CBR1100XX.org Forum

GAS MILEAGE

DBLXXTC

What the F#@k!!!!

The last time I filled up, my trip meter read 120 miles traveled when my light started to blink... I am begining to think that the posted MPG is just an illusion that exists in someone sick mind (a black bird utopia if you will). Does anyone do better than this....If so, HOW?

How many miles do you have on your bike?

I made an interesting discovery the other day...I commute on my '02, going 142 mi/day and was pulling into my driveway with the last bar blinking. After about 2500 mi., I was getting 165 mi/tank...last week, the clock ticked over to 4K miles, and I swear that between one day and the next, I went from 165 mi/tank to well over 200. :grin: I haven't filled it completely and the mileage has been consistent over a week of riding. I get home with between 1/3 and 1/2 tank remaining!! The first time this happened, I thought that the fuel guage had gone south, so was keeping good track of the mileage on the odometer...it was confirmed correct the next day when I filled up for $9 instead of the usual $13 for Super! :shock:

Anyone else have a similar experience? Our brethren across the pond report that this is fairly typical.

Jim

I've seen mileage as low as 22mpg, and as high as 43mpg, depending on how you ride.

My bike now has 23k on it, and that 22mpg figure was just a few weeks ago, while 2-up at the NeXXt.

BTW, mileage really goes south as the RPM increases, or when you exceed 100mph.

I normally get about 160 to 220 depending on if I am in the mountains trying to carve roads, or around home cruising along..

once past 100 your fuel is sucked away..

I was chasing a buddie of mine once. He also has a bird. I dropped a few bars within 10 miles and was happy to see a gas station when she started blinking at me. At the rate I was going I would have been out of fuel in 5 miles probably :shock:

Dave

At this point, I'd blame it on the low milage on your motor. My milage was shit (always under 30mpg) until 4-5k, at which point it improved to low to mid 30s, average.

Also keep in mind the low fuel light comes on way early. My '01 typically has at least a gallon and a half left when that thing starts blinking.

The best I've gotten was around 33mpg and that was on the way to the NeXXt. Of course a lot of it was over 100mph.

Around town, I'm in the high revs too often to even care.

At the rate I was going I would have been out of fuel in 5 miles probably

Yeah, but at that speed you can coast about 20 miles. :grin:

I agree with Tim.... the more the motor loosens up, the better your milage will be, and you can go another 30 or more miles on the "reserve".

i bet though my bike has 28k miles on it, my old kinked beaten up stocker chain is killing MY gas mileage :shock:

Hate to mention something like this but... gasoline does evaporate.

If you are on a trip and riding continuously between gas stations, the mileage will be significantly different than if you leave it sitting in the garage all week and just ride on the weekend. Over the course of a couple of weeks, enough gas will disappear from your tank to make you think that your bike's gas mileage is completely in the shitter.

I usually get around 38 to 40mpg. During the past few weeks, I hardly had a chance to ride the XX and it went on reserve at around 140 miles instead of the usual 180. After filling the tank and going for a little 200 mile putt, the mileage went right back to 39 mpg.

• 3 weeks later...

I usually get about 175 to 190 miles per tank. then it's on the red bar and blinking at me, and takes about 5 gallons or so.

However, recently I was getting 150, then 140, and I thought.. Ya know, I haven't checked my tire pressures in like.. forever :oops: . The front was down to 30psi. Filling it back up to 42, and Whammo, I'm getting 175 to 190 again.

Just something to keep in mind.

And.. I get increasing fuel mileage (albeit slightly) later in the oil change. But then, I change it once every 3 k or so.

• 4 weeks later...