CBR1100XX.org Forum

Crazy tire changing idea/question

silverbird1100

Say you were on a serious budget and were picky about your tires and were on a month long tour. You'd need a rear tire at some point and wanted to ship a new one (and tools) to one of your motels along the way. Would a typical gas station air pump blow hard enough to seat the bead? I would guess that they (gas stations) might protect themselves by keeping the air force down to prevent soccer moms from overinflating and blowing a tire up in thier face.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Every gas station air hose I've used has had more than enough air pressure to seat a tire.

If the outside air didn't have enough PSI I can't see any gas station with a garage not filling the tire inside where they do tire changes. May cost a few $ but I can't see why they wouldn't.

Why not just save some of the hassle and install the new tire now.

You can always put on the one you are currently running after you wear the new one out...

But to answer your question, you will have no problem seating a bead with a gas station air compressor.

Why not just save some of the hassle and install the new tire now.

You can always put on the one you are currently running after you wear the new one out...

Well if he's like me and puts allot of miles on, a month long road trip will eat any tire.

I'm putting a new tire on before I leave for my road trip and shipping another new one to my parents place as I know I'll have 8000+Km before I get there on the tire. Defiantly won't be shot at the point but won't have another 8-10000KM left on it...

Well if he's like me and puts allot of miles on, a month long road trip will eat any tire.

I'm putting a new tire on before I leave for my road trip and shipping another new one to my parents place as I know I'll have 8000+Km before I get there on the tire. Defiantly won't be shot at the point but won't have another 8-10000KM left on it...

Then install an Avon 46 rear. I put 9k miles on mine when I went to Reno 2 years ago, and still had another 1-2K left in it when I pulled it off on the way home.

What does the NAPA bead sealer do? Also I didn't know about the valve core trick, thanks!

I'm looking at more than 6000 miles and don't want to go over 5000 on a tire. My main thing is I hate having a flat spot and the bike won't turn for shit, plus punctures, piece of mind etc etc.

I'd rather this not turn into a "best tire" thread but some people just don't get same milage out of the same tire. PA Pete killed a Avon in 4500 or something like that.

What does the NAPA bead sealer do?

225104.jpg

It's like rubber cement. You apply it to the inside of the rim, where the tire bead will sit. When first applied, it's a slimy liquid, which acts as lubricant to help the bead slide into place. Also it slows pesky air leaks as the bead is trying to seat. After about 10 minutes or so the bead sealer dries up and becomes a rubber coating between the bead and the rim, which helps prevent air leaks in that area.

225104.jpg

It's like rubber cement. You apply it to the inside of the rim, where the tire bead will sit. When first applied, it's a slimy liquid, which acts as lubricant to help the bead slide into place. Also it slows pesky air leaks as the bead is trying to seat. After about 10 minutes or so the bead sealer dries up and becomes a rubber coating between the bead and the rim, which helps prevent air leaks in that area.

Sweet, I'll get some for sure

Say you were on a serious budget and were picky about your tires and were on a month long tour. You'd need a rear tire at some point and wanted to ship a new one (and tools) to one of your motels along the way. Would a typical gas station air pump blow hard enough to seat the bead? I would guess that they (gas stations) might protect themselves by keeping the air force down to prevent soccer moms from overinflating and blowing a tire up in thier face.

About 19 of 20 times it will work,just ask birdiexx,,,, :icon_twisted::icon_twisted:

Then install an Avon 46 rear. I put 9k miles on mine when I went to Reno 2 years ago, and still had another 1-2K left in it when I pulled it off on the way home.

May help him but won't help me any... I'll have at least 12,000Miles on the bike when I get home. I run the Avon 46 rear but no way I'd trust it that long.

When I get to NS I'll swap out the tires to get rid of the flat stop so I can go play on the twisties...

May help him but won't help me any... I'll have at least 12,000Miles on the bike when I get home. I run the Avon 46 rear but no way I'd trust it that long.

When I get to NS I'll swap out the tires to get rid of the flat stop so I can go play on the twisties...

Where abouts in NS?

I'm planning on hitting the Cabot Trail next month... :icon_evilgrin:

Depending on the air chuck design on the compressor it wont release air without a valve core in place.

With all the bike tires I've done myself I've never had a problem airing a tire up and bead sealing with the valve core in place.

I detect no leakage right up to when the bead pops on the rim.

Now a lawn tractor tire is a different story.

For a back up bring a ratchet strap to wrap around the circumference of the tire, this always works.

Where abouts in NS?

I'm planning on hitting the Cabot Trail next month... :icon_evilgrin:

I grew up 60-70km from the start of the Cabot Trail, of course I'll be doing a few loops around it. There are some other fun roads in the area too. PM me if you want some input... Make sure you take Route 19 North from Port Hawksberry to get to the Cabot Trail.. :icon_evilgrin:

I grew up 60-70km from the start of the Cabot Trail, of course I'll be doing a few loops around it. There are some other fun roads in the area too. PM me if you want some input... Make sure you take Route 19 North from Port Hawksberry to get to the Cabot Trail.. :icon_evilgrin:

Sweet.

I'm there for a wedding, so on a relatively tight schedule, but I'm sure I could fine at least one day to burn.

We'll talk. :icon_smile:

So is the Avon 46 THE rear tire for exxtended touring on the Bird?

I'm somewhat seriously planning a jaunt across this great nation & back this summer - not confident that my favorite "compromise" rear tire, a Metz Z-6, could handle the length of the trip... PLus, when Z6's start getting low on tread, they go FAST...

I even thought about using a Metz ME880 rear - worked great on my Magna, could carve twisties and get a shade over 10K miles on a rear, albeit under a lot less HP..

So is the Avon 46 THE rear tire for exxtended touring on the Bird?

I'm somewhat seriously planning a jaunt across this great nation & back this summer - not confident that my favorite "compromise" rear tire, a Metz Z-6, could handle the length of the trip... PLus, when Z6's start getting low on tread, they go FAST...

I even thought about using a Metz ME880 rear - worked great on my Magna, could carve twisties and get a shade over 10K miles on a rear, albeit under a lot less HP..

I like the Avon's, I find they stick good enough for me and they last a long time... I've probably got 11-12,000 miles on my front I replaced the rear due to a flat it's probably got 5,000 mile on it now. It's about time to replace the front now, I can probably get 3000 more miles on the rear. I'll replace both tires before I leave on a trip for piece of mind as I know the rear won't do another 5000miles...

• 11 months later...

Good discussion here regarding sealing the bead when installing tyres.

I have stopped off in Thailand on my way home to buy a pair of 2CT 's. Once home i took my bikedown to a local car tire shop , I took the front wheel off , let them take off the old tyre , caught them putting the tire on the wrong way , all was good until i watched them "pop" the tire .,,, I stopped them and checked the gauge ,,,, 100psi ,,, god knows what they would have taken it to if I hadn't stopped them !!!

Now , am i being pedantic for wanting to pick up a breaker bar and smash these guys over the head with it !!

I dragged the boss out of the office (he speaks english) and tore him a new waste orifice.

Brand new tyre that i had to get from another country ,, carried all the way home and then this.

I dont know what pressure there supposed to have maximum , however everything else i deal with in life doesnt have that much tolerance ,, therefore the new tyre is back off the bike and the old one put back on until i can stop off and get another one.

My fault really

If you plan your trip right, maybe one of our great members could lone you his tools and garage so you don't have to do it at a motel. If you're coming through Wichita, KS, I can make some room in the garage for you. Hell, I might even help. :icon_wink:

Good discussion here regarding sealing the bead when installing tyres.

I have stopped off in Thailand on my way home to buy a pair of 2CT 's. Once home i took my bikedown to a local car tire shop , I took the front wheel off , let them take off the old tyre , caught them putting the tire on the wrong way , all was good until i watched them "pop" the tire .,,, I stopped them and checked the gauge ,,,, 100psi ,,, god knows what they would have taken it to if I hadn't stopped them !!!

Now , am i being pedantic for wanting to pick up a breaker bar and smash these guys over the head with it !!

I dragged the boss out of the office (he speaks english) and tore him a new waste orifice.

Brand new tyre that i had to get from another country ,, carried all the way home and then this.

I dont know what pressure there supposed to have maximum , however everything else i deal with in life doesnt have that much tolerance ,, therefore the new tyre is back off the bike and the old one put back on until i can stop off and get another one.

My fault really

Why would you not use the new tire if was not visually cracked? Though 100psi would be way to high to operate with, it shouldn't damage the tire just quickly inflating it and then releasing the pressure as you did. The problem is when riding we hit things like potholes, railroad tracks and other things that REALLY stress the tire----but just pumping it up is an even pressure increase and since it didn't pop or cause any visible cracks (they will look like cuts usually in the root corners of the tread) you should be good.

You might send an email to the tire manufacturer for an opinion---though I realize they have a vested interest.

Personally, I would run it as I feel a tire inflated to 42psi hitting a quick surface change at 70mph (like the railroad crossing I mentioned) is a lot, lot more stress on a tire that evenly applied over inflation that is relieved before it ever touches the ground.

Wishing you many happy trails kel

225104.jpg

+1

That stuff is the shit!!

Try finding someone on this board that has the tools. We would be happy to lend you a garage for a few hours then you only have to ship tires. Also, you can ship them sooner and not have to worry about it getting there too soon or too late and if you mail order you never even have anything pay to ship.

A garage, stands, tools, no shipping cost, easy.