CBR1100XX.org Forum

Maintainance question.....chain wax......

Guest rockmeupto125

Guest rockmeupto125

Those of you who use the Maxima or other chain waxes (if any)....what's your theory?

I use the Honda chain lube because as an oil and slight penetrant, it flushes little dirts out of the sideplate/seal area to prevent friction damage to the seals, lubricates those exposed areas that don't carry grease, and flushes water away from chain surfaces that can rust.

It would seem that chain wax would coat, and seal those areas, but what about the dirt and water that's already on the chain......wouldn't it seal that in, as well, to continue to do damage?

Or do you scrub the chain first, or apply a wash of penetrant lube?

trolling for your thoughts........and no, I don't want another argument thread....

I just switched back to Maxima chain wax from Honda HP lube. I noticed my rollers were makeing a noise when I took off from a stop. Upon inspection I found the rollers were rusting inside! Also they are shortening in length. I saturated the chain with wd-40 and cleaned it. Something I don't normally do.

I still had Maxima chain wax so I shot it with that. The chain now is quiet and no rust anymore.

The chain now has 20k miles on it and there isn't much stretch yet but I was worried I had to replace it for the rollers.

My theory now is the HP lube is too thin and wears out/off too quickly.

I would have to say that any chain lube that stays in a liquid or semi-liquid state is not going to stay on the chain surfaces or in the links as well as something that solidifies to a degree. With that said I and asuming you perform all pre-lube operations..... wax.

I don't clean the chain. Not aggressively, at least, like with a brush and solvent. After every ride of sufficient length (usually one or more tanks of gas-I find this more convenient to track than mileage), I park the bike on the centerstand and saturate the chain with Honda or Maxima lube, or even the 90wt gear oil the manual recommends, just whatever I happen to have on hand. Whatever dross is flushed off the chain I wipe up. I believe a regular lubrication interval is more important than the actual lubricant itself, a more frequent interval for inclement weather.

Been using Maxima Chain Wax for 10 years and 165,000 miles. I absolutely NEVER clean the chain. I spray the wax on it using a carefully calculated interval (IE, when it starts to get noisy I make a note to spray it on next time I stop). I wheelie the bike nearly every time I ride it. I'm getting 17-21k on my chains before they hit the "replace" marks.

RCA29 has a good link, basically pre-lube consists of warming the chain, this can only be done by riding the bike for at least five to ten minutes, afterwards the chain should feel warm to the touch. Then clean the chain if necessary, if you see a heavy biuld-up of a black oily film, this is dirt trapped in the oil and it acts like sandpaper on your chain, I drive on dirt roads often so I clean my chain once a week. To clean the chain I use WD-40, spaying it on the chain until it's running off and then wipe off the excess with a rag, then I run the bike on the senterstand to fling off any excess WD-40 (you don't want the WD-40 thinning out your wax), stop the wheel, wipe it down once more with a rag, and apply the wax, then let it your bike sit for ten minutes. Reapply the wax every 2-5 hundred miles or every time you stop for gas. Depending on your riding style your chain should last in between 20 - 80 thousand miles.

The chain wax has as much solvent effect as other lubes when applied, IMO. It's really thin when you apply it, and "rinses" the chain just like the others, it just sets up firmer (that's why they tell you to give it 10-15 minutes before riding, I believe).

I apply my chain wax at least once a week, or every 3-500 miles.

I always apply it when I get home, in the garage, and let it setup overnight. If I let the chain go too long, and it's really noisy, then I'll wax it two nights in a row.

Usually loosens up plenty, and quiets the chain.

I have 22k on the stock chain now, just shy of the red, and I abuse the shit out of it. I ride a lot of 2-up, and wheelie every chance I get. I'll replace the chain this winter, with approx. 25k on it.

BTW, I've also had the chain "rust" on me 3-4 times from not lubing it, and I've never cleaned it except for wiping the sideplates off once........ :oops: