CBR1100XX.org Forum

What makes the bird shift so smooth?

ActionStarCBRxx

This last weekend I went to see a buddy of mine in Graham (about a 90 minute ride from the house) I took the bird so he could work some welding magic on the subframe and front end. As I was riding, I was amazed at how nice this bike shifts. I have had two Yamahas (FJ1200 and YZF600) and I have the VFR800 and the blackbird. Hands down without a question the black bird shifts the best out of all of them. Every time, every shift... always.

What components make this bike so solid in the shifting? I would like to carry some of this over to the VFR. I swear everytime I rid this thing after time off, I fall back in love with it!!

Your input would be much appreciated.

My bird has quite row shifts even though it doesn't miss, it is only the upper gears that doesn't clonk. The Suzuki shift like silk in comparison.

Yesterday I tried a friends old CBR 1000 F -89 that shifted smoothly like cutting butter. My previous CBR 1000 F -92 was also hard to shiftand could even miss if one was not firm enough. So, what is going on, some birds and canes shifts nicely while others shift like hondas are known for; noisy and ruff.

The heavier the Oil you run in it, the smoother the shift.

I've run 5W-30... and thought it was clunky and hard.

And I've run 20W=50 in it, and found it was very smooth and possitive.

Fine, I'll use a 50 oil next time. As it is now the upside of the gear foot even get some pain after long trips with lot of shiftings. That is the only uncomfort issue for me, except for the cops with radar :-(

For me 1st to second is kinda chunky and 2nd to third isn't too bad. Beyond that it's pretty smooth though. I guess teh 1st to 2nd has a relatively long throw from most other bikes I can think of, but it's been a while since I've ridden anything else so I guess my comparisons aren't all that great at the moment.

Bun

Never ridden any bike except Yamaha and Honda. Based on the two I owned FJ1200 (1993) and a YZF600R (2006) and the Hondas... I would take the Honda any day of the week and twice on Sunday for cruising!

Regarding oil... I think both Honda's are running the 20W-50. I know the bird is, I dont recall on the VFR.

I like that it takes so little clutch pull to engage/shift the Honda's. I didn't know if the gears may have been back cut or any other majic on the blackbird. Hate to think its just oil!

For me 1st to second is kinda chunky and 2nd to third isn't too bad. Beyond that it's pretty smooth though. I guess teh 1st to 2nd has a relatively long throw from most other bikes I can think of, but it's been a while since I've ridden anything else so I guess my comparisons aren't all that great at the moment.

Bun

I find the same to be true, compared to other street and dirt bikes that I have owned, I think the Blackbird shifts rather roughly. At first I thought there might be a problem, but have just gotten use to it now. For me, it seems to shift the best when your really accelerating hard.

It's a combination of items. My Honda's have historically been some of the best shifting bikes (I don't even know how mant street bikes I've had...20 +). Oil quality/weight does play an issue as well as rider technique.

I belive Honda just has good tolerances setup in most of their trannies...

Compared to other bikes I have ridden and owned the XX shifts roughly in lower gears, with a pretty serious "clunk" from 1-2. Smooth in many ways I would describe my Blackbird, but not shifting! Try a CRB600F4 sometime...