CBR1100XX.org Forum

Stupid wobble

silverbird1100

who with the wobble also has givis? i've noticed it since i put them on, seems to do with the extra weight behind the rear axle. i'm gonna put a spacer on the top of my shock when i have my tire off for replacement, then we'll find out.

this is of course after i heal up from getting taken out by a car on my dirtbike. :cry:

Wobbles around 45 MPH sometimes just happen. That's all. They are there, it's a matter of physics, no big deal.

They can be made worse by:

Rear weight (bags, passenger)

Loose/bad steering head bearings

Low air pressure

High air pressure

Worn/cupped tire

Misaligned rear axle

Bent forks

Bad fork seals

Low/high fork oil level

Position of the moon

I think the manufacturers' selections of rake and trail dimensions also come into play. It's likely that a bike with no wobble tendencies could be designed, but the downside would be that the steering would feel heavy, ponderous, and slow. What they give us instead is a compromise between stability and manuverability.

Just replaced my stock BT57 with Pilot Sports. No wobble before with 7,700 miles. New tires wobble @ 40-50 MPH.

I thought maybe they did a poor job balancing them, but after reading these posts, I guess they just wobble. Bugs me a little when coming out of turns with light bar pressure going into second gear. Guess I'll just live with it. Maybe some rainy weekend I'll lift the front end and check the bearings and take the rims down and have them check the balance again.

Rainy weekend, here in Seattle wonder when that will happen?

Dano

Oh ya, no Givi's a few low smooth wheelies and I weigh 190. I don't think it's the bearings.

Just replaced my stock BT57 with Pilot Sports. No wobble before with 7,700 miles. New tires wobble @ 40-50 MPH.

I thought maybe they did a poor job balancing them, but after reading these posts, I guess they just wobble.

This is EXACTLY what happened to me.

No wobble on the way to get my tires changed. Put the avons on... Wobble on the way home.