CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tired of CCT noise...so...heres what I did

SR71BLACKBIRDXX

I dont know...it seems to me that you would want constant tension on the camchain with no way to develop slack. I think the only way to improve on the OEM CCT would be to have a stonger spring on the inside. Im no engineer, but the way Honda designed that part, its NOT supposed to back off. If an X-11 CCT is really better...Id like to know the difference. I doubt there is any at all..(except that its black)

As far as tension on the cam chain shoe..(the long rubber piece that the CCT rests on)..ive never seen one wear out. Im sure it will wear faster, but I dont think its an issue. It might go 100000 miles instead of 150000...who cares.

As far as tension on the cam chain shoe..(the long rubber piece that the CCT rests on)..ive never seen one wear out. Im sure it will wear faster, but I dont think its an issue. It might go 100000 miles instead of 150000...who cares.

Well, if it's the former.... those of us who are about to pass over 100,000 miles on the bike, we would care! :icon_wink::icon_biggrin:

I dont know...it seems to me that you would want constant tension on the camchain with no way to develop slack. I think the only way to improve on the OEM CCT would be to have a stonger spring on the inside. Im no engineer, but the way Honda designed that part, its NOT supposed to back off. If an X-11 CCT is really better...Id like to know the difference. I doubt there is any at all..(except that its black)

I'm not saying that you would ever want slack, that would cause timing issues. I'm saying that the CCT should provide decreased pressure at certain times and increased pressure at other times.

I agree with you in that the currect design definitely isn't designed to decrease pressure, ever! It can only extend due to spring force but the screw keeps it from retracting.

I just think that a fully sprung idler, with the correct tension, would be the best for the entire operating range.

Well, if it's the former.... those of us who are about to pass over 100,000 miles on the bike, we would care! :icon_wink::icon_biggrin:

Whine whine whine....Buy a new bike already.

J/K :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

After my 2246 mile trip to NC 2 weeks ago and several hours of high speed running on the interstate I now have this funny loose rattle sound in the front of the engine, could this be a cam chain? Sounds like metal vibrating against metal, I was thinking either the PAIR stuff or the Cam Chain.

Hey does someone sell a kit for PAIR block off?

After my 2246 mile trip to NC 2 weeks ago and several hours of high speed running on the interstate I now have this funny loose rattle sound in the front of the engine, could this be a cam chain? Sounds like metal vibrating against metal, I was thinking either the PAIR stuff or the Cam Chain.

Jeremy (RedJ) seels a sweet kit to block off the pair valves.

Jeremy (RedJ) seels a sweet kit to block off the pair valves.

Or you can do this:

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=34252

Or you can just remove the hoses, unplug the valve and cap off the manifolds.

That 4000 RPM thing is kind of interesting in itself. That's right about the only place my bike ever made noise, and since replacing the CCT there isn't any noise at all, but then I've only got about 200 miles on the new one.

I would have thought the design is the way it is for simplicity. An internal tensioner like the one on that big-ass cool looking car engine would leave for room for catastrophic engine failure if it ever let go- wouldn't it?

and since replacing the CCT there isn't any noise at all, but then I've only got about 200 miles on the new one.

Give it another 1000 miles or so... :icon_whistle:

The design of it is very simple and it should work great just about forever. And I guess it does since theres been no (or very few) reports of failure. Its just that it bugs me that it definatly gets louder as time goes on. Somethings not right with it

My guess is honda wanted to keep the noise from valve train to minimum,that is why they used this typo of device.All Yamahas that I`ve owned have a spring loaded pushrod with ratchet device,it can only extend or basically compensate for the wear.Never heard of any problems with them.However the valve train is more noisy on Yammies,becouse I guess they don`t have a countinous,linear adjustament for wear and load.

Is that Audi motor? Try to replace an alternator on this thing ,especially if it is 4WD. :icon_wall: :icon_wall:

I know one guy who almost commited seppuku trying to do that.

• 2 weeks later...

'01 XX. 8000 miles. 4000RPM +/- 200 get the failing CCT sound. Pissing me off as I want to ride a sewing machine again. Currently have a double green dot on it. I can buy ANOTHER double green dot, APE, or X11. Right?

Which one will give me the best (part) performance? My philosophy is that when something breaks, you should always try to upgrade in quality/performance. Which CCT will give me both? Is there a alternative to the three I've listed?

• 7 months later...

Yesterday I stuck a screwdriver in the end of the CCT with the bike running and revved it through the 4000 rpm range. Guess what..ITS ACTUALLY UNSCREWING ITSELF!!!! I couldnt believe it.

Mike, you've gone through three CCT units to this opoint, is that correct?

Did I read this thread too fast, or were all of your CCTs of the old design (the pre X-11 version)?

i got the double green dot from john do they last?

I went this route 30K ago and have had no issues.

Of course mine is blue...To match the bike!

Cam

Another idea, maybe the CCT is supposed to unscrew a little bit?

At Yanmar, we had a cam chain tensioner that was spring loaded. Under large RPM changes, the tensioner actually moved quite a bit to allow for lash. Just a thought?

Of course, there's always this option.

CamChainTensioner-01.jpg

Linky poo to article.

I have 2 '99 Birds with over 20K on each. I put the new double-dot CCT on the one I drag race just because of threads like this one (Never did hear any unusual noises nor did I notice any difference afterward). The street bike still has the original with 26K and I can't say I have heard any unusual noises from it either. Could be my bad hearing, but wife says it's only bad when she's talking to me. :icon_biggrin:

I bought a 2001 Fast Red Bird new in 2001 and the CCT started making noise at 8000 miles.

I replaced it with the new Double Green dot and it now has 45,000 miles and still quiet as a mouse

I sell over 20 a month of the Double Green Dot CCT's between here and Europe and have be told of only 4 cases where people complained of a new style double green dot CCT that started making noise in less than 10,000 miles.

Permanent Fix ? No way! But MOST of the time a good long term fix that is easy and cheap. No adjustments needed.

My .02

Now !!! I currently have 6 in stock for sale :icon_evilgrin: