CBR1100XX.org Forum

Replacing clutch, best place to get parts???

Redbird USA

Looks like I will be replacing my clutch this winter. I will probably stay with stock?

Where is a good place to pick up what I need? Friction plates, flat plates and springs?

All in input is appreciated!!! :icon_thumbsup:

Try the back pages of most American based cycle mags, like Cycle World & Motorcyclist. There's plenty of Honda dealers that will give you a great price on genuine Honda parts shipped to your door. Call 'em all up and write down the different prices.

I believe it needs replacing because the clutch lever is almost all the way out before it ingages. It is not slipping yet. Just in my past experience when the bike doesn't start rolling until clutch lever is almost all the way out, it is usually the clutch is almost gone.

I have also had it on the drag strip twice in the last 6-7 weeks and made about 15-20 launches on the back roads before I went the last time. Just by doing that I can tell it has to be further out to start moving. Fanning the clutch eats them up, I was working on my 60' times.

Let me know if I am incorrect in my thinking. Most of you guys know a lot more than I do on this situation. The bike is a stock 01, has 12,500 miles on it, it had 9500 when I bought it this time last year. Which it seemed like I had to go a ways with the clutch lever before rolling when I got it. I am pretty sure it was not raced before I bought it and I am satisfied with what I got out of it at the strip. Therefore, I am done on the strip.

The Russell Long Day seat went back on and the Heli's and I am ready for some longer rides. :icon_thumbsup:

Oh, I had heard before that there is no clutch adjustment on the BB's. Is this totally correct? :icon_doh:

Oh, I had heard before that there is no clutch adjustment on the BB's. Is this totally correct? :icon_doh:

Yes, that is correct. There is an adjustment on the lever that controls how far the lever is from the bar but that doesn't adjust the engagement point.

Your clutch is hydrolic, so no adjusting. But the fluid does need to be changed every so often.

I use a turkey baster to suck out the old fluid, then fill with fresh and bleed just like brakes. When you see clean fluid coming out at the bleeder you done.

hondaparts-direct.com

They have free shipping over $200 right now. I just ordered some stuff from them, haven't received it yet. They have an awesome fiche of the bird online.

Two nights at the track didn't hurt it. My sons race every weekend (sometimes twice a week). When they had their CBR 600 F4i's they would leave the line with the throttle on the stop (sometimes hitting the rpm limiter) while sliding the clutch out of the hole. They went two years before putting a clutch in. And oh, the one had NOS on it.

Like said, the first thing that I would do is change the fluid.

Two nights at the track didn't hurt it. My sons race every weekend (sometimes twice a week). When they had their CBR 600 F4i's they would leave the line with the throttle on the stop (sometimes hitting the rpm limiter) while sliding the clutch out of the hole. They went two years before putting a clutch in. And oh, the one had NOS on it.

Like said, the first thing that I would do is change the fluid.

I had fluid change last September when I purchased the bike by a dealer that put two tires on for me, I didn't think it was that but wanted more clutch. My father-in-law who is a car mechanic suggested that. It did not change then. Any other ideas that it could be.

The two track nights(only seven runs) I didn't think would have hurt it that bad either. But, after the 20 or so launches on back roads with no spinning, just fanning the clutch, then the track runs have definately pushed the lever out further before engaging?

It is not slipping yet.

Myself, I would wait until it did start to slip but that is just me. I think you would notice it on a long high gear uphill pull. That is what happened to me on other bikes in the past.

+1

I just did 14+ passes at the strip Saturday night on my 2001 and did 33 passes last september on the 1/8 mile strip at NEXXT in Pennsylvania !! I long way from home. I have 46,000 miles on the original clutch and looking forward to another 20 passes at NEXXT in Pennsylvania in three weeks !! Yes I live in South Florida.

Leave the clutch plates alone untill they start to slip as said.

Try burping the clutch fluid lines, Bleed off air.

+2. don't change till it starts slipping.

I've done some 20 passes at the drag strip, am at 80K miles, still perfect original clutch.

Go climb a mountain at full throttle in 3rd gear till red line. If no slipping clutch is fine.

If you notice engagement point changes, clean the chain gunk off the rod at the front sprocket and change/bleed your fluid.

It is possible to trap small air pockets and have it work ok but not good.

When they changed the fluid for you, they may have trapped some air.

I would bleed the clutch and if that doesn't solve the problem, pull the clutch slave and check the push rod for gunk/problems.

Well you guys have convinced me to leave it alone for a while anyway. Thanks for all the input.

It is not slipping at all even in high gear at about 3K rpm and nailing it. I just hate the feeling of it going so far out to engage. I guess I will just get use to it.

Plus I already have to put one in the 85 Virago this winter, it is slipping and it's actually hard to leave from a stop at times without giving it too much throttle!!!

Thanks again for all the input!!! :icon_thumbsup: