CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cam chain noise remedy w/o replacing tensioner

XXBIRD

I've replaced mine with the X-11 about 10K miles ago. I had the annoying noise came back in about 4-5K after the new tensioner. Tech who dynoed my bike recently commented on it as well so I decided to explore a bit more. I took it apart, removed the outer shaft (the part sticks out pushing the chain guard) which threads on to the inner shaft. Before inserting the outer shaft, I rotated the inner shaft two turns which gave the spring pretty good pretension. Then, placed the outer shaft on the thread and continue to rotate with the little tool till the end. This created an extra force on the inner shaft wanting to rotate back pushing the outer shaft with a greater force.

The good thing is it works! It is as quite as it was when it was rolled out the dealer's floor.

That sounds good as long as it's not too much tension and wearing the chain guides, a friend XX I rode seemed noisy so when he did his valve clearnace check we checked the chain tension and it was tight, it looks like the plunger is out to far and when it gets a little side play it rattles, if I had a lathe I would experiment machining down the lifter (cct) mounting face so it would sit deeper reducing the amount the plunger has to be extended out, it's either that or with the plunger extending out too far it reduces spring tension just enough to cause noise, in that case your fix may be a more permenent fix. Just my 2 cents

MJ.gif

How can I go to court with this shit.

Guest rockmeupto125
it looks like the plunger is out to far and when it gets a little side play it rattles, if I had a lathe I would experiment machining down the lifter (cct) mounting face so it would sit deeper reducing the amount the plunger has to be extended out, it's either that or with the plunger extending out too far it reduces spring tension just enough to cause noise, in that case your fix may be a more permenent fix. Just my 2 cents.

Good analysis. People have reported good results by doing just that...taking 2mm off the mounting face.

"]has anybody tried the mechanical cct that is on ebay????http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=34284[/
quote]

I have one of these,replaced stocker years ago after my #3 or# 4 honda part failed yet again. Works like a charm.Btw I also tried that trick with extra "preload" on stock tensioner but noise come back .In my opinion tensioner fails becouse spring ( metal) losses its property due to the heat.

I have one of these,replaced stocker years ago after my #3 or# 4 honda part failed yet again. Works like a charm

How much tinkering does it take to get it adjusted just right?

Do you just install it, start the bike and turn until the noise stops?

How often have you had to adjust it?

How much tinkering does it take to get it adjusted just right?

All you need is a long extension arm for the socket you use to make it really really tight.

Do you just install it, start the bike and turn until the noise stops?

No no... you tighten untill you hear a loud "pop" sound.

How often have you had to adjust it?

Every time after you come back from gym or everytime you would like to do an engine rebuilt.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I wouldn't be too comfortable with a solid support resting on the chain guard not allowing any room for chain to bounce as the speed changes.

Having replaced mine and the noise coming back after a few thousand miles, my fix is as follows:

I simply loosen the little screw under the centre bolt right off (reverse thread), let it go (you hear a little thunk as the ratcheted rod shoots back), then my "secret" is to tighten the screw about 1/16th to 1/32 of a turn (reverse thread remember), to be sure that the next part of the ratchet is engaged.

My theory is that the one way ratchet part of the CCT should have finer teeth, as when the cam chain starts to stretch a bit, a tiny gap develops between the CCT ratchet rod foot and the metal backing of the cam chain guide plate, causing the rattle.

Until the cam chain stretches enough for the ratchet to move another notch (probably take many thousands of miles for this to happen) and put full pressure back on the guide plate, there will be a rattle.

Also, brand new CCT's have a nice firm foot to ratchet rod fitting, but after a while, develop play where the foot is pinned to the rod, compounding an insufficient pressure on the plate problem.

Its a "guess" I suppose as there are no clicks even when you turn the screw with the CCT removed in your hands.

All you don't wanna do is put excessive pressure on the screw as I understand that the cam chain guide plate is teflon pad lined on the cam chain side and if pushed too hard against the cam chain (via the CCT plunger), then it could wear excessively.

All you wanna do is just add a bit of pressure to the cam chain guide plate and then test it out. You might even feel that less than 1/ 32 of a turn is necessary. Depends how much play you have :D

I have had to do this twice to my new CCT and each time my rattles have gone away for the next couple of thousand miles.