CBR1100XX.org Forum

Corbin Seat

Mikesblackbird

At the recommendations on this board I am now riding on a Corbin Gunfighter and Ladies seat. I have ridden with it a few times and it really is different from the stock seat. My need to adjust my ergonomics is everywhere. I feel further away from the bars and lower in the seat. This has changed my hand positions and my hands on the controls feel so different that it feels very awkward. I've adjusted my seating and crouch position and is has helped some. Also, the seat is as hard as hell.

I am planning a 1000+ mile trip with 10 friends from Canada and am wondering if the benefit of the Corbin outweighs everything different I feel now.

Any tips, comments, encouragement, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike

It does take a lil getting used to.

The distance to the bars I noticed as well but the trade off for the weight displacement on my ass for longer trips it was worth it.

The stock seat was great for alot of the short trip riding but I love the Corbin for everything else.

Even looks better imo.

IPB Image

I agree with will, the stock seat is fine for short trips or clowning with friends but the corbin is better for distance in my opinion.

I swapped seats with Mrvivid5 one day and confirmed what how i felt it would be. He likes the stock seat tho so YMMV of course. It does take some getting use to tho

To all of you who have the Corbin seat with the Carbon fiber pattern leather, what do you do to clean\maintain it? Mine looks like it is getting dry and dirty, but this seems like a seude type of leather, so I am unsure what to do to keep it in good condition.

To all of you who have the Corbin seat with the Carbon fiber pattern leather, what do you do to clean\maintain it? Mine looks like it is getting dry and dirty, but this seems like a seude type of leather, so I am unsure what to do to keep it in good condition.

Mine is the smooth leather and I use saddlesoap and then a leather conditioner and it looks and feels great - a little slippery though.

Thanks for the input on the Corbin. I agree the stock seat is a great seat for short runs and around town. I have friends who have the Corbins on their touring bikes and they swear by them.

Mike

I use the same leather treatment I use for the leather car interior. I treat it at least once a month.

I use rainwater and sunshine...

I use rainwater and sunshine...

+1...... :icon_redface:

I keep telling myself that I need to take care of it........ :icon_smile:

Yes. Like Will said, it Corbin displaces the weight off your tailbone. My lower back/tailbone is especially sensitive, so for me it's like night and day. The Corbin is not especially soft though, but you get use to it. I like the GF and Lady with raised padding personally :icon_wink:

I use this stuff http://www.obenaufs.com/

It makes gloves,shoes, etc much more flexible and seams to add some water repellancy. I have noticed that it causes the leather dye to bleed through onto your socks or hands. I have treated car leather and my Corbin. It is a waste of time on vinyl as it is not pourous. If you do use this or something like it, a hair dryer will accelerate the absorbtion into leather (or a day in the sunshine). Does not make the surface slick

As for the Corbin, I estimate it cuts butt burn by 75%. It is very firm but I really appreciate it after 150 mile or so. IMHO

When I picked up my 'bird back in November, it had a Corbin GF+L on it. I brought a sheepskin pad with me and used it for the ride home. 1190 miles done in one 320 mile day and on 870 miler. At the time the bike also had Heli bars on it. Can't say I liked the seating position at all nor was the seat comfortable. In particular, it was too wide at the thigh to seat junction and felt like I was splitting in half at stop lights. (I have a narrow ass).

A week later, the dealer shipped me the stock seat, and bars and they went on post haste. I couldn't be happier. I do use the sheepskin over the stock seat and it makes all the difference in the world. The seat is easlily 800 mile day comfortable and with the stock windscreen and bars I find the seating position as well as the air management about the best I have ever encountered on a motorcycle. I'm 5'10" about 220 lbs and can ride the bike 10-12 hr days with no problems.

Here is my perspective on Corbin.The one that I had on Fj1200 was very,very good,no complains.

Corbin for XX is mixed bag,no sliding forward and hitting fuel tank with your private parts,but why in the hell it has to be so hard.I had a honest pain in the butt after 10 -12 hours rides,I started to use thick,wool blanket to save my ass from suffering.

Another issue,your legs will bend more since the seat is lower.

In mean it is better then stock seat,but far from perfect.

I also had Corbin on 99 r1 ( very good) and 04 r1 (disaster).The foam,or whatever they call it is only 1/4 of an inch thick in the seating area, the whole thing is as hard as wooden board.

After 6 years,Corbin on XX was worn out ( the seat cover). I did`t bother with corbin for new cover( they want almost as much for cover as for new seat) so I decided to give a chance to Seargent.

They made new cover from basket wave vinyl,raised seating area by 1.5 inches,all for less then 200 bucks.

Finally I have a perfect seat,well at least for me.

BTW I think that leather makes seats harder then vinyl.Plus it soaks up with water,dries up in the sun,basically impractical for me.

Flat,plain vinyl is very hot in the summer,but basket wave pattern allows air to circulate,it is very comfortable in high temps.

Another issue,your legs will bend more since the seat is lower.

That's a scary thought.. I'm 5'10" and I think the pegs are too high now...

Yeah. I think I'll go back to the stock seat and use some sort of seat cover for comfort. I love the look of the Corbin, but the change in riding position is too drastic. I added lower pegs and Helibars to get the right feel for me and now it feels like it's back to the original stock set-up.

I think it's time to e-bay the seat.

If you can it would be best to get some adjustments from the stock Corbin seat when ordering. I never sent mine back for changes because I was afraid I'd never see it again.

I think it's time to e-bay the seat.

Ebay????

