CBR1100XX.org Forum

Honda Anti-freeze

blackhawkxx

You guys beat on me about using Dexi-cool (car) anti-freeze, so I thought this winter, I would change to the Honda stuff. The thing you didn't tell me was how much it cost. $4.00 per quart x4=$16.00 per gallon but it is premixed with 50% water, so true cost (compared to Dexi-cool) is $32.00 per gallon! I have two bikes and you already talked me into using Mobil 1 at $22.00 per gallon. You guys are killing me. :cry:

No, you're right, I have no clue on Engine Ice's freeze protection. Not exactly on my priority list...

Leaves and grass suck. They eat up time you could spend riding. The rocks and cactus in my yard don't care if I leave them unattended for a month. We have evergreens too though, so we do have trees. And cactus are trees too. Hell, I live right outside the Saguaro National Forest.

I bought a gallon jug of non-premixed Honda antifreeze and mixed it myself. I don't remember it being all that expensive.

$4.00 per quart x4=$16.00 per gallon but it is premixed with 50% water, so true cost (compared to Dexi-cool) is $32.00 per gallon!  

The $4 quarts are already premixed. You only need 3 if you're doing a flush, since you can't drain all the coolant out of the block. For doing this only every 2 years or so, $12 shouldn't be something to cry about.

Or get a gallon of the unmixed stuff and use distilled water. That brings the cost down to about $10.

I readily experiment with different brands of lubricants, but I don't screw around with coolant....for as little as it costs, and for as long as it lasts, just pout the OEM stuff in there and fuhgeddaboudit.

Craig

I would change to the Honda stuff.  The thing you didn't tell me was how much it cost.  $4.00 per quart x4=$16.00 per gallon but it is premixed with 50% water, so true cost (compared to Dexi-cool) is $32.00 per gallon!  I have two bikes and you already talked me into using Mobil 1 at $22.00 per gallon.  You guys are killing me. :cry:

Since using the wrong coolant cause the only mechanical failure that my Goldwing ever had at 51,000 miles, I started exclusively using the Honda stuff and the bike is still staying nice and cool after 120,000+ miles.

Since I only change coolant every 2 years and ride in temperatures ranging from 0 to 100 degrees... I'm quite happy with the Honda product.

Besides, I have an extended warranty and Honda will never give me shit over a leaking water pump if I have their coolant in the radiator. :grin:

I had to laugh at as I was admiring their thirteen foot stature

Saguaros are a bit taller. And they're even older than your short-lived redwoods and such. Some of these were around for the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

0604sr-saguaro.jpg

So far it looks like I'll be in town all of November...

Must do...

Arivaca Road, Kitt Peak, Gates Pass (where that photo was taken). Those are perfect for an all-day, do-all-of-them ride. Gates Pass is right outside my house, and leads towards Kitt Peak and Arivaca.

Devil's Highway is a must-do, but in November may already have snow due to altitude. The loop out there and back through Salt River Canyon (miles and miles of 130MPH endless sweepers) is about 700 miles, another good all-day ride. I usually do it in about 14 hours with stops and side trips.

Mt. Lemmon was always a good nearby road, but with the fires and increased law enforcement lately, don't know. Haven't gone up there in a year.

Hwy 83 to Sonoita/Patagonia is another great one. The Patagonia Lake Road is stunning, low-traffic, never seen a cop there. Huge elevation changes allow you to see through huge sweepers, perfect pavement. Coming out of Patagonia leaves you near Arivaca Road, which then leads up to Gates Pass, so that's another potential all-day ride.

Other than Devil's Highway, when I say "all day" I really mean leaving at 10, stopping for lunch and fucking around a lot, doing a road back and forth a few times, then being at the bar by 6.

Oh, and you're welcome to stay at my place. Safe bike storage, extra room, hot tub and kegerator.

I bought a gallon jug of non-premixed Honda antifreeze and mixed it myself. I don't remember it being all that expensive.

My Honda motorcycle dealer did not have the gallon non-premixed antifreeze. Did you get it from a Honda car or bike dealer?

Just got done doing the HP Coolant/ Water Wetter/ Distilled Water change about 10 minutes ago. While trying to bleed the air, I guess I let it get too hot w/ the radiator cap off. I was "snapping" the throttle per the manual and shit started flowing over (not much 6 oz. or so). Shut engine off, refilled w/ water. Hope it works. Still feel better than taking it to the rapists (service dept.)

BTW, has anyone noticed the diagram of the siphon hose from the reserve is fucked up. They show siphoning the radiator, not the reserve tank. For people like me who have to follow directions to a tee it pisses me off. :mad:

Now on to the oil change... :grin:

Lance