CBR1100XX.org Forum

SICK BIRD

02BIRD

2002 WILL NOT START CAN SMELL FUEL

SEAMS THERE IS NO SPARK THIS HAPPENED TWO WEEKS AGO ALSO, RAN FINE FOR A WEEK THAN HAPPENED AGAIN :icon_wall:

ANY IDEAS

IT TURNS OVER FINE I HAVE NOT CHECK FOR FI CODES YET

I HAS FUEL I CAN HEAR THE PUMP KICK ON THAN STOP :icon_wall:

MAYBE WATER IN THE GAS? :icon_wall:

maybe the caps lock button is also stuck on your bike and making it not start :icon_whistle:

j/k

Have you had the tank off lately.. check your lines for kinks or anything

+1

Sounds like you iether Kinked, or put the vacuum lead on the wrong spot (don't ask me how I know that :icon_whistle:)

sorry about the cap locks i did the air cleaner but i has run after that almost a tank of fuel

all i did was to prop up the tank nothing was removed i can smell fuel when it is cranking over

You will smell alot of fuel if you crank it and the vacuum line is kinked or plugged back on the wrong spot ... the little vacuum line goes on the little picket on the side facing the front of the bike .... it is common for people to put it on the little nub on the bottom of the petcock.

CHeck for spark first. Do you have a timing light? The type with the inductive clamp on pick up that goes onto a spark plug wire?

Pull one side of the fairings off(lower) and clip the timing light onto any spark plug wire you can reach. Make sure the battery is charged and crank it over. ALways check spark first when you have a no run condition. Then go from there.

i will check for spark i might need to pull a plug to do this

No need to pull a plug ... just pull a wire if need be .. or use one of those amp/volt meters that just clamp around a wire if you don't have a timing gun

sorry about the cap locks i did the air cleaner but i has run after that almost a tank of fuel

all i did was to prop up the tank nothing was removed i can smell fuel when it is cranking over

You will smell alot of fuel if you crank it and the vacuum line is kinked or plugged back on the wrong spot ... the little vacuum line goes on the little picket on the side facing the front of the bike .... it is common for people to put it on the little nub on the bottom of the petcock.

His bike doesn't have a petcock.

+1 on the petcock plumbing. There is a "nipple" on the petcock under the tank that isn't actually a nipple, if you hook your vacum line up to it bikey no worky. It's a very common mistake. Do a search in Garage section. There is a recent thread explaining it with pics and diagrams.

+1 on the petcock plumbing. There is a "nipple" on the petcock under the tank that isn't actually a nipple, if you hook your vacum line up to it bikey no worky. It's a very common mistake. Do a search in Garage section. There is a recent thread explaining it with pics and diagrams.

Petcock on an FI bike??? :icon_naughty: . Pretty sure that problem was only on the carbed birds.

Anyways, what is your FI light doing? Blinking or staying On?

Page 5-12 in the manual says...

Stays Lit (bike no starty):

Open or short circuit at the input power line of the ECM

Faulty engine stop relay

Faulty engine stop switch

Faulty ignition switch

Faulty bank angle senseo

Faulty ECM

Blow main fuse B (30A)

Blown engine stop fuse (10A)

Blown fuel pump fuse (30A)

Open circuit in engine stop switch ground wire.

Engine stop switch in Off position.

----------------------------------------

Personally, I would start with the fuses and kill switch.

my 2 cents.

Kill Switch

I have had a few of them go faulty on me over the years..

What you need to do is follow the loom down from the switch assembly and unplug it from the main loom..

Turn the ignition on, and using a big wrench, short across the two BIG terminals on the starter solenoid ( it will spark as it will draw a lot of current, but it will make the starter fire up )

If she fires you know the problem is in the kill switch for sure..

i have these directions from another forumn so i will try the kill switch thing tonight and look at the fuses

i have been told by a number of fellow bird riders that the killl switch should be the first thing i try.

Just verified the kill switch on my 01. Kill switch in kill position, turn on ignition and the lights come on including FI. No pump sound. Bike will not turn over. Leave ignition on and switch kill to run, pump will run and FI light should turn off. I THINK that these bikes have a fuel pressure regulator which keeps a constant pressure on the injectors. If this fails, too much pressure will keep the injectors from opening. I have had this fail on my truck.

I suggest lifting the tank again and looking for something knocked loose. A wire or line. If you have another spark plug you could remove one wire, and attach the plug to it. Ground it well, ( a clamp or locking pliers should do). Some ignitions do not do well with a unloaded output, so make sure the plug is in the circuit. If you see spark, then it is air or gas. DO NOT remove a plug from a cylinder and try to ground that plug. If gas is in the cylinder, it can be pushed out and ignited by the sparkplug. Painful, deadly, or burned up bike.

Since the FI light does not go out, I am betting on a regulator/ sensor problem. The FI light should go out when a sensor sees enough pressure in the rail. I don't know, but I suspect that the ignition could be cut off if the computer sees no fuel pressure.

Good Luck,

Craig

My fi light goes out within 5 seconds. Do you hear the pump run?

Have you verified everything on Obby's list? Then spark?

I still wonder if you have the fuel line from the tank to the fuel regulator pinched.

Keep us informed, I may be able to lift my tank this weekend and see how the 01 is plumbed.

No one should go bikeless. I think there is a support group for that.

You mention fuel smell when cranking.

Is it coming from the tank area or the exhaust. By now, if you are actually pumping fuel, you should smell raw gas at the exhaust.

THE FI LIGHT DOES GO OUT AND THE PUMP STOPS

THE FUEL SMELL IS FROM THE PIPES

STILL IN THE DARK IF THERE IS A SPARK HAVE NOT CHECKED THAT YET

AND ABOUT THAT SUPPORT GROUP I AM USING IT YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!!

SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS I WRITE MACHINE PROGRAMS ON THIS COMPUTER AND ALWAYS USE caps..

Sell it, I will give you $50

Will look nice having 2 silver birds downstairs :icon_twisted:

When you kill switch is on and the key is on the bikes pump comes on for like 3 seconds and goes off. When your bike is fired up your FI light should go out within a few seconds also..

Check for spark, check all your fuses

Also being your bike is an 02' your bike is still covered under warrenty. At least my bike came with a 5yr warranty same as the goldwings...

One nice thing about the bird is the warranty if should you ever need it. :icon_wink: