CBR1100XX.org Forum

Somewhat off topic, Sticker removal

Hobicus

Well, I finally got my old CM 400 running perfect, so it's off to my buddy for paint.

We're trying to figure out the best way to remove the stickers on the side covers. We don't want to really have to sand them, because the finish is pretty OK as is, we just need the stickers removed. Isn't there some form of chemical we can put on it to melt the adhesive that won't hurt the plastic?

Thanks everyone in advance.

Try a hair dryer and peel it off. I used a product called "Goof Off" to remove the adhesive on my bike. The Auto Paint stores also sell a type of erasing wheel you put on a drill. A single edge razor blade will also help, just keep a low angle, will probably have to sand and feather a bit. Have fun

I wouldn't recommend any chemicals to actually remove the stickers. Just heat them with a hairdryer or heatgun, then peel them off. If you don't have the tools, just let them sit in the sun for awhile, then peel them. To remove any adhesive, you can use any number of chemicals for the job, but the most common household product would probably have to be mineral spirits (paint thinner). Follow up with some Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) because the mineral spirits will leave an oily film behind.

We don't want to really have to sand them, because the finish is pretty OK as is

You will still need to lightly sand them (just enough to take the gloss off)for good paint adhesion.

Can't wait to see pics.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything that can remove a sticker that old safely. The glues, stickers, and paint are very similar chemically, so it's hard to affect one and not another. I'd recommend you call your local auto body paint supply and ask.

I didn't even think about the age of the stickers when I posted. This will probably require a different approach.

Doing this type of thing on an almost daily basis, I have gotten pretty good at using a razor blade without scratching the paint. You will need to have it in one of those scraper things, and keep it at a low angle like hjacobs said. The trick is to get the razor blade in between the sticker and the paint using the adhesive as a buffer to avoid damage to the paint itself.........sounds harder than it really is.....but then again, I've had a lot of practice.

Since you are repainting anyway, 3M makes a spray on product called woodgrain and stripe remover (or something like that) that seems to work well on older, more stubborn stickers. Just follow the directions on the can and it should just bubble right off.

I've been told that Easy-off oven cleaner will work also, but have never tried it myself.

Good luck, and be sure to post pics when you are finished.

I should probably clarify a couple of things:

We're going to be re-painting. It's not a matter of repainting, it's a matter of all the sanding required before the re-paint. We don't want to damage or scuff the plastic during the cleanup, so we don't have to do major work to prep for the re-paint.

I'm thinking a rubber eraser on my dremmel tool might do the trick.

It's actually a pretty nice old bike. It's got factory hard luggage (with keys) and with the exception of needing new tires, it's a perfect around town bike. I'll post pictures when it's all said and done. We're going to paint it a cobalt blue.

I like to use the credit card trick. As long as the sticker is not under a clear it's (I think so) the best way to go.

Actually any peice of hard plastic will do. Once you have taken it off you can clean the excess glue with WD-40.

It's a longer process but 100% safe for the paint.