CBR1100XX.org Forum

Mileage question

feelergaugephil

Just a brief question, I bought my 02 XX with 17K and then got the Honda dealer to do the main service, ie, spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter.....

I'm now at 27k, and most likely take it in for another service around 30k.

I change my oil (honda oil) every 1200-1500 miles.....

Now, one of the honda mechanics advised me to sell my XX on before I get to about 35k because at that mileage I am looking at valve work and other things....

This has got me worried, as I DONT want to sell my pride and joy..

I had a GS1000 years ago (and got one now too) that did well over 100K with only a set of piston rings thrown in.

So, what sort of mileage am I looking at for major work on the engine? this engine is very, very quiet and runs perfect.

I've even thought about buying another engine ready to switch out when something happens..

Any advise guys?????? Phil.

Just a brief question, I bought my 02 XX with 17K and then got the Honda dealer to do the main service, ie, spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter.....

Now, one of the honda mechanics advised me to sell my XX on before I get to about 35k because at that mileage I am looking at valve work and other things....

I had a GS1000 years ago (and got one now too) that did well over 100K with only a set of piston rings thrown in.

So, what sort of mileage am I looking at for major work on the engine? this engine is very, very quiet and runs perfect.

I've even thought about buying another engine ready to switch out when something happens..

I'm sure others will chime in, but I would say "get another mechanic". I really don't expect any major service issues on my 97 (16K miles) for many, many years.

ummm 96K and counting..in fact I may be closer to 98k but I havent rode my bike in about 2 weeks so I cant recall the exact mileage...issues to date:

Tires

Chains

Regulator/Rectifier

Head Lights

Stator

Front wheel bearings

Oil

Antifreeze/coolant

I bought it with 14K in May 03

Just RIDE IT!!

I'm sure others will chime in, but I would say "get another mechanic". I really don't expect any major service issues on my 97 (16K miles) for many, many years.

Yep, several around here have over 100k miles on their 'birds and have had no problems other than the standard R/R, stator, and CCT stuff...

FWIW, a lot of people MAYBE have a couple valve clearances a hair on the tight side at 50,000 miles...

get another mechanic.

Mike

Get another mechanic.

cripes - at that oil change interval, you'll go WELL beyond 100K! It's a Honda - and a "Honda among Hondas" at that...

:icon_cool:

+5 on getting a new mechanic!!!!!!!!! I have 100,200 kms, '02 since new. A couple of cam chain tensioners, a new stator, a new battery, tires once a year, a couple of chains and sprockets, a valve adjustment once or twice, brake pads twice, fluids twice or so, oil every 6-8000 kms, Amsoil is my preference. The usual power tweeks, luggage, and seat and risers. Ride it, enjoy it, maintain it and like most people on this board, love it.

you will need a new engine at 18,000 miles then a new trans at 19,000 miles. the frame will crack at 20,000

the rims are going to crack any time. I will give you 2,000.00 now while it is worth something. just to help you out.

you will need a new engine at 18,000 miles then a new trans at 19,000 miles. the frame will crack at 20,000

the rims are going to crack any time. I will give you 2,000.00 now while it is worth something. just to help you out.

ARE YOU MY NEW MECHANIC????????????

Ask the mechanic about what kind of bike you should get to replace this peace of shit Honda since they don't sound very reliable! Wait for his answer then ask him to explain his experience with the XX valve train. Then ask him how long he has been a ventriloquist. When he gives you that puzzeled look, just reply "It sounds like your talking out your ass and I better find a real mechanic!"

Unless someone absolutly beats the crap out of the XX, it should last 200,000 miles plus. With normal oil/filter change of course. I have a 99 VFR with 263,000 miles on it and a 97 Vmax with 132,000 miles and both run like new. My newly aquired 99 XX is the "baby" of the bunch with only 43,000.

Unless someone absolutly beats the crap out of the XX, it should last 200,000 miles plus. With normal oil/filter change of course. I have a 99 VFR with 263,000 miles on it and a 97 Vmax with 132,000 miles and both run like new. My newly aquired 99 XX is the "baby" of the bunch with only 43,000.

:icon_shhh: on the 200k, i told the el presidente the XX would be on 'er last legs @50k and have to go into semi-retirement (from commuting) and used for only weekends. I've got clearance on the GTR1400 (unless Honda pulls it head outta it's ass) to be her stablemate and take over the commuting duties. I pointed out the commuter essentials in MN riding conditions such as the adjustable windshield, bigger fairing, panniers, shaft drive, ... :icon_doh: Gawd, I'm Shameless...

I spoke with the Older mechanic at the same place (Honda) he advised that the younger mechanic was speaking out of his ASS, so that just tells me you guys are right.

He actually said he worked on a XX last year with 169K on it and it needed 2 shims!!!!!!!

Maybe I will just stick him in the back of my police car and hit the brakes hard and the metal screen will stop him coming through to the front!!! I never said that!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, All loaded up ready for Deals Gap, the trailer is loaded down with the XX and a SV650.

I will post PICs when I get back, OH! Thanks for all the GREAT responses, I can sleep better at night!!!

Feelergauge,

You must use a cruiser with a plastic window instead of wire mesh.............

It does not leave marks that can be linked back to the cage.

The manuever is most effective if you do a full throttle launch for about 15 feet and then test the ABS.

That way, full weight transfer heightens the effect.

Don't ask me how I know, as the cops that I explained it to are still on the job. It is amazing how many of them have had dogs,cats, drunks step out in front of them while they had some unruly perp in the back.