy to distinguish? The gears, not mine :icon_whistle:

On my bike the whining was unmistakeable. Turn the shaft too far and the tranny sings like Michael Jackson at a daycare.

Thanks for motivating me to do this! Engine is a LOT quieter! It seems like the kind of noise you got used to and don't notice till it's gone.

I had to turn 1 adjuster a half turn to get the whine. Makes me wonder if it was ever done right at the factory. Can't see that much adjustment needed for wear.

The 2 right side ones were easy, the left one next to the starter was a bitch just to see it with the coolant hoses and wires in the way.

I had to prop the tank and with the right length extension and universal break the pinch bolt loose.

also don't snap the throttle without first tightening the bolt or it will move and you'll loose your adjustment.

Have a seat on the sofa and tell how it felt.

You felt who on the sofa.... J/K

Thanks for all the info, I was looking for some winter projects :icon_thumbsup: