CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rattling Gears and Counter Balance Shaft Adjustment

MrBadExxample

Winter project? :icon_eek:

It took me about an hour and most of that was removing the left and right fairing.

Just got back from work and not only is it quieter it's smoother also. :icon_dance:

You all need to do this, you might be amazed. If not, then at least you know it's adjusted right.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I understood the engine off and cold part to be done after assembly of the engine.

For those that do the adjustment please post up your results.

I adjusted the clearances on the shafts as described here and in my manual and although mine weren`t out by much, maybe 1 mark, it didn`t do much for the vibration. The shifting however has improved by quite a bit! Not exactly sure how, not sure if it`s in my head, but it definitely seems better.

And also noted a slight reduction in clutch basket rattle when cold. Unexpected, but nice.

Upgraded forks from Northman, better shifting, almost feels like the first time I got on it after getting of my FJ1200!

Thanks guys!!

• 1 year later...
Thanks guys for all the info.

Going to try it.

Still wondering how you get at the left side balancer seeing as how I couldn't find it at all.

see other post. answer there

I think the Haynes manual is incorrect on one of the shafts - it says to turn it anti-clock and then anti-clock one graduation.

That can't be right. Also it doesn't really distinguish clearly between the rear idle and rear balancer.

It should say one on right and one on left.

I think the Haynes manual is incorrect on one of the shafts - it says to turn it anti-clock and then anti-clock one graduation.

That can't be right. Also it doesn't really distinguish clearly between the rear idle and rear balancer.

It should say one on right and one on left.

might look here for a really good deal on a real manual, or not

:icon_whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I marked them before I moved them with tippex.

It's easy really - except the left hand one!

and you can clearly hear the squeal.

BUT - when it had cooled down I started it to put it away and the squeal was back??

I hadn't got the time to let it heat up. Do I have to try again tomorrow?????

Thanks in advance. :icon_biggrin:

I change the coolant as well which was easy - didn't take as much as it claimed in manual.

Have those manuals thanks

Well then, pictures it is.

Step 1. - warm up engine, let it idle.

Step 2. Loosen pinch bolt. With a large slotted screwdriver, turn Rear Balancer Idle Gear Shaft clockwise until the gears whine, then back off one gradation. Tighten pinch bolt.

post-1763-1191973906.jpg

Step 3. Loosen pinch bolt. With a large slotted screwdriver, turn Rear Balancer Shaft counter-clockwise until the gears whine, then back off one gradation. Tighten pinch bolt.

post-1763-1191974052.jpg

Step 4. Loosen pinch bolt. With a large slotted screwdriver, turn Front Balancer Shaft clockwise until the gears whine, then back off one gradation. Tighten pinch bolt.

post-1763-1191974145.jpg

Step 5. RTFM

Is the idle not anti-clockwise?? step 2