CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cons for 6mm Shim???

kjclark7

are there any cons in doing the 6mm shim

It will make your bike taller therefor harder to launch at the drag strip therefor giving you higher sixty foot times making you look as tho you do not know how to launch a bike and if you are short, you might fall over costing you thousands of dollars to replace all the body work and the cost of you taking time off of work to heal your broken toe that the bike fell on. That's all. :icon_think:

Guest rockmeupto125

Raises the bike. Not only does that make it a longer reach to the ground for your legs, its a longer reach to the ground for the kickstand and centerstand as well, and you need to take that into consideration when you are parking someplace that may have a less than consistant surface. Adjusting the chain is a bit more vague as well.

Other than the height issues listed above, it's the best and cheapest mod you can do to your bird. I believe it raises the rear of the bike about an inch and quickens the steering considerably. With the corbin on my bike and it raised up, I have a hard time pushing it around while seated. I can live with that for the gains.

Other than the height issues listed above, it's the best and cheapest mod you can do to your bird. I believe it raises the rear of the bike about an inch and quickens the steering considerably. With the corbin on my bike and it raised up, I have a hard time pushing it around while seated. I can live with that for the gains.

Concerning 6 mm shims. If one were to change their suspension, ie Olins rear shock and front springs, would that do what shims do, albe it I suppose a lot more, and way more expensive. Hope this isn't an idiotic question. :icon_redface: At 5'6" I don't "walk" my bike around sitting, in fact I push it around when necessary. I most often use a small "plank" under my side stand, never travel without one. I still struggle to get it on the centre stand :icon_redface: Who won the fight last nite?

The increased rear height causes more air to hit my Givi Top box, I was only able to get up to 166 MPH indicated in a 30 MPH headwind. That was coming home from HookersXX! Ask Toxxic he knows how windy it was on that trip!

rockmeupto125,

what do you mean with the chain adjustment???

Yeah I never thought of that. I'm still adjusting it to the factory spec :icon_doh:

Shit I'll bet the earth's going to fall off it's axis now :icon_shifty:

You need to keep the chain on the looser side of spec after shimming. The angle of the swingarm at rest is farther out of direct line with the front sprocket than the stock setup, so the chain will tighten a bit more when the suspension compressses..

Guest rockmeupto125

Thanks, Tim, you beat me to it.

Chain too tight is gonna put way too much stress on the countershaft bearings, seal, and yes, the chain.

Zzziinnnngggg!

Raises the bike. Not only does that make it a longer reach to the ground for your legs, its a longer reach to the ground for the kickstand and centerstand as well, and you need to take that into consideration when you are parking someplace that may have a less than consistant surface. Adjusting the chain is a bit more vague as well.

And the green-red marks on the LHS of the swing-arm (if you still have them) about chain wear are not relevant anymore.

Yeah, my wife is 5'3" and it makes it harder for her to get on.

Just don't tell her (I didn't) :icon_biggrin:

Does it increase the weight on the front end?? anyone know the weight distribution before and after installing the shim?

V

For sure it does but you need scales to know before and after.

so would u say its safe to adjust the chain to 1 3/8" inches of slack, since that is the max for a stock setup? or go looser

I think 1 3/8'' (about 3 cm) is ok.

I read a lot about the shims coming out if used the notched washers, so after I notch them I roughed up the flat surfuce. Then I used red loctite (Something for pressed bearings would probly be better, but I did not want to go to the store) and off set the notches. It has only been 4500 miles, but no problem.

I read a lot about the shims coming out if used the notched washers, so after I notch them I roughed up the flat surfuce. Then I used red loctite (Something for pressed bearings would probly be better, but I did not want to go to the store) and off set the notches. It has only been 4500 miles, but no problem.

It probably takes longer to grind the washers than to drop the shock and slip them over the top. My first attempt was with notched washers, which is why it was a first attempt.

marty