CBR1100XX.org Forum

Pre BIG TRIP maintenance:

bpg

dammit, there was a really good thread on this a while back that I can't locate, so I'm just gonna pretend I'm a newb and can't read "S-E-A-R-C-H", ok?

Just wanted to get some feedback on maintenance issues that might arise on a cross-country trip of about 7K+ miles. Heading to the dealer to pick up a new air filter soon, may as well pile on anything additional while I'm there.

Anyway, bike's an '02, had it for a little over a year and put 20,000 relatively trouble free miles on it so far. One CCT (that needs replaced AGAIN) and one battery.

Bike is now up to nearly 40K, and the following maintenance is or will be done before the trip. What'd I miss?

Done/planned:

- oil/filter change

- new plugs

- new air filter

- new tires

- new brake pads

- newer chain/sprockets

- newer battery

Stuff that's still original: (or, stuff that I'm procrastinating on...) :icon_whistle:

- wheel bearings (SEEM fine)

- Steering stem bearings (SEEMS fine)

- charging components (This is my biggest concern after reading lots of stranded stories - I run heated grips & jacket, obviously only occasionally in summer but who knows how cold the mountains will be...)

So: - Stator

- Regulator/rectifier

- Oh yeah, the damn CCT (can a rattling one be "fixed" or is that only possible on a brand new one?)

And, anything else I'm missing? Is it worth it to buy/carry a spare R/R and stator for this year/mileage XX?

thx!

Radar detector, cell phone, credit card and you're covered.

You forgot camera...so's you can take lots of pics...

Sounds like the major stuff is done, at least the things I'd worry about. If you're worried about the reg/rec and stator, carry spares, they are small enough not to take up too much luggage room, and make sure you have the tools necessary to change them out. Other than that, sounds like you're good to go. Enjoy!

Jeezus Christ, you fuckin' amateurs. Don't forget the rubber chicken, tube of food-grade grease, and your towel. Don't forget to bring a towel.

Don't Panic.... A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta…wet it for use in hand-to-hand combat…wrap it around your head to ward off noxious fumes…any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the Galaxy, rough it … win through, and still know where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.

Chain lube, and a spare bulb or two (particularly the headlight and the hard to find stoplight bulbs), replacement fuses, and a small role of duct tape(aerostich sells a neat tight roll), disposable gloves, handwipes and a small high quality flashlight, won't take up much space in your kit. :icon_thumbsup:

small first aid kit, and tire kit for bikes. You can pick up a co2 inflator or do like some and get a cheap car air compressor and take out the guts so its small and compact. Might have to cut the ends off if its got a lighter plug on it and connect some gator clips to it.

Also carry some extra tools for chain adjustments and crap like that.

Carry lots of water with you, and drink it often to prevent dehydration. Also might look at GNC for some vitamins to take with you if your going to be gone for a while. One the road you will normally stop for quick bites to eat to keep going and lack alot of nutritional stuff.

All good advice. I'll add that whatever maintenance you do, try and put a few hundred miles on the bike locally post maintenance. The side of the road in the middle of nowhere is a crappy place to find out a spark plug or crucial bolt wasn't torqued properly and worked it's way out.

Cool, good stuff (especially the rubber chicken - why didn't I think of that?? :icon_doh: )

My bird carries a 12V compressor and tire plug kit 24/7 (saved my ass already!), and I'll definitely be bringing most of the other non-bike stuff mentioned.

So the charging components on an '02 w/ 40K miles should be good? That was my main concern - never had a problem with them before, but obviously that can change in the damndest of places!

I carry wet paper towels or rag in a zip-lok bag for wiping off my visor when it gets covered with bugs. A dry microfiber rag for drying. I also carry an air gauge.

And the charger for my cell phone.

I have not put all the miles some of you have on the XX, but other than losing a fairing bolt ( I had the side panel off when I changed the oil and evidently didn't tighten one of the bolts :icon_redface: )

I've never had an issue, not so much as a burn't out bulb.

Oh, wait!!! Once, while heading to MIXXT the band that holds the tool kit down broke.

All good advice. I'll add that whatever maintenance you do, try and put a few hundred miles on the bike locally post maintenance. The side of the road in the middle of nowhere is a crappy place to find out a spark plug or crucial bolt wasn't torqued properly and worked it's way out.

+1

The reason I said radar detector was not just for keeping your money in your pocket, but because two of the more better ones have built in voltage meters.

A cheap, small voltmeter is a handy tool as well...if not that, then a probe with a bulb in the handle that you can prove current with.

Remember that your bike is a source of extra bolts...just shift them around for temporary. Zipties are a good thing, as well as a pointed knife or even a sharper screwdriver...you can heat it with a lighter to make a hole in plastic so that you can get a ziptie through it. If you're in that situation, don't try to punch through the plastic...usually it just cracks and makes a bad thing worse.

Radar detector, cell phone, credit card and you're covered.

+1 Just add Joe's number to your Cell phone, if you get stranded, he's either an awesome source of info, or even better at finding parts for stranded board members... :icon_whistle:

Most everything else has been covered. DO turn your cell phone off when you're not using it, it won't use it's charge up trying to be on roam the whole time.

Jeezus Christ, you fuckin' amateurs. Don't forget the rubber chicken, tube of food-grade grease, and your towel. Don't forget to bring a towel.

Hmmmm... I was gonna suggest some astroglide, not sure if the food grade grease is for the same purpose? You know, lubricate your axle or is that assle?

That's the thing about food-grade grease; works for everything. And if you use it on a road-side sheep, the animal control people can't get you for cruelty since you're just lubing your food. Works for wheel bearings or whatever.

If you're gonna be camping AND you have a cell phone, you might think about rigging a heavy duty power adapter somewhere so you can charge it while you are riding. A Radio Shack power inverter can be olugged into that so you can recharge your electric razor.

I saw this stuff at Honda Hoot yesterday, and it looks like the shit to keep around:

http://www.rescuetape.com/?gclid=CNjj19yw74wCFRUHWAodA0I6Dw

Brett says you can purchase BLACK duct tape at appliance parts stores...very cool.

Good traveling! You should post your itenerary & see if any members will allow you to crash at their joint.

A Radio Shack power inverter can be olugged into that so you can recharge your electric razor.

Who the fuck shaves in the middle of a ride? What kind of happy-ass pussy bullshit is that?

A Radio Shack power inverter can be olugged into that so you can recharge your electric razor.

Who the fuck shaves in the middle of a ride? What kind of happy-ass pussy bullshit is that?

Gotta keep the balls nice and smooth.