CBR1100XX.org Forum

How many miles do you get out of your tires?

Aurora

After installing the Wilbers shock (increased ride hight by 15mm), I found that the turn-in on my beloved Avons was *so* fast, the bike actually felt a little twichy in some situations - high winds seemed to move the bike around a lot more, and high-speed stability didn't seem quite so planted.

So I've gone back to the Pilot Roads since they don't have the narrow, triangular profile the Avons do.

With the Avons, I'd be doing good to see 6500-7000 miles out of the rear.

The Pilot Roads are a bit better for me, though not a whole lot: I average about 7500-8000 miles out of the rear.

Now... if I'm riding in a competitive LD rally, then all bets are off.... this Pilot Road below was brand new at the start of a 48-hour event I did back in 2003: :icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

IPB Image

After installing the Wilbers shock (increased ride hight by 15mm), I found that the turn-in on my beloved Avons was *so* fast, the bike actually felt a little twichy in some situations - high winds seemed to move the bike around a lot more, and high-speed stability didn't seem quite so planted.

So I've gone back to the Pilot Roads since they don't have the narrow, triangular profile the Avons do.

The Pilot Roads are a bit better for me, though not a whole lot: I average about 7500-8000 miles out of the rear.

Now... if I'm riding in a competitive LD rally, then all bets are off.... this Pilot Road below was brand new at the start of a 48-hour event I did back in 2003: :icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

IPB Image

Looks like a few too many burnouts :icon_think: :icon_lol::icon_lol:

IPB Image

Looks like a few too many burnouts :icon_think: :icon_lol::icon_lol:

More like a 3000 miles of HIGH speed riding through the desert...

Mike

D208 gave me 4000 miles if I was VERY Good. I have 5800 on a Pilot Road combination with lots of tread in the middle. Will probably try a Sport front, Road rear combo next.

I am pleased with the handling of the Roads. I actually like them better than the D208.

20 or so thousand kms per year, new tires every year, Bridgestone 020's for touring, no burnouts, high jinks, wheelies. '02, 100,700 kms. However hope to rebuild the suspension this winter and would like to try a different tire. Penske rear shock and longer front springs.

ST1300 = 12,000 miles or more.

Harley = 20,000

Metzler ME880 worked the best on my FLHTCI. I would get 12,000 miles with some tread left on the front. Most of the riding was high speed (75-80 mph for a HD) long distance.

IPB Image

Warchild,

Have you ever tried running the Pilot Power on the Front and Pilot Road on the rear? I was told the softer Pilot Power needs to be replaced when the rear Pilot Road needs replacing. Thus better handling without wasting remaining tread on the front tire if you were to run both Pilot Roads on the front. Running the Power/Road combo makes you replace both tires at the same time.

Then again having a little extra thread on the front my provide some insurance in preventing any failures of the front tire. This is if you were running Pilot Roads on front and rear.

What do you think?

5,500 +/- with a pilot road rear. Mixed riding and about 65 passed down the drag strip. A couple of little burnouts here and there but not much.

I have a pilot road with about 4000 miles front and rear mixed riding no burn outs and still have lots of treads Left

I've been getting about 5000 miles out of a rear Avon and about twice that from a front. I've been thinking about Pilot Powers for the next set for a little added grip.

I usually run Pilot Roads and get between 5000 and 6000 miles. I'm running

a set of Diablo Stradas now and am about 2000 miles into them; the wear

looks like it will be about the same.

5,500 +/- with a pilot road rear. Mixed riding and about 65 passed down the drag strip. A couple of little burnouts here and there but not much.

I have a pilot road with about 4000 miles front and rear mixed riding no burn outs and still have lots of treads Left

But at least in NJ, the roads make turns. Here in S.E. Florida, I'm not that lucky. If I were still up in NY, I'd venture to say if I were a little more conservative, and no drag racing I'd get close to 7K miles out of the rear tire.

IPB Image

Dale u chickenshit, u had more than enuf tread to bump yer average at least another +5 mph...

These are my rear tire mileages:

Current, Pirelli Strada 4k miles and bald.

Contiforce 3800 miles to cord.

B'stone 57 4650 miles till cord. (thought Id try it once more for mileage)

Conti. Road Attack 4438 miles till cord.

B'stone 020 (FJR specific tire) 4400 miles to bald.

Metzeler Z6 4174 miles to cord. ( This tells me it will be identical in mileage to the Pirelli Strada)

I ride hard, but not THAT hard. :icon_confused:

Somewhere between 5000 & 6000 on Metzler Z6's. I'm trying a different tire this time around and like the combination so far. Michelin Pilot Power front and Road rear. I've put a couple of thousand miles on them and am very happy with their performance.

Somewhere between 5000 & 6000 on Metzler Z6's. I'm trying a different tire this time around and like the combination so far. Michelin Pilot Power front and Road rear. I've put a couple of thousand miles on them and am very happy with their performance.

Is the tread wear even between the front and rear tire? Or is the front wearing faster (being a soft compound) than the rear? Any handling issue running the two different tires? How do the feel in the rain? :icon_cool:

Is the tread wear even between the front and rear tire? Or is the front wearing faster (being a soft compound) than the rear? Any handling issue running the two different tires? How do the feel in the rain? :icon_cool:

OH MY GOD DUDE! For a final time... the front and rear wear out about the same time! and he wouldn't know at 2000 miles anyway! JUST BUY THEM ALREADY!! :icon_angel:

Mike