CBR1100XX.org Forum

SICK BIRD

02BIRD

Exactly what I meant about support group.

I had to purchase the extended warranty on my 01 for 5 year coverage.

I guess you are back to Obbys list. Sounds like no fire. I know the coils are under the black plastic side covers next to the tank. Could have knocked a wire off. I may be able to pull my tank this weekend for pictures or to look for a possible gotcha. Need to change oil and clean filter soon anyway.

$75 and a purple windscreen (inside joke).

Anyways, FI Light is going off, ok. I would pull the battery power for a few minutes (resetting the ECM), it's worth a shot. The plugs could just be fouled though, it's happened to another member or so here before.

Do you have any mod's done? Power Commander, ignition, ect.? When did it last fire up ok? :icon_think:

One other thing I just thought of... there are safety switches on the clutch and sidestand. That could be the source of the problem too. Give it a try in neutral with the side stand up and clutch pulled in.

no mods

i tried the battery on the battery all i took off was the neg. terminal is that o.k.

i unpluged the cdi box under the rear end for a few minutes to see if it would reset.

i am going to pull the plugs i will check for spark a the same time. 13000 miles but i have seen brand new plugs junk

think i should remove the gas tank and flush it to be sure no water in there?

and i ran the bike last week ran real good but this is the 2nd time with this problem 1st time it started after a while thats why i think spark plugs

it has safty switches but they will not let it even turn over but i will still try it

no mods

i tried the battery on the battery all i took off was the neg. terminal is that o.k.

i unpluged the cdi box under the rear end for a few minutes to see if it would reset.

i am going to pull the plugs i will check for spark a the same time. 13000 miles but i have seen brand new plugs junk

think i should remove the gas tank and flush it to be sure no water in there?

and i ran the bike last week ran real good but this is the 2nd time with this problem 1st time it started after a while thats why i think spark plugs

it has safty switches but they will not let it even turn over but i will still try it

Man you have to check for spark :icon_wall: If you don't want to mess with pulling the plugs just yet get a volt meter across the two DC supply wires on one of the coils to see if you have ignition. :icon_angel:

Ok ok fine $100 but you deliever the damn thing... :icon_wink:

You gotta check for spark man. If I was closer I would help you out, unless you wanna drive it down to VA.

I didn't buy no extended warranty for my bike. Unless they gave it to me when I bought the bike, as the also gave my wife a helmet, and knocked off setup fee's and crap... Lets just say I was an asshole, I got better credit than most and I bought my XX and sold another for them also the same day :icon_cool:

i am going to so.carolina in june if it is not fixed i will drop it off on the way

i will do some checking this weekend hope i can find the problem if not i have a backhoe a 6 ft. deep hole should fix the problem

i am going to so.carolina in june if it is not fixed i will drop it off on the way

i will do some checking this weekend hope i can find the problem if not i have a backhoe a 6 ft. deep hole should fix the problem

Don't worry about current :icon_hand: MUST HAVE VOLTAGE :icon_wink: Dude I"m in RI if you're against the wall........

Just a hunch... check your vent lines to the throttle bodies for the presence of raw fuel. If found, look to your presure regulator (on the end of the fuel rail). There's an internal diaphragm that keeps the fuel & vacuum seperated... if that is compromised, the vent lines will flood. See page 5-62 of the manual for vent line(s) diagram.

I found this out the hard way... :icon_doh:

Don't worry about current :icon_hand: MUST HAVE VOLTAGE :icon_wink: Dude I"m in RI if you're against the wall........

:icon_shhh: shutup... You can drop it off at my house in June.. Don't rush, just bring the bike the key and title :icon_twisted: I will meet you in a deserted parking lot, my name is Smith.. . :icon_biggrin:

Anywhoo.. Best thing to do is to get a voltmeter and start checking for voltage. Make sure you have that first, sometimes even with a somewhat good battery the battery don't have enough juice to creat the spark to fire up the bike...

If it smells like fuel from the tailpipes it is obviously putting fuel in to the cyl's. Sounds to me like you have no spark and you're flooding the engine. Stop looking at all these other things, and see if there is a spark or not.

I think you have a confused issue here, I believe you now have a flooded engine which is preventing it from starting, this was not the original intermittant fault you mention in your first post, it's a symtom of it that clouds the issue, my guess is your bike would start right now if it wasn't flooded, to clear the flooding you need a good power source (car battery) turn the bike over with the throttle fully open, this allows air in there and clears the fuel out, you could pull the Fuel pump fuse while doing the also, once dried out try and start her, you mentioned before that the FI light stays on and you don't hear the fuel pump then that changes somewhere in the thread, I think the fault cleared during your efforts to start her leaving you with a flooded engine that still won't start, once you have her running again, note down the conditions if she stops again, FI light - fuel pump etc

So.... Where are we now? Does it have spark? is it running? :icon_pray:

i too would like to know, must be so stupid he doesn't want to say...................did you have the ingnition switched on.........was there petrol in it............do you actually own a motorbike

i took a week vacation to finish the new garage bike has not even been looked at in over a week.

hope to get it sorted out soon i will try pulling the fuse and drying it out i still think it is flooded

new garage is awsome even has 100 amp service and is 200+ feet from the house :icon_dance:

+1 on a 100 amp service for the garage.

You can never have too much power.

I put a 200 amp in my wifes horse barn. ( a converted pig barn). It was just $20.00 more, and who knows she might buy a hair dryer for each of them. :icon_wink:

Let us know about the bird.

I figure the same issues will find me some day.

Let us know where you have gotten with the bike Mr.02.

FI motors can get flooded, but it's not common. If you smell fuel from the exhaust, it's flooded Period. Whether it's from excessive fuel or no spark, the end result is the same. CHECK THE DAMM SPARK !!!

Verify what you have going on with this initial crucial stage of diagnosis. If you have spark, is it strong? If the plugs are bigtime fouled with fuel, the spark may not be jumping across the electrodes, but higher up in the plugs itself. I've seen it happen. I would suggest that if you are going through the effort of lifting the tank to gain access to the plug wires that you swap the plugs out for good measure as well.

If there is any other advise you need in helping you through this, just post up. This is something stupid that's going on and we'll get though it.

Adam

Thanks adam

i really appreciate the help i believe it is something simple.

i will (with all the help) get it running real soon with gas as high as it is i need to.

i will be in touch and yes the first thing i will do is check for spark

Steve

thanks to all

went out sunday morning and after sitting for almost two weeks it started did not even crank for 2 seconds when it fired up. So i am sure it just got flooded some how. i ran it for almost 120 miles yesterday ran strong as ever. I don't know why it flooded (old gas, wet motor, ???)

so the question is what next do i ride her and see if it happpens again?

:icon_think: