CBR1100XX.org Forum

fuel filter

rodantking

I went to order a fuel filter today and got a quote of $65. My first thought was replacing it with a different one, but when I got home and tried to find it, it sent me to the manual. What was Honda thinking? This looks like a sever pain in the ass to change. They don’t list a replacement schedule for it. I sure it is fine and quickly deciding that it will not get changed this year, but was wondering what everyone else’s thoughts on it were. How long before replacing them and do I stay stock. That is something I can not tell if it is interchangeable until it is out.

It's funny this post came up. I was just painting my backup body set this weekend and had to transfer the pump over to the new tank. It's a straight fuel filter, nothing special, made out of metal, but just STUPID expensive. There are no markings on it of any relevance, and I checked around (while this board was down) and only found one thread on the VFR board that had the same part number as the 99-up bike takes. They seem to have been sporadically updating the thread for like a year and nobody has been able to cross it over to any aftermarket part number. I don't know of any reason why you shouldn't be able to use any other EFI, in-tank capable fuel filter to replace it. My bike is about to turn 40,000 miles, and I haven't had any problems yet, so I guess I won't worry about it right now. You'd think somebody would have run into this problem by now, but I can't find anything about it. I do know that I will not be buying the Honda one for this one, as there is no way I would spend that much on a fuel filter!! This ain't Mercedes or Lamborghini!!!!

I have a 99 VFR (Fuel Injected) and changed my FF @ 130,000 miles just because I felt guilty. As stated, there is no scheduled maintenace interval, just a minimum fuel flow test.

The old filter was not contaminated at all. Probably could have left it in there.

I'm sure Honda didn't design a special FF just for thier injection systems. I'm sure it from some application in thier auto line also.

Just have to do the research.

"princable of the matter" shit if we went by this we would be rideing on AIR and not tires. LOL

we wouldn't give $150.00 each for a tire for our car and it only last 5,000 miles

Pretty succintly stated, Ron.....

good to see ya back, brother!

Changing the fuel filter is always a good idea

not hard to do, pull the pump out of the tank,

easier to with tank off and dont forget to replace

gasket that seals the pump into the tank ..

And yes the filter is dam expencive. .

mine has a hook in the top ..

I'll argue than one with you... as I'm more inclined to believe it does not need to be done, except for under some extreme cercimstance of foul neglect, or by some extreme misfortune at a very old service station.

And I'll add... the first part of that Foul neglect is if the owner of such a vehicle continues to leave his unit parked or in storage without a full tank of petrolium. This leads to a void of space that has been replaced be atmospheric particles so of which are Hydrogen and some Oxygene. Said particle then collect and connect to the inner bare metal walls and can form IronOxide particles.

Am I makeing sence so far.......

Or if some sorry sap pulled into an old station and proceeded to fill Ones vehicle, useing a pump that has had the inline filter punched out due toe cost saveing measures, while said tanker was stirring up all of the shit.

Or.... Maybe if said vehicle was tamperd with....... vandalism.

But other than that No.

Regardless of how careful you are, how well you treat the bike, storing it with a full tank, whatever, it's GOING to get stuff in the tank and it's GOING to have to have the filter replaced eventually.

No matter how new the station, there will always be trash in those tanks. The tanks are open when they are filled, which means dust, sand, and whatever else is in the air goes in every time it's opened. The older they get, the less sealed they are, so that allows water into the in-ground tanks. Fuel filling pumps wear out, and those old rotten hoses AFTER the fuel filter have to spit those little rubber pieces somewhere. Then, your tank is open when you fill it up. Every time, little particles getting in there. Humidity changes, temperature changes, all these things cause internal sweating with water getting in the fuel and little particles of who knows what in your gas. The fuel filter is the last thing between your motor and what's in that fuel, so eventually you will see decreased performance. Less flow means the pump works harder, which means eventually either fuel flow will decrease so much as to noticeable lack of power or the pump just quits due to being overworked. I've seen never replaced fuel filters pour perfectly clean gas out of either end, and I've seen some with 10k miles on them that looked like oily mud was pouring out of it. Yes, it does need to be replaced.

The problem is that a) it's a bit of a pain to replace, and B) the part is incredibly expensive. If we can eliminate the b part, then it makes the a part easier to endure. It's those double whammies that make people disregard it.

Since the Honda Service Manual does not include the fuel filter in the maintenance schedule, I doubt I will ever worry about it unless I am have problems that could be fuel system related, or I have the tank apart for some other reason.

• 2 months later...

I'll argue than one with you... as I'm more inclined to believe it does not need to be done, except for under some extreme cercimstance of foul neglect, or by some extreme misfortune at a very old service station.

And I'll add... the first part of that Foul neglect is if the owner of such a vehicle continues to leave his unit parked or in storage without a full tank of petrolium. This leads to a void of space that has been replaced be atmospheric particles so of which are Hydrogen and some Oxygene. Said particle then collect and connect to the inner bare metal walls and can form IronOxide particles.

Am I makeing sence so far.......

Or if some sorry sap pulled into an old station and proceeded to fill Ones vehicle, useing a pump that has had the inline filter punched out due toe cost saveing measures, while said tanker was stirring up all of the shit.

Or.... Maybe if said vehicle was tamperd with....... vandalism.

But other than that No.

which is EXACTLY what happened to me. I pulled apart my fuel system to find debris and mud-looking gas in my filter and regulator. Kind of a dumb idea, but I went to the local car part store and browsed through all the inline filters and found one identical to the on in the bird and it was like $14. Just got through riding about 140 miles...really hard might i add, and it works fine so far! But I'm still waiting on OEM stuff though!

I don't know if I'd call us uber cheapo, I'd say more like "not gonna pay Honda's jacked up parts prices for the exact same filter they use with the exception of the brand name painted on the side". It's kinda like why pay $6,7,8 a quart for GN4 when you could use Mobil 1 or Rotella which are both better for half the price? Or why use a Honda filter when the Purolator Pure One is the best you can get for 1/3 less money?

I threw the box away and the actual filter is unlabeled as was the old one. I will go there tomorrow and ask the clerk which one it was, and then post it.

BTW, Honda uses that same filter in a lot of different applications, i.e. lawn/construction equipment, trucks, generators, etc. but it subcontracts other companies to make it as well, therfore no honda name, no honda price! :icon_evilgrin:

now, if i can only find a fuel pressure regulator in the next 3 days....not a lot of those hanging around. anybody have any ideas?

I don't know if I'd call us uber cheapo, I'd say more like "not gonna pay Honda's jacked up parts prices for the exact same filter they use with the exception of the brand name painted on the side". It's kinda like why pay $6,7,8 a quart for GN4 when you could use Mobil 1 or Rotella which are both better for half the price? Or why use a Honda filter when the Purolator Pure One is the best you can get for 1/3 less money?

And that purolator pure one #would be what again? :icon_whistle:

oh my bad i posted without seeing above reply.

But i do have the numbers for both: there are two to choose from, but i use # PL14612 because it's 1 1/2 inches long and fits 99 and up just right. # PL14610 but its 2 1/2 inches long and is some work to get on,not sure it will even fit the 99 and up,i gave up. maybe 96-98 because of the different header pipe.

I use the long oil filter on my 99, but I have a full exhaust system so it gives me more room than the stock manifold had. It's tight, but I got it on just fine, and I don't remove any plastics.

But back on subject, I'm definitely interested in hearing about this fuel filter. The next time I get a chance I'll change mine out just for maintenance's sake.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Good thread ,,

2 days ago , I ran the bike out of fuel ,, rolled into a servo luckily ,, seems i got some crap into the fuel system , was hoping thats all it was rather than the myriad of potential electrical issues.

Took the pump out of the tank and as I cannot just go and buy a new filter i decided to flush this one out.

started with blowing thru it with my mouth ,, seemed restricted , so got out a compressor and blew backwards thru it and did the fuel delivery line as well .

On putting it to my mouth and blowing again , noticed a big difference . Fitted it all back up , but not before removing the air filter and giving it the petrol ,toothbrush and air compressor overhaul.

Just got back from taking it for a blast , xpecting it to die in the arse again but no ,, went great.

in fact , I have never known this bike to be so quick ,,, I was amazed .

One thing i did notice though that concerned me a little , and i wonder if others have noticed the same , on pulling out the pump , and looking into the housing recess , there is a lot of swarf in there ,,, looks the same as from the housing being drilled.

I left it alone ,,, imagine if honda didn't want it there it wouldn't be there ,, heres where i am thinking i should have taken a piccy ,,, hmmm , will i pull the pump again ,,,,,,,, no , me thinks not.

Hapy trails taxdodgers and trendsetters

It's funny this post came up. I was just painting my backup body set this weekend and had to transfer the pump over to the new tank. It's a straight fuel filter, nothing special, made out of metal, but just STUPID expensive. There are no markings on it of any relevance, and I checked around (while this board was down) and only found one thread on the VFR board that had the same part number as the 99-up bike takes. They seem to have been sporadically updating the thread for like a year and nobody has been able to cross it over to any aftermarket part number. I don't know of any reason why you shouldn't be able to use any other EFI, in-tank capable fuel filter to replace it. My bike is about to turn 40,000 miles, and I haven't had any problems yet, so I guess I won't worry about it right now. You'd think somebody would have run into this problem by now, but I can't find anything about it. I do know that I will not be buying the Honda one for this one, as there is no way I would spend that much on a fuel filter!! This ain't Mercedes or Lamborghini!!!!

I ran my 99 VFR for over 120,000 miles without changing the filter. I finally changed it just because I felt guilty.. I founf no significant contaminents and it floed backwards just as easy as forwards..

There is no specified schedule for change but, IIRC there is a flow test to determine a minimum fuel supply.