CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brakes in Rain Rides

runninn

2nd bird (98)... these things brakes are fun in rain rides....that is , when initially braking.... only 25% braking power...and then they clear the rain fro the pads/rotors and BOOM... full braking... Makes hard stops in rain riding kinda interesting.

What pads are best for all weather riding?

I thought it was just my bike... but my previous model was the exact same (I had changes to EBC's semi'-metallics)...still no change in performance.

Recommendations? (I ride every day all year-round... 5-7" per month rain in mid-TN.)

2nd bird (98)... these things brakes are fun in rain rides....that is , when initially braking.... only 25% braking power...and then they clear the rain fro the pads/rotors and BOOM... full braking... Makes hard stops in rain riding kinda interesting.

What pads are best for all weather riding?

I thought it was just my bike... but my previous model was the exact same (I had changes to EBC's semi'-metallics)...still no change in performance.

Recommendations? (I ride every day all year-round... 5-7" per month rain in mid-TN.)

I've had what you describe with the high friction pads on cars and bikes, but I don't notice the stock Honda pads doing it...

Mike

I don't ride in the rain that often, so it's a little hard to remember. I just changed over to EBC HH pads all around. They work great with my new rotors in dry conditions. I think my old Galfer Black pads (very similar to OEM's) worked better in the rain.

If you want very consistent power,wet of dry,I would go with oem pad.It is sintered anyway.

Higher performance aftermarked pads will give you better stopping power once they dry.

EBC HH is O.K. when wet,but OEM is better in these conditions.

If you want very consistent power,wet of dry,I would go with oem pad.It is sintered anyway.

Higher performance aftermarked pads will give you better stopping power once they dry.

EBC HH is O.K. when wet,but OEM is better in these conditions.

+1 !!!

I find that the EBC HH pads kinda suck in wet conditions. I'd stay with oem myself.

I find that the EBC HH pads kinda suck in wet conditions. I'd stay with oem myself.

I think you all are not cleaning the old glazing off your discs when you put the EBCs on. I have always done this when changing pad formulations and have not had the poor wet performance you all have mentioned.

Well... this is about bike number 75 and I ride the rain frequently. The CBXX braking requires FULL attention during real downpours (the initial 25% and then 100% braking force is an eye-opener...about a 1-1.5 second delay in power).

Again, it occurred both before and after the new pads. I may switch back to OEM pads or full metallic. The linked braking shouldn't be a factor, in fact, it should have a positive effect. I will report back after the switch to other pads...thanks

I did thousands of miles in the rain on my OEM pads. Recently put on a set of the EBC's and was riding in the rain Tuesday, real down pour, and didn't notice any difference.

That said, them XX brakes are some serious brakes. I never rode anything with brakes that strong. About threw myself over the bars when I first got the bike. I got another bike and after riding the XX I gotta adjust to the longer stopping distance. I treat them with respect in rain or shine. But especially in rain.

I have heard Galfer green pads are excellent in the rain, having nearly linear power in the rain, easy on rotors, and shorter life than the black ones i use. I have only gotten caught a serious rain one time and had no problems as you describe with the black ones. The black ones are only slightly better than stockers.

I think you all are not cleaning the old glazing off your discs when you put the EBCs on. I have always done this when changing pad formulations and have not had the poor wet performance you all have mentioned.

Just curious: how does one do this? I'm about to put a set of EBC HHs on

my 'bird, so this would be useful information, if the process is required. Thx.

Anyone have reccomendations on the best place to order the EBC pads? Someplace that will ship up here for a reasonable price would be nice. I would use the same source as last year as they were awesome, but for the life of me I can't remember who they were.

thanks

marty

I have heard Galfer green pads are excellent in the rain, having nearly linear power in the rain, easy on rotors, and shorter life than the black ones i use. I have only gotten caught a serious rain one time and had no problems as you describe with the black ones. The black ones are only slightly better than stockers.

I think you may have your recommendations a little mixed.

I have the Galfer Greens. I think they are good if, and only if, you thoroughly clean your rotors prior to installing the Greens. The Greens are Organic / Kevlar, thus all of the metallic dust from the old OEM's or others pads need to be off the rotors first. A lot of folks hate the Greens. I would use them again, but if I ever go back to a metallic or semi-, I wouldn't ever go through the conversion hassle again to go back to Green.

That said, I think they (Greens) are totally crap in the rain. Since they aren't metallic, they turn to MUSH when wet.

Steel wool and contact brake cleaner.

Might want to use Scotchbrite pads, or at least stainless steel-wool.

The problem with using regular steel wool on stainless parts is that bits of regular steel in the wool can get embedded in the stainless, which will serve as focal points for corrosion. This is based on what I've learned about welding stainless (and keeping it stainless.) I'll admit this might be a moot point on a brake rotor.

I use a rotory scotchbrite pad... quick and easy if you have one handy.

Just ordered 3 sets from Here. $22.36/ set. I think that's pretty good from what I've seen so far. If anyone can get them cheaper, do me a favour and don't tell me.

marty

Thats a great price. I just paid 33.??$ for a set 2 weeks ago from the Stealer. :icon_doh:

I did need them right away though. :icon_frown: