CBR1100XX.org Forum

FI cleaner & 93 octane

seeten1

I recently was reading posts about how it was a waste to buy 93 octane gas, so i decided to put 89 in the bird for the first time saved a whopping 52 cents. after about 100 miles on the tank of gas i heard the first ever pop from the exhaust during downshifting/engine braking ( i was told FI bikes dont backfire). later that day during a downshift with a small blip of the throttle there was a semi loud poof from the airbox i could actually feel it in my legs, almost felt like the gas tank swelled between my legs. Any ideas what is going on/similar experiences. also would like some input on what kind of FI cleaner to use or if it is even needed. '99 with 12k.

Steve

You should not use 89, that is true. You should use 87.

FI bikes can backfire; there is no connection between FI and backfires. It is typically caused by a lean condition, not fuel octane. I'm guessing you have aftermarket pipes and/or air cleaner, but did not remap the fuel curve?

It can also happen if you have unburnt fuel leaving the motor and firing in the exhaust. If your plugs are old, you've got unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

I don't really want to get into this again but remember, the Blackbird has a 11.0 to 1 compression ratio. Cars of the 70's had about 8.0 to1 and now, 9 to 1. Carlos, have you ever tried checking your mileage using 87 and then using 93? I haven't but other have told me that you get get more mpg with the 93.

I checked both mileage and HP on a dyno. No change in either. The mileage is unscientific, since so many variables can change it. I tried it probabably 5 tankfulls.

The compression thing also has other variables. Honda has always been a pioneer of super-efficient head designs which allow higher compression with lower octane. Trivia...know where the "Civic" name for their cars came from in the 70's?

I'd also like to know which, if any, type of injector cleaner to use?

Techron!

The only problem with it is that it does such an incredible job that you'll need to change your oil after using it.

I've used it on my Goldwing for years (120,000+ miles) to keep the carbs and valves clean, and when I last ran it through my XX, the mileage even increased a bit.

You should be using 87 Octane in your XX.

Concerning the octain, why don't you come up here to 9,000+ feet and try that 87 junk! Sure it dosen't ping or nock but your HP goes to sh--!

I'll have to try that techron, currently I use BG products, thanks for the info.

I have read the old posts about octane and didn't mean to stir that up. I was really wondering about the pop from the airbox, it has never happened before on any bike i have owned. Running 93 I get a very consistent 170 miles on the fuel light. 5Gal 34MPG. On the 89 I got the same mileage and besides the two pops the bike ran amazing like it always does. Not sure about the air cleaner, it has Micron 4-1 and a PCII with god knows what kind of map. I would apreciate any kind of help and or links to on how to map the PCII. I could easily run a cable from my PC out the window to the bike, but i have no idea about the cable type, and the software i need. I got the bike in May and have done nothing but tires, oil and gas. I wanted to wait untill the winter months to do the other things i need to do (because I hate to give up riding time). After the pop from the intake and exhaust in the same day I decided it was time for a tune up. Changing the plugs(CR9EHIX-9), air filter(OEM) and CCT(OEM) this weekend all for the first time, and thanks to all for the DIY threads. Thought about FI cleaner and was curious to see if anybody even uses it.

Thanks

Steve

The PCII has ignition advance capabilities, also, and you can get maps that require the use of 93 octane.

It's possible that somebody loaded such a map into your PCII, and you should use the 93 until you know which map is in there, or install one that doesn't require the use of the high octane, IMHO.

CVCC = Compound Vortex Controlled Combustion, though I've also read it as Centrifugal Vortex Controlled Combustion.

Sure you lose power at altitude. I can't really wheelie above 7k, no matter which gas. Explain how octane could change that.

Your fuel is rated with the RON system, which is the highest octane the fuel will produce.

North American's use the (R+M)/2 system (highest octane + lowest, divided by 2), which gives a more "average" or expected rating.

The 'Bird requires 91 RON, 87 (R+M)/2

Doesn't the higher octane help the engine run cooler?  

Higher Octane fuel has additives that resist pre-ignition by being a slower burning fuel. That's all it does. It doesn't lower engine temperatures, make more horsepower, or raise your mileage. A lot of so-called premimu fuels use alcohol as one of the additives to raise the octane rating. This will actually lower your HP and your mileage. If pre-ignition is not a problem, (and on the BlackBird, it doesn't seem to be), you are just stroking your ego whenever you buy premium fuel.

But, it's your money.