List it here first, have you seen one sit in our F/S section longer than a couple of hours? :icon_think:

:icon_wink:

I'm in a bit of a budget freeze now (moving to England in 4 months), but I needed a better solution for hauling the Mrs. around. The stock seat is certainly better for the pillon than the one on my Triumph Daytona, but that isn't saying much. It still slopes forward too much, and doesn't extend far enough. As she slides forward she winds up sitting on the ledge. I suppose I could gain 100lbs so my ass would fill the seat better, but I thought modifying the stock steat might be more prudent.

Despite being almost certain that I was about to permanently fuck up my seat, I embarked on a project to modify it anyway. I used a screwdriver to remove most of the staples (I left the cover attached at the front to make my life easier.) I then pulled out my angle grinder.

The angle grinder does a nice job of shaping foam. It's a bit difficult to control, but if you are careful it cleanly removes the foam, and leaves a smooth surface. I spent about an hour carving out some of the passenger seat foam to make an ass shaped depression. The next trick would be to extend the ledge. I couldn't find a good source of foam, until I stumbled upon knee pads in the garden section of Home Depot. They are just a 16"x8"x1" chunk of foam.

I cut the foam roughly to size with a handsaw. I used spray adhesive to glue this piece of foam in front of the ledge. Using the angle grinder and a hand sander I shaped the foam to match the original contours of the seat. This extended the ledge forward almost 2".

Thankfully the the stock seat cover has plenty of extra material... so all that's left is to restaple it.

I can't wait to try it out... assuming it ever stops raining here.

--Mark

I've put about 3000 miles on my Corbin, and after getting used to the change in riding position, I like it. It did what I wanted, getting rid of the butt burn on longer rides.

The two things I don't like, is the weight( HEAVY!), and the wider profile, which they could reduce if requested. I am 5' 8" 150lbs, and I still kind of tippy toe at stops just like the stocker. Even though it is lower, its width spreads your legs. Also thinking of some VFR bars to cut down on the reach.

I did the carbon material, and use their saddle cream to maintain. I'm sure this stuff is just something you can get local off of the shelf, just rebottled and marked up 100%.

If you get one and don't like it, or sell your bike, they have very good resale value on Ebay.

[attachmentid=990]

post-2092-1148063537_thumb.jpg

Guest rockmeupto125

"If you get one and don't like it, or sell your bike, they have very good resale value on Ebay."

This makes it almost a no brainer.

The stock seat sucks moist goat ass.

I'm just going to follow Joe around to day to see what he comes up with next.

The Corbin Seat is a Gagillion times better than stock for comfort but I think it easier to get my ass off the stock seat in the fun stuff.

I'm just going to follow Joe around to day to see what he comes up with next.

The Corbin Seat is a Gagillion times better than stock for comfort but I think it easier to get my ass off the stock seat in the fun stuff.

Let it go the seat sold 4 hours ago............

:icon_razz:

The Corbin carbon fiber GF&L works much better than stock for me. Several 1000+ miles days one 1500+ day.

I use Lexol to clean the Corbin. If you are going to do regular 1000+ mile days get spend a bit more and get a custom seat for around $500.

Question, how long does it take to ride 1000 miles???????? I changed my stock seat after 20,000 kms and I'm happy. As of yesterday I have 88,000 kms. I have Heli Bars and I'm height challenged, 5'6", and I like being a little lower. No, not shorter but lower on the bike. I do notice my thights are sometimes "sore" after a few hours on the bike. I don't get my ass back into that "ass catching section" of the seat cause my legs are too short but it is comfortable for my wife when riding two-up. I've given up wearing sport riding boots and wear my Daton's b/c the last time I resoled & rehealed I added to each, soles 1 1/2" heals 2" high. I feel more secure and don't have to lean the bike to get my foot flat on the ground. They are heavier though. I'm happy with the seat. I clean it with some Harley leather cleaner I have left over from my Harley days. Yes, it is slippery and a bit firm but I get off the bike every 2-3 hours anyway. I really a lite-weight compare to most on this board and avoid the rain whenever possible. This isn't possible when touring. I don't ride at night if I can possible avoid it b/c I don't have great night vision and the "crazies" come out at night as do animals when touring. The seat is very attractive and had it been available when I purchased it, Fall, '02, I would have had it heated. Yes, it is heavier than stock. Titanium, gun-metal, ostridge side panel, and red piping, as is the bike. In '02 I paid $525. Can. for it. I'd like to find something to cover the passenger section when riding solo.

Thanks to those gentlement who answered my questions a week or so ago!!

Now that I'm here, what's the life expectancy of the rear shock and is it worth rebuilding or should I spring for something else, or a new one? Even though I'm certainly not the fasted rider by far, I feel my suspension is no longer up to the task of fast(er) riding. I tried to follow a gent on a Beemer, K 1200 S and all thing being equal, he was a better rider, braver, and, it appeared, had better suspension. I guess that famous BMW technology pays off. Cheers from B.C.

Question, how long does it take to ride 1000 miles????????

Well... if you can ride 200 miles at a time, here's one possible answer to your question.

Ride 200 miles @ 76 mph (you'll only be arrested and do serious jail time for that speed in Ohio)

At that speed, it will take 2 hours, 38 minutes to ride the 200 miles.

Exit the freeway, get to a gas station, get your gas, do whatever else you need to do and be back on the road doing 76 mph within a 22 minute window and you'll do 200 miles every three hours.

At that pace, it takes 15 hours to ride 1,000 miles.